PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new game for a community.

Draconi Redfir
2017-10-10, 04:14 AM
online group I’m in is starting to fall apart, partly because we really don't have a lot of things to do with one another any more. used to be we were all part of the same minecraft server, but now that server is dead, we've moved on, and a few years later, people are starting to split from the group.

We're trying to find ways to bring it back together, including new games we could all take part in. That said, Does anyone know of any games that meet all, or at least most of the following criteria?

-Free (or at least cheap)
-Mass Multiplayer (at least 50 people at once)
-easily accessible / learn-able for new players
-Features more co-operation within the group rather then compition
-Leans more to PvE then PvP, but could still have PvP options
-lets groups separate themselves from the rest of the server population, but keeps the server population present in case anyone wants to join
-not pay-to-win
-not too grind-heavy
-at the same time not too easy to get to “end game” level, some people like to rush that and instantly get bored. That or have a lot of “end game” content or whatnot.
-can be run on most computers, even those with kind of terrible graphics cards and such
-probably not a shooter
-maybe some building / crafting aspect idk
-allows for diverse role-play

... stuff like that? i was looking at the game "Tree of Life" (http://store.steampowered.com/app/361800/Tree_of_Life/) on steam, but some others did some digging, and apparently it kind of sucks in that if you don't log on / pay a rent on your settlement at least once every six days or so, you basically loose all your stuff and have to start over again. among other things

idk if a game like this exists, but if you've got some suggestions, throw 'em at me and we'll see what happens. thanks.

LansXero
2017-10-10, 10:12 AM
World of Warcraft seems like it could be a good fit.,

Draconi Redfir
2017-10-10, 12:55 PM
kind of doubt it. as it doesn't really fit the "cheap", "easily acessable" or "non-grindy" aspects.

LibraryOgre
2017-10-10, 02:49 PM
Perhaps LOTRO?

Using your list:
-Free (or at least cheap): You can pay, and it's worth it to buy a small amount of points (Preferred v. Freep is a bit of a step, but worth it, even if you don't go VIP)

-Mass Multiplayer (at least 50 people at once): Yep.

-easily accessible / learn-able for new players: Some classes are less accessible, but the core stuff you'll get as a Freep are very straightforward

There is a PVE area, and you can do individual duels, but most of the game is PVE

-lets groups separate themselves from the rest of the server population, but keeps the server population present in case anyone wants to join
Raids and skirmishes can be just for your group, though I don't know of any that can handle 50 players at once.

-not pay-to-win
-not too grind-heavy
You can wind up grinding, but it's fairly optional. If every chooses complimentary crafting options, you can do pretty well with gathered components.

-at the same time not too easy to get to “end game” level, some people like to rush that and instantly get bored. That or have a lot of “end game” content or whatnot.
-can be run on most computers, even those with kind of terrible graphics cards and such
-probably not a shooter

Lots of folks role-play on the servers, and if you set up a Kinship (i.e. a guild) that everyone joins, you have your own Kinship chat that can include everyone, even those on raids.

Olinser
2017-10-10, 07:21 PM
online group I’m in is starting to fall apart, partly because we really don't have a lot of things to do with one another any more. used to be we were all part of the same minecraft server, but now that server is dead, we've moved on, and a few years later, people are starting to split from the group.

We're trying to find ways to bring it back together, including new games we could all take part in. That said, Does anyone know of any games that meet all, or at least most of the following criteria?

-Free (or at least cheap)
-Mass Multiplayer (at least 50 people at once)
-easily accessible / learn-able for new players
-not pay-to-win
-not too grind-heavy
-probably not a shooter

... stuff like that? i was looking at the game "Tree of Life" (http://store.steampowered.com/app/361800/Tree_of_Life/) on steam, but some others did some digging, and apparently it kind of sucks in that if you don't log on / pay a rent on your settlement at least once every six days or so, you basically loose all your stuff and have to start over again. among other things

idk if a game like this exists, but if you've got some suggestions, throw 'em at me and we'll see what happens. thanks.

50 players at once you're basically limited to FPS or MMOs. There are almost no other game genres that allow that many people to play at once. So if you're saying 'probably not a shooter' then you're effectively confined to only MMOs.

Algeh
2017-10-10, 07:56 PM
You could go old school and run a MUD somewhere, I suppose.

Sajiri
2017-10-10, 09:18 PM
Maybe things like Ark, Dark and Light, Conan Exiles? I've only played Ark of those ones so far, but they're a highly customisable experience, especially if you play on pc and use mods for it too. If you can find an active server, or better yet rent your own/set one up on a spare machine you can set all the rules and rates yourself. Official servers probably have the highest population but they are known for being absolutely terrible, but I hear RP servers can be pretty fantastic.

For actual MMOs, Im not sure, it feels like there aren't a lot of good ones these days. Most of them seem to just put an emphasis on solo leveling to cap, then grind the same repeatable tasks over and over.

Draconi Redfir
2017-10-10, 09:28 PM
currently we're thining maybe guild wars 2. we'd love ARK, but it's both kind of expensive, and difficult for some computers to run sadly.

Sajiri
2017-10-10, 09:43 PM
Ive had a lot of trouble keeping interest in GW2. There's nothing wrong with it at all, just something about it feels off to me. But then, that could also be because none of my friends play it right now.

I will say with Ark, I forgot the price had gone up (I bought it on sale when it was still in early access) but I think the amount of hours I've gotten out of it has more than justified the initial cost. I can run the game okay turning a few of the settings down a bit and my graphics card could really do with being upgraded these days, it's still not perfect but the game has been optimised greatly since it first came out. If you ever see it on sale (which might be possible, as an expansion (that you dont require) is due to launch this month and they may do a sale on the base game) I'd say its worth picking it up.