PDA

View Full Version : Low Magic Tolkien System

Forty-Two
2017-10-10, 12:55 AM
I'm looking for a low-magic AD&D-based homebrew I read a while ago. It was set in the LotR universe. I remember there being a soft-cap at around 6 (no, it's not E6), and magic cost hit-points to cast. I'd appreciate any info pointing towards the system.

Altair_the_Vexed
2017-10-10, 05:08 AM
I'm sorry, I don't know that one.

But can I ask - Why use AD&D, when The One Ring (dedicated system) and Adventures in Middle Earth (modified D&D 5e) are well-supported, well-liked, thoroughly excellent Middle Earth RPGs, currently in print?

Knaight
2017-10-10, 05:32 AM
I'm sorry, I don't know that one.

But can I ask - Why use AD&D, when The One Ring (dedicated system) and Adventures in Middle Earth (modified D&D 5e) are well-supported, well-liked, thoroughly excellent Middle Earth RPGs, currently in print?

There's also Burning Wheel, which isn't technically speaking a middle earth RPG, but only in the sense that they couldn't advertise it as such because they didn't have the rights - it's clearly heavily Tolkienien.

Forty-Two
2017-10-10, 12:05 PM
Just to clarify, I'm looking for a specific system, not for general suggestions. I am aware of existing commercial systems (such as Burning Wheel, The One Ring, and Adventures in Middle Earth), but they are not the system I am looking for. This is also why I specified AD&D, since I remember that was what the system was based on.

JeenLeen
2017-10-10, 12:51 PM
As a suggestion for another way to search: I typed "AD&D middle earth" into Google and got a few homebrew hits. Not sure if they are what you want, but trying that or words like 'Tolkien', 'low-magic', etc. might find the system you want.

Airk
2017-10-10, 12:57 PM
Just to clarify, I'm looking for a specific system, not for general suggestions. I am aware of existing commercial systems (such as Burning Wheel, The One Ring, and Adventures in Middle Earth), but they are not the system I am looking for. This is also why I specified AD&D, since I remember that was what the system was based on.

Given that, I think the title is misleading.

Psikerlord
2017-10-15, 08:18 PM
You might be interested in Low Fantasy Gaming RPG for a low magic D&Dish type game ( https://lowfantasygaming.com/ ). Max level 12, 8 classes only 1 with magic, martial exploits, predominately humans, etc