PDA

View Full Version : Rogue versus rouge.

halfeye
2017-10-10, 09:16 AM
I am annoyed when I see people misspelling rogue as rouge.

So I want to suggest that there might as well be a character type in games that's actually called a "rouge".

My initial guess would be that the character would be a rouge wearing thesbian with omni-sexual seduction and diplomacy as a large part of what they do. They would be inclined to intimacy and poisons ahead of knives, though knives wouldn't be entirely out of the question.

Tinkerer
2017-10-10, 09:21 AM
Well there was one made a while back for 3.5 https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Rouge_(3.5e_Class)

Joe the Rat
2017-10-10, 09:28 AM
D&D already has two flavors of magicien rouge: Neutral-inclined evokers (Dragonlance) and Evil necromancers with a penchant for global domination (Forgotten Realms).

Or you could go the anagram route, and make the rouge rogue-like, but with fun features like snake attack and find/remove tarps.

2D8HP
2017-10-10, 09:35 AM
I am annoyed when I see people misspelling rogue as rouge....

After correcting spell-check/auto-correct enough times, my phone now changes rouge into rogue (unfortunately it also "corrects" and into snd, because I kept typing "s" instead of "a" by mistake.

KillianHawkeye
2017-10-10, 10:34 AM

So I want to suggest that there might as well be a character type in games that's actually called a "rouge".

I think this is a mistake, because it would only serve to further confuse the issue. You would get into the situation where somebody would type "rouge" and you wouldn't know if they were talking about your new rouge idea or if they were still misspelling rogue.

Lord Torath
2017-10-10, 10:49 AM

My initial guess would be that the character would be a rouge wearing thesbian with omni-sexual seduction and diplomacy as a large part of what they do. They would be inclined to intimacy and poisons ahead of knives, though knives wouldn't be entirely out of the question.You mean make something up, similar to an alot (http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html)?

LibraryOgre
2017-10-10, 12:02 PM
And, of course, Rifts has long had Rouge Scientists and Rouge Scholars.

It's a common joke.

halfeye
2017-10-10, 02:09 PM
I think this is a mistake, because it would only serve to further confuse the issue. You would get into the situation where somebody would type "rouge" and you wouldn't know if they were talking about your new rouge idea or if they were still misspelling rogue.

Exactly so. However, that's then their problem, so maybe they'd learn the difference?

And, of course, Rifts has long had Rouge Scientists and Rouge Scholars.

It's a common joke.

So far as I remember, I've never heard of Rifts before.

icefractal
2017-10-10, 02:33 PM
They could take this class:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?91765-4e-Deadly-Rickster-(epic-Epic-Destiny)

LibraryOgre
2017-10-10, 02:50 PM
So far as I remember, I've never heard of Rifts before.

*shrug* No big. 20 years ago, it was one of the larger names. These days, it sometimes thinks it is.

hymer
2017-10-10, 02:56 PM
Well, it's going to be a problem. After all, rouges are overpowdered.

Anonymouswizard
2017-10-10, 03:09 PM
After correcting spell-check/auto-correct enough times, my phone now changes rouge into rogue (unfortunately it also "corrects" and into snd, because I kept typing "s" instead of "a" by mistake.

Thanks to at one point making sure I had my BBcode all nice and with both tags in the same capitalisation, my phone spent a period correcting quote to QUOTE.

No brains
2017-10-10, 04:27 PM
Since they charm and manipulate people, shouldn't mastermind rogues be called 'rouges'? Like how people nickname the shadow path monk 'ninjas'. That way someone is never too far off when they say they made a super-cool '[subclass] rouge'.

rooster707
2017-10-10, 07:26 PM
Thanks to at one point making sure I had my BBcode all nice and with both tags in the same capitalisation, my phone spent a period correcting quote to QUOTE.

I've done so many Masks character sheets lately that my phone automatically capitalizes Influence. (There it goes again...)

Honest Tiefling
2017-10-10, 07:37 PM
Exactly so. However, that's then their problem, so maybe they'd learn the difference?

Some of us have dyslexia and will not be able to distinguish these two classes at all. Which one has the make up and which one does the stabbing again? Eh, screw it, light them both on fire once you're the DM and fix the issue entirely.

Jay R
2017-10-10, 10:24 PM
Does this new class have any in-game purpose, or is it only a meta-class used to make fun of people who can't spell a particular word?

Misspelling frustrates me, too, but I don't see how that frustration justifies a new class.

Chaoes2210
2017-10-11, 04:48 AM
well well i think this is a mistake moviesonline.ac

KillianHawkeye
2017-10-12, 01:33 PM

My point was that it'd be everyone's problem, because you're intentionally making communication more difficult for all parties by adding to the linguistic clutter. In the English language, we can't get away from having words that sound similar or look similar, but within a more limited scope (for example, a game system) we can and absolutely should try to eliminate such points of confusion.

Right now, if somebody accidentally writes "rouge" here in the D&D forums, everyone knows that they probably meant "rogue". This is true only because, while "rouge" is a real word, it has no meaningful usage within the game rules. It's just a fancy way to say "red".

If you change things so that "rouge" and "rogue" are equally meaningful within the game's context, then nobody will ever know who is misspelling and who isn't. Ergo, you'll be increasing the difficulty of communication rather than decreasing it, and you probably won't help anyone learn to spell in the process.

In other words, the easiest way to spot a typo that results in a real word is when the misspelled word makes no sense in context.

Trampaige
2017-10-12, 02:17 PM
fun features like snake attack and find/remove tarps.

I just want to commend you for this.

Psyren
2017-10-13, 01:03 PM
If spelling on the internet truly bothers you, especially the sort that spellcheck will overlook (i.e. one legitimate word into another legitimate word), you're going to have a rough time here. Look to your skin, dear OP, and the thickness thereof.

halfeye
2017-10-13, 03:27 PM
If spelling on the internet truly bothers you, especially the sort that spellcheck will overlook (i.e. one legitimate word into another legitimate word), you're going to have a rough time here. Look to your skin, dear OP, and the thickness thereof.

Warfarin will do that.

2D8HP
2017-10-13, 04:49 PM
....So far as I remember, I've never heard of Rifts before.

It was a bit like TORG and Gamma World

Joe the Rat
2017-10-13, 11:26 PM
It was a bit like TORG and Gamma World...at the same time!

Slipperychicken
2017-10-16, 10:43 PM
Does this new class have any in-game purpose, or is it only a meta-class used to make fun of people who can't spell a particular word?

It's just for fun, though I admit I was pretty irritated the first few times I saw people make the misspelling here.

The main idea seems to be less mean-spirited, and more dealing with our folly through humor and creativity.

Vinyadan
2017-10-17, 06:35 AM
Also, Baton Rouge ≠ Bateau Mouche

Joe the Rat
2017-10-17, 07:15 AM
Bonus round:

If one were to translate thief-centric "humorous typos" into visual gags, how would you go about it?

...asking for a friend. :smallcool:

hymer
2017-10-17, 07:30 AM
Bonus round:

If one were to translate thief-centric "humorous typos" into visual gags, how would you go about it?

...asking for a friend. :smallcool:

Well, there's this (http://www.darklegacycomics.com/41).

Lord Torath
2017-10-17, 12:30 PM
Also this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0711.html).

Leon
2017-10-20, 06:46 PM
It comes down to the makeup of the class