PDA

View Full Version : Improving Bard abilities through an item

Specter
2017-10-10, 09:50 AM
So I've been thinking of making a custom item for the party's Bard (level 11 Lore). I would like for it to increase his bardic abilities in general.
This is what I have in mind:

BADGE OF THE BARDS
While you are wearing this badge, the power of your bardic abilities is improved. You gain the following benefits:
- When you give a creature a Bardic Inspiration die, that creature can use its reaction to move up to half its speed.
- When you use your Song of Rest, affected creatures recover two dice of hit points instead of one.
- You can use Countercharm as a bonus action instead of an action.

What do you think?

Specter
2017-10-10, 07:36 PM
Um... anyone?

PeteNutButter
2017-10-10, 07:41 PM
Um... anyone?

Totally almost commented earlier... but didn't really have anything to significant to say.

I'll say it looks fun, and there should be more items that boost key class abilities.

I feel like countercharm in particular needs the bonus action love, although I can't say I've ever seen it in action.

I'm not so sure about it being a badge. :smalltongue:

nickl_2000
2017-10-10, 07:52 PM
So I've been thinking of making a custom item for the party's Bard (level 11 Lore). I would like for it to increase his bardic abilities in general.
This is what I have in mind:

BADGE OF THE BARDS
While you are wearing this badge, the power of your bardic abilities is improved. You gain the following benefits:
- When you give a creature a Bardic Inspiration die, that creature can use its reaction to move up to half its speed.
- When you use your Song of Rest, affected creatures recover two dice of hit points instead of one.
- You can use Countercharm as a bonus action instead of an action.

What do you think?

First things first, it needs to be a jaunty hat... This is a bad item after all. At that level it is good, if it worth considering that the movement doesn't provoke AoOs? That's what the glamour bard does, and is super useful.

The other two are great, if your PCs use song of rest and your charm often

90sMusic
2017-10-10, 08:27 PM
5e is extremely sparse on content, I always look to other editions and pathfinder for inspiration.

For instance, the Singing Sword is a sentient weapon with the soul of a bard infused into it. For 5e mechanical conversion, just have it be able to use it's own bardic inspiration as a bonus action (maybe set it as a d8 or something). Maybe let it do this 3 times per day? Something along those lines. The sword sings constantly and when you talk to it, it always responds in song as well. It's hard to shut up.

If you want something with a bit more kick to it, you could revive the old practice of metamagic rods. Have it require attunement and give you access to a specific metamagic that you can use maybe 3 times per day or something along those lines. If you have a sorcerer in the party, maybe not so as not to step on their toes any, but otherwise i'd say go for it.

Older editions have lots of cool items that aren't too difficult to bring over. Just, obviously, avoid the ones that break the bounded accuracy like magic items that grant +6 to a stat and all that.

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-10-10, 08:29 PM
Seems interesting!

Could make Vicious Mockery able to affect multiple targets also....

Maybe give it to the Bard and see how it goes. Don't explain it fully. If the item isn't soo exciting then have a new feature pop up. Somewhat like the tv show "Greatest American Hero" which no one else here probably ever saw but was great.

90sMusic
2017-10-10, 08:31 PM
Seems interesting!

Could make Vicious Mockery able to affect multiple targets also....

Maybe give it to the Bard and see how it goes. Don't explain it fully. If the item isn't soo exciting then have a new feature pop up. Somewhat like the tv show "Greatest American Hero" which no one else here probably ever saw but was great.

Believe it or not i'm walkin' on air...