PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Statting the X-Men's powers

Westhart
2017-10-10, 08:21 AM
So I watched one of the X-Men (new to me), think it was days of future past or similar title...
Anyhow I was looking through it and I was wondering, how would you stat all the powers? I mean Blink can TP but she makes gates to do so, which anything can go through/be forced through, so saying she has greater teleport at will doesn't really fit. Meanwhile regeneration does not fit the regen of Wolverine, as his protects him from disease, and he does not age (because his cells constantly repair themselves ?)

Storm's powers would probabaly be easier, Su Flight, control winds etc

Scott: Laser beams... maybe a disintegrate at will ('cept he doesn't exactly control it :smalltongue:) that comes form his eyes?

Anyhow, how would you stat the powers?

Red Fel
2017-10-10, 08:37 AM
So I watched one of the X-Men (new to me), think it was days of future past or similar title...
Anyhow I was looking through it and I was wondering, how would you stat all the powers? I mean Blink can TP but she makes gates to do so, which anything can go through/be forced through, so saying she has greater teleport at will doesn't really fit. Meanwhile regeneration does not fit the regen of Wolverine, as his protects him from disease, and he does not age (because his cells constantly repair themselves ?)

Scott: Laser beams... maybe a disintegrate at will ('cept he doesn't exactly control it :smalltongue:) that comes form his eyes?

Anyhow, how would you stat the powers?

Wolverine is basically an Elan with the Wedded to History feat, an unlimited supply of PP, automatic usage of Elan Resilience, and at-will automatic Body Adjustment and Body Purification powers. He also has weapon grafts.

Storm just has at-will uses of the various weather abilities (Control Winds, Control Weather, Lightning Bolt, etc.). Probably levels in the Stormlord class. She's basically a Cleric with the Air domain and unlimited spell slots.

Blink I don't know very well, but it sounds like she casts Gate. Contrast with Nightcrawler, who casts Greater Teleport at-will.

Cyclops has Searing Light/Scorching Ray/Disintegrate modified with Ocular Spell. It's an at-will ability, but automatic; he has a custom magic item that suppresses it.

Westhart
2017-10-10, 09:05 AM
Wolverine is basically an Elan with the Wedded to History feat, an unlimited supply of PP, automatic usage of Elan Resilience, and at-will automatic Body Adjustment and Body Purification powers. He also has weapon grafts.

Storm just has at-will uses of the various weather abilities (Control Winds, Control Weather, Lightning Bolt, etc.). Probably levels in the Stormlord class. She's basically a Cleric with the Air domain and unlimited spell slots.

Blink I don't know very well, but it sounds like she casts Gate. Contrast with Nightcrawler, who casts Greater Teleport at-will.

Cyclops has Searing Light/Scorching Ray/Disintegrate modified with Ocular Spell. It's an at-will ability, but automatic; he has a custom magic item that suppresses it.

So much for me thinking they would be difficult to stat up :smalltongue: On Blink, it would be a modified version, as she can not summon creatures through it.

Lanth Sor
2017-10-10, 09:42 AM
Anyhow I was looking through it and I was wondering, how would you stat all the powers? I mean Blink can TP but she makes gates to do so, which anything can go through/be forced through, so saying she has greater teleport at will doesn't really fit.

Create a portal and any who pass through are teleported to the location the portal only lasts 1 round and can be dismissed. A range of to the moon so 238,900 mi. She can also cause things to become ethereal. She can also make and throw javelin of teleportation. Even placing beacons to teleport to later.

Meanwhile regeneration does not fit the regen of Wolverine, as his protects him from disease, and he does not age (because his cells constantly repair themselves ?)

Technically he has a healing factor which translates to DND terms of Fast Healing. How elastic his body is due to his healing factor's speed determines scaring. So when he was middle-aged or younger he wouldn't scar but when he became old and venerable he begins to scar. His healing factor probably would have given him a good 500+ years of life but the adamantium bones poison him causing the healing factor to degrade faster than normal. But other than thaty he would simply have a bonus to fort saves equal to his fast healing. The adimantium skeleton is a combat boon but a life curse. He would have the ability to regrow body parts aswell just a regen does but the rate would depend on his age catagory. There are a few things that can negate his healing factor, Death, the Muramasa Blade(a Katana that has a peice of his sprirt in it), and Carbonadium(a special metal that negates healing factors). Basically you would make a 3rd option to Regeneration and Fast Healing.

She effectively can cast any druid spell that has to do with air or can be contrived to do with air. her flight is literally her controlling the air around her. The kineticist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/kineticist)does a really good job at making a working version of her.

Scott: Laser beams... maybe a disintegrate at will ('cept he doesn't exactly control it :smalltongue:) that comes from his eyes?

If your going for balance think DFA breath weapon but Optic Blast dealing force damage and shapes can just be applied. The shape for him determines the damage and targeting. One shape would be equal to bull rush +15 but only do 3d6 while another shape would be equal to bull rush +150 and do 10d6. Basically its about focusing power like you would a hose only through your eyes. He also has a psionic feild that makes him immune to the effects and could use just that to negate the effect.

I'm pretty sure i missed some stuff and Storm is an omega level mutant meaning granted effectively +20 to druid spell casting for gaining her mutant power. Cyclops i guess holds back on the power output of his beams so my numbers may be conservative. Wolverine I feel confident is accurate. Blink could use more fleshing.

UrielAwakened
2017-10-10, 10:36 AM
Cyclops' beams aren't heat-based, they're concussive.

He deals force damage.

Westhart
2017-10-10, 10:38 AM
Create a portal and any who pass through are teleported to the location the portal only lasts 1 round and can be dismissed. A range of to the moon so 238,900 mi. She can also cause things to become ethereal. She can also make and throw javelin of teleportation. Even placing beacons to teleport to later.

Technically he has a healing factor which translates to DND terms of Fast Healing. How elastic his body is due to his healing factor's speed determines scaring. So when he was middle-aged or younger he wouldn't scar but when he became old and venerable he begins to scar. His healing factor probably would have given him a good 500+ years of life but the adamantium bones poison him causing the healing factor to degrade faster than normal. But other than thaty he would simply have a bonus to fort saves equal to his fast healing. The adimantium skeleton is a combat boon but a life curse. He would have the ability to regrow body parts aswell just a regen does but the rate would depend on his age catagory. There are a few things that can negate his healing factor, Death, the Muramasa Blade(a Katana that has a peice of his sprirt in it), and Carbonadium(a special metal that negates healing factors). Basically you would make a 3rd option to Regeneration and Fast Healing.

She effectively can cast any druid spell that has to do with air or can be contrived to do with air. her flight is literally her controlling the air around her. The kineticist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/kineticist)does a really good job at making a working version of her.

If your going for balance think DFA breath weapon but Optic Blast dealing force damage and shapes can just be applied. The shape for him determines the damage and targeting. One shape would be equal to bull rush +15 but only do 3d6 while another shape would be equal to bull rush +150 and do 10d6. Basically its about focusing power like you would a hose only through your eyes. He also has a psionic feild that makes him immune to the effects and could use just that to negate the effect.

I'm pretty sure i missed some stuff and Storm is an omega level mutant meaning granted effectively +20 to druid spell casting for gaining her mutant power. Cyclops i guess holds back on the power output of his beams so my numbers may be conservative. Wolverine I feel confident is accurate. Blink could use more fleshing.
Wow, here I am without a clue as to how to stat these and BAM :smallbiggrin:

How would you stat other X-Men powers?

Xavier "the professor" would have telepathy, and probably psionic powers...

Mystique (Raven): Disguise self at will?

JeenLeen
2017-10-10, 10:57 AM
I'm thinking from the 90s cartoon.

Mystique: I'd recommend Alter Self, as she truly transformed. It's not an illusion like Disguise Self.
Same applies for Morph.

Beast: racial template for how he's not exactly human looking and has some stat buffs. Power-wise, Skill Focus in Acrobatics, Tumble, Climb, give him a Climbing speed, and Spiderwalk (at least for the versions where he can walk on walls and upside-down.) Maybe look at that ape-like race from the Planar book for some inspiration.

Jubilee: depending on how powerful you make her attacks, range from Minor Illusion (limited to lights) combo'd with Daze to some actual attack spells. Maybe augment with a Bull Rush or knock prone ability, if going with that version.

Professor X: he is tricky. I'd say Mindsight to his range, but requiring concentration. Upon anyone he has line-of-sight with or senses via Mindsight, he can use any of several spells: Detect Thoughts, Dominate Monster, Mindrape (sans [Evil] tag), and probably others, but I don't have a good idea of all the mental-based spells in 3.5. Also a modified version of... whatever spell lets you possess someone and put their soul in a canister, but without the target's soul being displaced.
Also has a form of Astral Projection, but to a mental realm instead of the astral plane. Maybe even Wish or limited salient divine ability Alter Reality while in a mental plane? That probably overestimates his ability.

Westhart
2017-10-10, 11:28 AM
on mystique, I meant to put altar self my bad :smallredface:

Red Fel
2017-10-10, 11:45 AM
Professor X: he is tricky. I'd say Mindsight to his range, but requiring concentration. Upon anyone he has line-of-sight with or senses via Mindsight, he can use any of several spells: Detect Thoughts, Dominate Monster, Mindrape (sans [Evil] tag), and probably others, but I don't have a good idea of all the mental-based spells in 3.5. Also a modified version of... whatever spell lets you possess someone and put their soul in a canister, but without the target's soul being displaced.
Also has a form of Astral Projection, but to a mental realm instead of the astral plane. Maybe even Wish or limited salient divine ability Alter Reality while in a mental plane? That probably overestimates his ability.

I mean, the Prof is basically just a Psion (Telepath) / Thrallherd. Most of what he does can (appropriately) be covered by Psionics. Of course, he also has a custom magic item/artifact/intelligent item that basically boosts his Manifester Level and lets him psy-scry better.

Point is, you can moderately replicate most of what the X-Men do, usually with spells/powers, but it's not an exact science, and unless you just throw out limits and say "use it at will," your end result is still going to be somewhat less powerful than the original model. D&D really isn't well designed for this particular bag of tricks.

For example, I could stat Jean Grey/Phoenix as a Psion (Kineticist)/ Pyrokinetic, but that's not 100%. I could stat her as a Swordsage/ Sorcerer/ Jade Phoenix Mage, but that's not 100% either. I could stat her as a Kalashtar with a Half-Elemental (Fire) template, and the Phoenix Force as a possessing Quori, but that still doesn't quite capture it, because the Phoenix Force is basically divine power, and it's pretty hard to replicate that with a finite number of specific spells/powers/maneuvers.

Westhart
2017-10-10, 01:51 PM
I mean, the Prof is basically just a Psion (Telepath) / Thrallherd. Most of what he does can (appropriately) be covered by Psionics. Of course, he also has a custom magic item/artifact/intelligent item that basically boosts his Manifester Level and lets him psy-scry better.

Point is, you can moderately replicate most of what the X-Men do, usually with spells/powers, but it's not an exact science, and unless you just throw out limits and say "use it at will," your end result is still going to be somewhat less powerful than the original model. D&D really isn't well designed for this particular bag of tricks.

For example, I could stat Jean Grey/Phoenix as a Psion (Kineticist)/ Pyrokinetic, but that's not 100%. I could stat her as a Swordsage/ Sorcerer/ Jade Phoenix Mage, but that's not 100% either. I could stat her as a Kalashtar with a Half-Elemental (Fire) template, and the Phoenix Force as a possessing Quori, but that still doesn't quite capture it, because the Phoenix Force is basically divine power, and it's pretty hard to replicate that with a finite number of specific spells/powers/maneuvers.

Yeah, it was more of an experiment, was wondering how close you could get them.