PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Mounts, and players.

Implayingnude
2017-10-09, 09:25 PM
So my group has a druid, and a fighter both who go into melee constantly. I'm wondering if I could optimize a Halfling duel wielder, or archer to ride one of those players as a team for a mount?

I've looked and have yet to see anything against this.

Potato_Priest
2017-10-09, 09:44 PM
Nothing rules-wise against it.

Personally, I find the idea of fighting well while riding a humanoid somewhat... unlikely, but there it will depend on your DM.

Mith
2017-10-09, 10:03 PM
What I've done is a Kobold riding a giant Elk Moon Druid, which works well for the encounters. I doubt one could ride a humanoid without impacting the ridden person's ability to fight.

Malifice
2017-10-09, 10:06 PM
So my group has a druid, and a fighter both who go into melee constantly. I'm wondering if I could optimize a Halfling duel wielder, or archer to ride one of those players as a team for a mount?

I've looked and have yet to see anything against this.

Get used to using the readied action a hell of a lot.

And dont forget to take the Mounted Combatant feat for maxium lols.

Xetheral
2017-10-10, 06:16 AM
Get used to using the readied action a hell of a lot.

And dont forget to take the Mounted Combatant feat for maxium lols.

Following up on what Malifice said, Sentinel for the mount synergizes amazingly well with the rider having Mounted Combat.

Also, ask your DM if they'd houserule to permit the mount and rider to act simultaneously on the initiate count of whichever one goes last. It removes the need to ready actions every single turn and makes combat much simpler at the table.

nickl_2000
2017-10-10, 06:29 AM
Tomorrow night I will be playing the first game with a Moon Druid (using Sentinel) and Bladelock (using Mounted Combatant). We will see how it goes :smalltongue:

As soon as the Stone Sorcerer get Stone Aegis at level 6 it will get even more interesting.

Malifice
2017-10-10, 08:28 AM
Also, ask your DM if they'd houserule to permit the mount and rider to act simultaneously on the initiate count of whichever one goes last. It removes the need to ready actions every single turn and makes combat much simpler at the table.

I would say 'absolutely not.'

The rules for intelligent mounts are pretty clear. If you want the mount to act on your own initiative then it can only take the dash, disengage and dodge actions.

With an intelligent mount you get to pick one. It is either under your control or it acts independently.

Malifice
2017-10-10, 08:36 AM
Tomorrow night I will be playing the first game with a Moon Druid (using Sentinel) and Bladelock (using Mounted Combatant). We will see how it goes :smalltongue:

As soon as the Stone Sorcerer get Stone Aegis at level 6 it will get even more interesting.

Seems a little bit pointless because you kind of want to be attacking the moon druid.

Although don't forget to take hellish rebuke. On their turn you force them to attack you, the Bear attacks them as a reaction thanks to Sentinel and then if they hit you hellish rebuke them.

Pretty easily countered by grabbing you and dragging you off the horse (bear?) though.

nickl_2000
2017-10-10, 08:49 AM
Seems a little bit pointless because you kind of want to be attacking the moon druid.

Although don't forget to take hellish rebuke. On their turn you force them to attack you, the Bear attacks them as a reaction thanks to Sentinel and then if they hit you hellish rebuke them.

Pretty easily countered by grabbing you and dragging you off the horse (bear?) though.

We are a little concerned with the bladelock taking to much abuse. My plan as the Moon Druid is to be a Dire Wolf (pack tactics, knockdown on hit) and use the reactions from Sentinel to keep people on the ground. Alternately I'm considering playing as a Zanskaran Viper from the Tome of Beasts. It's got a wicked poison attack that blind enemies. Combine that with extra chances at attacks and it will make a big difference.

And more importantly than anything else, it should be massive amounts of fun

Xetheral
2017-10-10, 11:02 AM
I would say 'absolutely not.'

The rules for intelligent mounts are pretty clear. If you want the mount to act on your own initiative then it can only take the dash, disengage and dodge actions.

With an intelligent mount you get to pick one. It is either under your control or it acts independently.

I agree the rules are clear. That's why I recommended asking for a houserule.

nickl_2000
2017-10-11, 10:09 PM
Turns out I can't give a low down on how it went. It was an extremely RP heavy night with only one combat where a giant spider was most effective