PDA

View Full Version : Not the UA you were looking for: Homebrew thread, October edition

Beechgnome
2017-10-10, 10:18 AM
I ran one of these in August but I liked the Eladrin/Gith UA in September so it slipped my mind.

Anyway, here's a place where people can go if they itching for some content and found the UA wanting. You are both the audience and the suppliers of freshly brewed D&D beverages.

I'll throw a sacrificial lamb to start, riffing off the Samurai placement in Xanathar's book.

Here's my take on another Kara-Tur class. It's a first draft, so there's some a bit of sloppy language I need to clean up.

Rogue Archetype: Yakusa

You have trained to fight as a member of a gang and learned to operate in a city to get what you want, when you want it. Though called the Yakusa in Kara-Tur, rogues who take this path are called many names, from gangster to thug to operator, as well as a few names best left unsaid. Though you may no longer belong to such a gang, you carry their lessons with you, and are more than willing to teach others that you mean business.

Urban operator

Starting at 3rd level, you are adept at finding information and noticing what others do not in a town or city. You have advantage on survival checks when operating in these locations when it comes to following a trail, avoiding getting lost, or finding a location or resource.

As well, whenever you conduct Research (see UA: Downtime) to learn about city-specific lore or information, you halve the time and gold needed to accomplish the task.

Your heightened paranoia is also something you take with you wherever you go. You have advantage on perception checks to notice whether or not you are being followed.

Swarming opportunist

Also at 3rd level, when an enemy you can see within reach of your melee weapon is knocked prone, you can use your reaction to make an attack against them. You may not use your sneak attack ability on this attack if you have already used it this round, and if you do you it for this attack, you may not do so again this round.

Face in the crowd

At 9th level, you are adept at blending in with and moving quickly through a crowd, allowing you to strike your foes in broad daylight.

When you are in a crowded space, such as a market or a busy tavern or temple, and are not dressed or armed in a way that suggests a threat, you may take the hide action without appearing to hide at all. Should your targets make an insight check contested by your deception check and fail, they will see you, but will consider you insignificant and unmemorable.

As well, when you dash in a crowded city space, the people or terrain does not impose difficult terrain for you.

Coersive brutality

At 13th level, when you reduce an enemy to 0 hit points, you may, as a bonus action, target another enemy with an intelligence of at least 4 in an attempt to intimidate them. Make a Charisma (intimidation) check against their Wisdom (insight) check. If they fail, they are frightened of you until the end of your next turn.

While they are under this effect and if the target understands your language, you may make a Suggestion to them as if you were casting the 2nd-level spell. If they fail a Wisdom saving throw against a DC of 8 + your charisma bonus + your proficiency bonus, then they will comply to the best of their abilities and withthe same conditions as the spell. The effect lasts for 1 minute.

Creatures who are immune to the frightened condition are immune to this effect.

Deadly opportunist

At 17th level, you may now use your sneak attack when you use your swarming opportunist ability, and using it does not limit you from using it again on your turn.

Now it's your turn: can you do better than Fiendish options? Let's see it!

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-10, 05:08 PM
Majima kun would be pleased

Rebonack
2017-10-10, 06:04 PM
I say we endeavor to create at least 40 Dragonborn variants to compete with the teiflings.

clash
2017-10-10, 08:43 PM
I would remove the limit on swarming opportunist. Rogues can use their rraction to make a sneak attack normally I wouldn't limit it for this ability

Dankus Memakus
2017-10-10, 09:05 PM
I say we endeavor to create at least 40 Dragonborn variants to compete with the teiflings.

I like the new tieflings, I've never really liked the base tiefling and the new ones (specifically the strength one) seem fun

Honest Tiefling
2017-10-10, 09:28 PM

Hey, don't blame the poor tieflings just because they're popular.

Through to be fair, tieflings had multiple origins in 2nd/3rd, while I believe Dragonborn always had a singular one, but I don't recall their 4th edition lore very well. But some Dragonborn of non-human stock or of different dragon types wouldn't be amiss, I think.

Beechgnome
2017-10-10, 10:26 PM
I would remove the limit on swarming opportunist. Rogues can use their rraction to make a sneak attack normally I wouldn't limit it for this ability

I went back and forth on this. I guess the difference between this attack and an opportunity attack is that, for the most part, whether you get an opportunity attack is up to your opponent. They make the choice. But with this attack, it's up to you and your allies if you knock them prone, and so it seemed too powerful without some limitation (which I remove as the capstone).

I was thinking too (as a DM) about the potential for goblinoid yakusa, with hobgoblins armed with chains (ie. whips) and bugbears with their extra reach, and all of them able to strike an opponent up to 10 feet away should they fall. That's a lots of attacks on the poor fool who gets knocked over by a bully bugbear.

wilhelmdubdub
2017-10-10, 10:58 PM
illithid player race

Rebonack
2017-10-12, 01:49 AM
So I've been pondering Sorcerer and Warlock. Specifically how Sorcerer feels like they really aren't achieving any well defined gameplay space (some people disagree, of course). And the thought occurred to me, what if the Sorcerer were the short-rest caster and Warlock focused on at-will and recharge abilities? Of the two, Sorcerer would be 'easy' to adapt. Just give them the Warlock's spellcasting progression, toss in the spellpoint variant, and keep their extra pool of long-rest recharging spellpoints for juuuuust a little bit of extra kick.

Warlock is significantly more involved, so I wanted to run by the basic ideas here.

(New) Otherworldly Patron: At level one you choose a Patron as the source of your fell power. You may choose the Fiend, the Fae, or the Great Old One. The Patron choice offers you a list of additional spell choices, Eldritch Blast, and a Hex. Eldritch Blast and Hex may always be cast at will. Fiend offers you Consuming Hex, Fae offers you Beguiling Hex, and Great Old One offers you Horrifying Hex.

Evocation
Eldritch Blast: Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10+Cha damage. The damage type can be force or a single type you choose to be representative of your Patron. Pick one of the two damage types each time you cast this spell.
The spell creates more than one beam when you reach higher Warlock levels: two beams at 5th level, three beams at 11th level, and four beams at 17th level. You can direct the beams at the same target or at different ones. Make a separate attack roll for each beam.

Necromancy
Consuming Hex
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: 90 feet
Duration: Concentration
You place a curse on a creature that you can see within range. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 damage of your Patron's type to the target whenever you hit it with an attack. Additionally, if you reduce the target of your hex to 0 HP, you gain temporary HP equal to your Warlock level plus your Charisma modifier.

Enchantment
Beguiling Hex
You place a curse on a creature that you can see within range. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 damage of your Patron's type to the target whenever you hit it with an attack. Additionally, if you reduce the target of your hex to 0 HP, you may attempt to weave an enchantment around the next creature you hex. That creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or become Charmed by you for one minute.

Illusion
Horrifying Hex
You place a curse on a creature that you can see within range. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 damage of your Patron's type to the target whenever you hit it with an attack. Additionally, if you reduce the target of your hex to 0 HP, you may attempt to plant a horror in the mind of the next creature you hex. That creature must succeed on an Intelligence saving throw or become Frightened by you for one minute.

Invocations: At 1st level, you gain one eldritch invocation of your choice. Your gain an additional invocation every odd Warlock level.

(New) Pact Casting: You channel eldritch power from the spark of magic placed within you by your Otherworldly Patron. Starting at level two, you gain the ability to cast spells you know from the Warlock spell list. Your spell-slots recharge after a certain number of turns. To see if one of your spells becomes available, roll a d6 at the end of your next turn. On a 5 or a 6, the spell slot becomes available to you. You have a number of spell slots equal to your Intelligence modifier, representing the depth of your eldritch knowledge. Charisma is your casting ability, representing the force of will required to harness the alien power coursing through you.

At level 2 you may learn first level spells, 2nd at level 6, 3rd at level 10, 4th at level 14, and 5th at level 18. You begin with two 1st level spells known at Warlock 2 and gain an additional spell known every even level in addition to two Warlock cantrips of your choice.

Woo! That's a start. It'll require a few class features to be shuffled around, but I suspect it would work out pretty decently. You might notice that GOO doesn't get Awakened Mind anymore as their thing, but that's intentional. Awakened Mind instead becomes an Invocation granting 30' telepathy so any Warlock can decide to opt into such a flavorful utility option.

D-naras
2017-10-12, 02:54 AM
So I've been pondering Sorcerer and Warlock. Specifically how Sorcerer feels like they really aren't achieving any well defined gameplay space (some people disagree, of course). And the thought occurred to me, what if the Sorcerer were the short-rest caster and Warlock focused on at-will and recharge abilities? Of the two, Sorcerer would be 'easy' to adapt. Just give them the Warlock's spellcasting progression, toss in the spellpoint variant, and keep their extra pool of long-rest recharging spellpoints for juuuuust a little bit of extra kick.

Warlock is significantly more involved, so I wanted to run by the basic ideas here.

(New) Otherworldly Patron: At level one you choose a Patron as the source of your fell power. You may choose the Fiend, the Fae, or the Great Old One. The Patron choice offers you a list of additional spell choices, Eldritch Blast, and a Hex. Eldritch Blast and Hex may always be cast at will. Fiend offers you Consuming Hex, Fae offers you Beguiling Hex, and Great Old One offers you Horrifying Hex.

Evocation 1st
Eldritch Blast: Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Duration: Instantaneous

Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10+Cha damage. The damage type can be force or a single type you choose to be representative of your Patron. Pick one of the two damage types each time you cast this spell.
The spell creates more than one beam when you reach higher Warlock levels: two beams at 5th level, three beams at 11th level, and four beams at 17th level. You can direct the beams at the same target or at different ones. Make a separate attack roll for each beam.

Necromancy 1st
Consuming Hex
You place a curse on a creature that you can see within range. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 damage of your Patron's type to the target whenever you hit it with an attack. Additionally, if you reduce the target of your hex to 0 HP, you gain temporary HP equal to your Warlock level plus your Charisma modifier.

Enchantment 1st
Beguiling Hex
You place a curse on a creature that you can see within range. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 damage of your Patron's type to the target whenever you hit it with an attack. Additionally, if you reduce the target of your hex to 0 HP, you may attempt to weave an enchantment around the next creature you hex. That creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or become Charmed by you for one minute.

Illusion 1st
Horrifying Hex
You place a curse on a creature that you can see within range. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 damage of your Patron's type to the target whenever you hit it with an attack. Additionally, if you reduce the target of your hex to 0 HP, you may attempt to plant a horror in the mind of the next creature you hex. That creature must succeed on an Intelligence saving throw or become Frightened by you for one minute.

Invocations: At 1st level, you gain one eldritch invocation of your choice. Your gain an additional invocation every odd Warlock level.

(New) Pact Casting: You channel eldritch power from the spark of magic placed within you by your Otherworldly Patron. Starting at level two, you gain the ability to cast spells you know from the Warlock spell list. Your spell-slots recharge after a certain number of turns. To see if one of your spells becomes available, roll a d6 at the beginning of your turn. On a 5 or a 6, the spell slot becomes available to you. You have a number of spell slots equal to your Intelligence modifier, representing the depth of your eldritch knowledge. Charisma is your casting ability, representing the force of will required to harness the alien power coursing through you.

At level 2 you may learn first level spells, 2nd at level 6, 3rd at level 10, 4th at level 14, and 5th at level 18. You begin with two 1st level spells known at Warlock 2 and gain an additional spell known every even level in addition to two Warlock cantrips of your choice.

Woo! That's a start. It'll require a few class features to be shuffled around, but I suspect it would work out pretty decently. You might notice that GOO doesn't get Awakened Mind anymore as their thing, but that's intentional. Awakened Mind instead becomes an Invocation granting 30' telepathy so any Warlock can decide to opt into such a flavorful utility option.

Interesting ideas. Consider making Eldritch Blast and the Hexes cantrips, otherwise the warlock can't use both in the same turn, thanks to how Bonus Action spells work (unless I missed something and they are cantrips already). Also, I dislike the die roll recharge mechanic for PCs since out of combat it means that the ability is effectively at will but there will definitely be someone anal enough to want the die rolls. Maybe make it so the slot recharges after X rounds pass, where X is the level of the spell cast using that slot? Makes it so you can cast a 1st level spell for free every other round without the hassle of die rolls.

DarkKnightJin
2017-10-12, 04:55 AM
Interesting ideas. Consider making Eldritch Blast and the Hexes cantrips, otherwise the warlock can't use both in the same turn, thanks to how Bonus Action spells work (unless I missed something and they are cantrips already). Also, I dislike the die roll recharge mechanic for PCs since out of combat it means that the ability is effectively at will but there will definitely be someone anal enough to want the die rolls. Maybe make it so the slot recharges after X rounds pass, where X is the level of the spell cast using that slot? Makes it so you can cast a 1st level spell for free every other round without the hassle of die rolls.

I like the 'spell level = number of turns without that level slot' idea.
And I think he made Hex and Eldritch Blast class features so people don't grab either with Magic Initiate, but need a Warlock dip to get access to it.
Not sure if that's the option for Blast, but Hex as a class feature at-will would be pretty sweet.

Making them rely on Int AND Cha for their spells adds a little MAD into the class as well, if they want to optimize. I APPROVE!

Rebonack
2017-10-12, 10:03 AM

Derp, that's a good point. I had totally forgotten about the bonus action bit. Mostly I was just aiming to prevent people from poaching powerful class features with Magic Initiate. Maybe just no spell level at all? Still counts as casting a spell, but completely outside the 'leveled spells' paradigm?

As far as the recharge effect goes, well... I remember keeping track of '1d4 rounds' stuff back in earlier editions. It was kinda annoying. The roll for recharge mechanic is nice since it's very decisive. You roll at the beginning of your turn. Or maybe at the end of your NEXT turn to ensure a minimum one-turn downtime? That would keep the '1d4 rounds' aspect more or less intact. As you may be able to tell, this is still a WIP.

I like the 'spell level = number of turns without that level slot' idea.
And I think he made Hex and Eldritch Blast class features so people don't grab either with Magic Initiate, but need a Warlock dip to get access to it.
Not sure if that's the option for Blast, but Hex as a class feature at-will would be pretty sweet.

Making them rely on Int AND Cha for their spells adds a little MAD into the class as well, if they want to optimize. I APPROVE!

The use of Int for spell slots just kinda came in a flash of inspiration and I really liked it. It's what cemented the concept in my mind and made me start typing it up. I liked how the 4e Warlock had several stats that they wanted. It meant you needed to make some choices about how you were going to spread out your ability scores and it had a real impact on how the class played. In the case of this Revision Warlock, you can focus more on Charisma to get more powerful spells or Intelligence to get MORE spells. I would imagine for builds focused on blasting or control, you would want Cha while more utility based Warlocks would want Int.

Also note that Eldritch Blast's ray count, since it's a class feature now, scales with Warlock level rather than character level. This was pretty important since Agonizing Blast is more or less 'baked in' now. Makes sense, as this revision is arguably even more of an eldritch archer. Combat tends to be really fast in 5e. I've rarely seen fights last more than 5 rounds. That makes the recharge mechanic more or less function as 'your spell slots recharge per encounter' without saying so. Also means that the Warlock's out of combat utility can be quite high. Of course, with a smaller number of spells known they spell you DO pick are going to have a much greater impact on defining your character.

Puh Laden
2017-10-12, 10:49 AM
Sorcerer Metamagic: spend a number of sorcer points equal to the spell's level plus 1 sorcery point to cast a spell that has concentration without ending concentration on a spell you're already concentrating on. Does not work if you are already concentrating on two spells.

Rebonack
2017-10-12, 11:38 AM
Sorcerer Metamagic: spend a number of sorcer points equal to the spell's level plus 1 sorcery point to cast a spell that has concentration without ending concentration on a spell you're already concentrating on. Does not work if you are already concentrating on two spells.

That's... dangerous.

Anything that messes with the Concentration mechanic is dangerous and is one of things our pals who made D&D strongly discourage messing with whilst homebrewing. Concentration spells are balanced around one-per caster.

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-10-12, 01:44 PM
Hey, don't blame the poor tieflings just because they're popular.

Through to be fair, tieflings had multiple origins in 2nd/3rd, while I believe Dragonborn always had a singular one, but I don't recall their 4th edition lore very well. But some Dragonborn of non-human stock or of different dragon types wouldn't be amiss, I think.

In 4e, Dragonborn were a race created by Io, god of dragons, with three possible creation stories; the most common two are that they were born from lesser kin of the same elemental spirits that he used to forge dragons or that they spontaneously arose from his blood after he was split in two by Erek-hus, whilst the rare third story is that dragonborn were his original creations and he patterned the dragons on them when he created the dragons as living weapons to use in the Dawn War.

Back on topic, I present a couple of new homebrew races I've been tinkering with. I like my half-breed races, and I find the fact D&D limits us to just the half-elf and half-orc to be rather disappointing, so... here's some of the more "iconic" could-be-but-never-are races of D&D; the half-dwarf (Mul), the half-goblin, the half-gnome, the half-gnoll, the elf-orc (Tel-amhothlan), the dwarf-orc (Dworg) and the dwarf-elf (Dwelf).

Mul
Though many dwarven clans are uncertain of the prospect of intermarrying with humans, such unions can bear fruit. Sadly, most of the mulzhennedar are born into slavery, the result of long-lived tyrants forcing humans and dwarves together to breed a heartier, more valuable slave-stock.
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Constitution, +1 Strength
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Normal
Tireless: A mul ignores the first level of Exhaustion it suffers, and regains two levels of Exhaustion when it completes a long rest.
Limitless Endurance: A mul increases its hit point maximum by 1 point and further increases it by +1 point each time it gains a level.
Dwarven Vitality: A mul has Advantage on saving throws against Poison and Resistance to Poison damage.

Half-Goblinoid
As unlikely as it may seem, when humans mate with goblinoids, the resultant progeny possess some of the best mental qualities of both races, making them uncannily strong-willed, determined, assertive and driven. Half-goblins in particular feel a calling to the leadership role, and often become authority figures amongst goblinoid tribes or in adventuring bands.
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Dexterity
Vision: Darkvision
Sneaky Git: You have Proficiency in Dexterity (Stealth).
Me Mind's Me Own: You have Advantage on Wisdom saves versus Fear and Charm effects.
Goblinoid Blood: Choose either the Bugbear, Goblin or Hobgoblin Lineages. Your choice of subrace further determines your racial traits.

Bugbear Lineage:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Strength
Surprise Attack: If you manage to surprise a creature and land a hit with a melee attack on it during the first round of combat, you inflict extra damage equal to your Strength modifier +1 (minimum of +2 damage).

Goblin Lineage:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Charisma
Nimble Escape: You can Disengage or Hide as a bonus action on your turn.

Hobgoblin Lineage:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Intelligence
Martial Training: You have Proficiency with two martial weapons of your choice, and also with Light Armor.
Saving Face: When you miss with an attack roll, or fail an ability check or saving throw, you can choose to apply a bonus to the roll's result equal to the number of allies that you can see within 30 feet (maximum bonus of +5). After invoking this bonus, you cannot use this trait again until you have completed a short rest or a long rest.

Half-Gnome
With their inquisitive and friendly natures, it should be no surprise that trysts between humans and gnomes aren't unheard of. When such unions bear fruit, it's often quite a surprise to the gnomish parent, but most gnomes will welcome their halfbreed offspring, giving half-gnomes a surprisingly hospitable upbringing. Gnomish ingenuity and human adaptability proves quite the effective combination, as it turns out.
Ability Score Modifiers: +1 Intelligence, +1 Dexterity, +1 to one ability score of your choice
Size: Small
Movement: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Humanoid Build: You are treated as being a Medium creature to determine your capacity to lift, push, pull, drag and carry loads.
Works the Angles: You can use an Intelligence check to determine your Initiative, instead of using a Dexterity check.
Jack of All Trades: When you are called upon to make a skill check you do not have Proficiency in, you can grant yourself Advantage on that check. After you use this trait, you must complete a long rest before you use it again.

Racial Feat: Strong Blooded
Prerequisite: Half-Gnome
Effect: Your gnomish lineage is stronger than usual, giving you traits more akin to your ancestor. Choose one lineage from the following list and gain the attendant bonuses.
Rock Gnome: You gain +1 Intelligence and the Tinker racial trait.
Forest Gnome: You gain the Natural Illusionist and Speak With Small Beasts racial traits.
Svirfneblin: You gain the Stone Camouflage racial trait and qualify for the Svirfneblin Magic feat.
River Gnome: You gain the Waterborn and Deep Diver racial traits.
Arcane Gnome: You gain the Magic in the Blood racial trait.

Half-Gnoll
Half-gnolls are a rarity in the world, with those born outside of the depravities of the Butcher's Brood often having unusual background. Smaller and frailer than pureblooded gnolls, half-gnolls compensate with stronger minds and a heightened constitution.
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Strength, +1 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom
Filth-Eater's Gullet: You have Resistance to Poison and Advantage on Constitution checks against Poison and Disease.
Ripping Jaws: You have natural weapons in the form of vicious fangs, which lets you bite as an unarmed strike. A bite attack inflicts 1d4 Piercing damage.
Rampage: When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points on your turn with a melee attack, you can take a bonus action to move up to half your speed to another enemy and make a bite attack if this brings you in reach of that enemy.
Runt's Survival: You gain Proficiency in one skill of your choice.
Keep Up: You add your Proficiency Bonus to Constitution checks made to resist Exhaustion.

Tel-Amhothlan
The union of elf and orc is an oddity indeed, but when it happens, the resultant hybrids are weirdly graceful and well-formed, compared to their more common half-human kin. The mixing of elven and orcish blood is somewhat unstable, leading to great diversity in what traits are manifested by each individual hybrid. Surprisingly, the most common of tel-amhothlan origins stems from the Underdark, where drow men have been known to mingle with orc slave women, rather than risk their lives in the beds of their own females.
Ability Score Modifiers: +1 Dexterity, +1 Strength
Relentless Endurance: When you are reduced to 0 hit points, but not killed outright, you can instead choose to be reduced to 1 hit point instead. After using this trait, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.
Fey Ancestry: You have Advantage on saving throws against being Charmed and are Immune to Magical Sleep effects.
Keen Senses: You have Proficiency in the Perception skill.
Muddied Heritage: Tel-Amhothlans are chaotic breed and can favor either orcish or elvish aspects of their lineage. Choose the Orcish Brutality, Elvish Grace or Fae Magic subrace options.

Orcish Brutality:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Constitution
Savage Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you increase the damage inflicted by +1 dice.
Powerful Build: You are treated as being one size category larger to determine your capacity to Push, Pull, Drag, Lift and Carry.

Elvish Grace:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Dexterity
Fleet-Footed: Your base walking speed increases to 35 feet.
Natural Athlete: You have Proficiency in the Athletics skill.

Mystic Talent: You can cast one Wizard cantrip of your choice. Charisma is your casting ability score when casting the cantrips provided by this trait. At the DM's permission, at character creation, you can trade this racial feature for Drow Magic (PHB pg24); this choice cannot be undone later.

[I]Dworg
Hated and reviled by all but the most open-minded of dwarven clans, on most worlds, dworgs come into existence in only two ways; when a dwarf woman is assaulted by an orc and survives, or when a dwarf falls so far into evil that he -or she- will willingly consort with orcs. Though some accounts also exist of duergar deliberately breeding halfbreed offspring with orc slaves to use as superior, though still expendable, warrior-slaves.
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Constitution, +2 Strength
Relentless Endurance: When you are reduced to 0 hit points, but not killed outright, you can instead choose to be reduced to 1 hit point instead. After using this trait, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.
Martial Heritage: You have Proficiency with the Handaxe, Batleaxe and Greataxe.
Sturdy Frame: Your movement speed is not reduced by wearing heavy armor.
Savage Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you increase the damage inflicted by +1 dice.

Dwelf
Dwelves, also known as Alfar, are the fruit of rare unions between elves and dwarves. Resembling elves with the stature and something of the proportions of dwarves, these deceptively frail-looking creatures possess far greater strength than is apparent, alongside keen minds, driven attitudes and some of the strengths of both their ancestors.
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Strength
Blood of the Elder Races: You have Resistance to Poison and Advantage on saving throws against the Charmed and Poisoned effects. For special effects keying off of race, you are treated as both an elf and a dwarf.
Gifts of Creation and Destruction: You have Proficiency in your choice of two of the following: a martial weapon, a set of Artisan's Tools, a musical instrument, the Arcana skill, the Nature skill, or the Medicine skill.
Right of Blood: You belong to a subrace which determines the remainder of your abilities. Choose the Born to Stone, Born to the Wild, Born to Magic or Born to Darkness subrace.

Born to Stone - These dwelves are particularly dominated by their dwarven ancestry, making them hardier and more adept at surviving in the underground environments of their kin.
Ability Score Increase: +1 Constitution
Heed the Earth: You may add double your Proficiency bonus to History checks relating to the origin of stonework, and can cast the Mold Earth cantrip.

Born to the Wild - These dwelves possess wild elf ancestry, which grants heightened grace and awareness when it is the dominant aspect of their blood.
Keen Senses: You have Proficiency in Perception.

Born to Magic - When a dwelf possesses high elf ancestry that comes to dominate its racial mixture, it is possessed of an even sharper mind and inherent mystical abilities.
Ability Score Increase: +1 Intelligence
Arcane Birthright: You know 1 cantrip of your choice from the Wizard spell list, which uses Intelligence as its spellcasting ability score.

Born to Darkness - Only born of the union of drow and duergar, these "dark dwelves" possess magical talents unlike either of their progenitors.
Ability Score Increase: + 1 Charisma
Superior Darkvision: Your darkvision increases to 120 feet.
Sunlight Sensitivity: You suffer Disadvantage on attack rolls and on sight-based Perception checks made whilst you or the object of your attention is in direct sunlight.
Gloaming Hexes: You can cast the Eldritch Blast cantrip. At 3rd level, you can cast Unseen Servant once per long rest. At 5th level, you can cast Spider Climb on yourself once per long rest. Spells cast with this trait use Charisma as their spellcasting ability score. However, you cannot use spells granted by this trait if you are in direct sunlight.

Easy_Lee
2017-10-12, 02:47 PM

Let's start with Metallic Dragonborn.

Instead of choosing a chromatic dragon as your dragon ancestor, you may choose a goodly metallic dragon. In addition to changing the color of your scales, this affects your personality, making you more like your dragon ancestor. This choice has the following mechanical effects:

Instead of +1 Charisma, you gain +1 to the indicated attribute.
Your damage resistance changes.
Your breath weapon is a 15 foot cone. Instead of dealing damage, a creature that fails its saving throw suffers the indicated hazard or condition.

Brass dragons are talkative and love the intense heat of deserts. They usually make their lairs in high caves, preferably facing east to enjoy the morning warmth. Their territories always contain spots where they can sunbathe and trap unwary travelers in conversation.
Dragonborn Traits: +1 Charisma, Resistance to Fire, Breath Attack: Constitution Save or Unconscious for one round.

Bronze dragons are inquisitive and fascinated with warfare. They eagerly join an army given the chance, looking for a just cause and good pay. They also enjoy polymorphing into small animals to study adventuring bands.
Dragonborn Traits: +1 Constitution, Resistance to Lightning, Breath Attack: Strength Save or pushed to edge of breath attack area of effect.

Copper dragons are pranksters, joke tellers, and riddlers. Most are good-natured but also have a covetous, miserly streak. They are determined hunters, considering good sport at least as important as food.
Dragonborn Traits: +1 Charisma or Dexterity, Resistance to Acid, Breath Attack: Dexterity Save or speed is halved and cannot take reactions for three rounds.

Gold dragons are altruistic, graceful, and wise. They hate injustice, and often embark on self-appointed quests to promote the cause of good. Gold dragons often assume humanoid guises while traveling.
Dragonborn Traits: +1 Wisdom, Resistance to Fire, Breath Attack: Dexterity Save or Disadvantage on Strength-based attacks, checks, and saving throws for two rounds.

Iron dragons are savage or deceptive by nature and are considered to be most brutish and vicious of the metallic races. A few iron dragons are evil. Most of them are of neutral alignments, but still predatory and dangerous.
Dragonborn Traits: +1 Constitution, Resistance to Lightning, Breath Attack: Wisdom Save or Charmed for three rounds.

Mercury dragons are impulsive creatures, given to whimsy and rapid changes of direction, both mental and physical. They delight in unpredictability and are reputed to be mentally unstable.
Dragonborn Traits: +1 Dexterity, Resistance to Poison, Breath Attack: Dexterity Save or Blinded for two rounds.

Platinum dragons are the rarest of the metallic dragons. Many believe that only one ever existed. Should a Dragonborn claim to be descended from one, few will belive him.
Dragonborn Traits: +1 Any but Strength, Resistance to Radiant, Breath Attack: No save, heals targets you designate for an amount equal to your level.

Silver dragons are regal and embody all that is honorable about dragonkind. Good silver dragons assist good creatures in need, and often take the forms of kindly old men or fair damsels while traveling in humanoid lands. The few silvers who turn to evil maintain their honor and reputation; they do not engage in actions of petty malice or kill unworthy foes.
Dragonborn Traits: +1 Constitution or Charisma, Resistance to Cold, Breath Attack: Constitution Save or Paralyzed for one round.

Steel dragons are sociable, clever, and curious. They prefer the company of humanoids rather than dragons. They take humanoid forms and remain in them more often than in their natural draconic forms. They are also interested in the art, culture, history, and politics of humanoid races.
Dragonborn Traits: +1 Charisma or Intelligence, Resistance to Acid, Breath Attack: Constitution Save or Defened for one minute.

Sizzlefoot
2018-11-14, 08:00 PM
In 4e, Dragonborn were a race created by Io, god of dragons, with three possible creation stories; the most common two are that they were born from lesser kin of the same elemental spirits that he used to forge dragons or that they spontaneously arose from his blood after he was split in two by Erek-hus, whilst the rare third story is that dragonborn were his original creations and he patterned the dragons on them when he created the dragons as living weapons to use in the Dawn War.

Back on topic, I present a couple of new homebrew races I've been tinkering with. I like my half-breed races, and I find the fact D&D limits us to just the half-elf and half-orc to be rather disappointing, so... here's some of the more "iconic" could-be-but-never-are races of D&D; the half-dwarf (Mul), the half-goblin, the half-gnome, the half-gnoll, the elf-orc (Tel-amhothlan), the dwarf-orc (Dworg) and the dwarf-elf (Dwelf).

Mul
Though many dwarven clans are uncertain of the prospect of intermarrying with humans, such unions can bear fruit. Sadly, most of the mulzhennedar are born into slavery, the result of long-lived tyrants forcing humans and dwarves together to breed a heartier, more valuable slave-stock.
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Constitution, +1 Strength
Vision: Normal
Tireless: A mul ignores the first level of Exhaustion it suffers, and regains two levels of Exhaustion when it completes a long rest.
Limitless Endurance: A mul increases its hit point maximum by 1 point and further increases it by +1 point each time it gains a level.
Dwarven Vitality: A mul has Advantage on saving throws against Poison and Resistance to Poison damage.

Half-Goblinoid
As unlikely as it may seem, when humans mate with goblinoids, the resultant progeny possess some of the best mental qualities of both races, making them uncannily strong-willed, determined, assertive and driven. Half-goblins in particular feel a calling to the leadership role, and often become authority figures amongst goblinoid tribes or in adventuring bands.
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Dexterity
Sneaky Git: You have Proficiency in Dexterity (Stealth).
Me Mind's Me Own: You have Advantage on Wisdom saves versus Fear and Charm effects.
Goblinoid Blood: Choose either the Bugbear, Goblin or Hobgoblin Lineages. Your choice of subrace further determines your racial traits.

Bugbear Lineage:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Strength
Surprise Attack: If you manage to surprise a creature and land a hit with a melee attack on it during the first round of combat, you inflict extra damage equal to your Strength modifier +1 (minimum of +2 damage).

Goblin Lineage:
Nimble Escape: You can Disengage or Hide as a bonus action on your turn.

Hobgoblin Lineage:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Intelligence
Martial Training: You have Proficiency with two martial weapons of your choice, and also with Light Armor.
Saving Face: When you miss with an attack roll, or fail an ability check or saving throw, you can choose to apply a bonus to the roll's result equal to the number of allies that you can see within 30 feet (maximum bonus of +5). After invoking this bonus, you cannot use this trait again until you have completed a short rest or a long rest.

Half-Gnome
With their inquisitive and friendly natures, it should be no surprise that trysts between humans and gnomes aren't unheard of. When such unions bear fruit, it's often quite a surprise to the gnomish parent, but most gnomes will welcome their halfbreed offspring, giving half-gnomes a surprisingly hospitable upbringing. Gnomish ingenuity and human adaptability proves quite the effective combination, as it turns out.
Ability Score Modifiers: +1 Intelligence, +1 Dexterity, +1 to one ability score of your choice
Size: Small
Movement: 30 feet
Humanoid Build: You are treated as being a Medium creature to determine your capacity to lift, push, pull, drag and carry loads.
Works the Angles: You can use an Intelligence check to determine your Initiative, instead of using a Dexterity check.
Jack of All Trades: When you are called upon to make a skill check you do not have Proficiency in, you can grant yourself Advantage on that check. After you use this trait, you must complete a long rest before you use it again.

Racial Feat: Strong Blooded
Prerequisite: Half-Gnome
Effect: Your gnomish lineage is stronger than usual, giving you traits more akin to your ancestor. Choose one lineage from the following list and gain the attendant bonuses.
Rock Gnome: You gain +1 Intelligence and the Tinker racial trait.
Forest Gnome: You gain the Natural Illusionist and Speak With Small Beasts racial traits.
Svirfneblin: You gain the Stone Camouflage racial trait and qualify for the Svirfneblin Magic feat.
River Gnome: You gain the Waterborn and Deep Diver racial traits.
Arcane Gnome: You gain the Magic in the Blood racial trait.

Half-Gnoll
Half-gnolls are a rarity in the world, with those born outside of the depravities of the Butcher's Brood often having unusual background. Smaller and frailer than pureblooded gnolls, half-gnolls compensate with stronger minds and a heightened constitution.
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Strength, +1 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom
Filth-Eater's Gullet: You have Resistance to Poison and Advantage on Constitution checks against Poison and Disease.
Ripping Jaws: You have natural weapons in the form of vicious fangs, which lets you bite as an unarmed strike. A bite attack inflicts 1d4 Piercing damage.
Rampage: When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points on your turn with a melee attack, you can take a bonus action to move up to half your speed to another enemy and make a bite attack if this brings you in reach of that enemy.
Runt's Survival: You gain Proficiency in one skill of your choice.
Keep Up: You add your Proficiency Bonus to Constitution checks made to resist Exhaustion.

Tel-Amhothlan
The union of elf and orc is an oddity indeed, but when it happens, the resultant hybrids are weirdly graceful and well-formed, compared to their more common half-human kin. The mixing of elven and orcish blood is somewhat unstable, leading to great diversity in what traits are manifested by each individual hybrid. Surprisingly, the most common of tel-amhothlan origins stems from the Underdark, where drow men have been known to mingle with orc slave women, rather than risk their lives in the beds of their own females.
Ability Score Modifiers: +1 Dexterity, +1 Strength
Fey Ancestry: You have Advantage on saving throws against being Charmed and are Immune to Magical Sleep effects.
Keen Senses: You have Proficiency in the Perception skill.
Muddied Heritage: Tel-Amhothlans are chaotic breed and can favor either orcish or elvish aspects of their lineage. Choose the Orcish Brutality, Elvish Grace or Fae Magic subrace options.

Orcish Brutality:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Constitution
Powerful Build: You are treated as being one size category larger to determine your capacity to Push, Pull, Drag, Lift and Carry.

Elvish Grace:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Dexterity
Fleet-Footed: Your base walking speed increases to 35 feet.
Natural Athlete: You have Proficiency in the Athletics skill.

Mystic Talent: You can cast one Wizard cantrip of your choice. Charisma is your casting ability score when casting the cantrips provided by this trait. At the DM's permission, at character creation, you can trade this racial feature for Drow Magic (PHB pg24); this choice cannot be undone later.

[I]Dworg
Hated and reviled by all but the most open-minded of dwarven clans, on most worlds, dworgs come into existence in only two ways; when a dwarf woman is assaulted by an orc and survives, or when a dwarf falls so far into evil that he -or she- will willingly consort with orcs. Though some accounts also exist of duergar deliberately breeding halfbreed offspring with orc slaves to use as superior, though still expendable, warrior-slaves.
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Constitution, +2 Strength
Martial Heritage: You have Proficiency with the Handaxe, Batleaxe and Greataxe.
Sturdy Frame: Your movement speed is not reduced by wearing heavy armor.

Dwelf
Dwelves, also known as Alfar, are the fruit of rare unions between elves and dwarves. Resembling elves with the stature and something of the proportions of dwarves, these deceptively frail-looking creatures possess far greater strength than is apparent, alongside keen minds, driven attitudes and some of the strengths of both their ancestors.
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Strength
Blood of the Elder Races: You have Resistance to Poison and Advantage on saving throws against the Charmed and Poisoned effects. For special effects keying off of race, you are treated as both an elf and a dwarf.
Gifts of Creation and Destruction: You have Proficiency in your choice of two of the following: a martial weapon, a set of Artisan's Tools, a musical instrument, the Arcana skill, the Nature skill, or the Medicine skill.
Right of Blood: You belong to a subrace which determines the remainder of your abilities. Choose the Born to Stone, Born to the Wild, Born to Magic or Born to Darkness subrace.

Born to Stone - These dwelves are particularly dominated by their dwarven ancestry, making them hardier and more adept at surviving in the underground environments of their kin.
Heed the Earth: You may add double your Proficiency bonus to History checks relating to the origin of stonework, and can cast the Mold Earth cantrip.

Born to the Wild - These dwelves possess wild elf ancestry, which grants heightened grace and awareness when it is the dominant aspect of their blood.
Keen Senses: You have Proficiency in Perception.

Born to Magic - When a dwelf possesses high elf ancestry that comes to dominate its racial mixture, it is possessed of an even sharper mind and inherent mystical abilities.
Ability Score Increase: +1 Intelligence
Arcane Birthright: You know 1 cantrip of your choice from the Wizard spell list, which uses Intelligence as its spellcasting ability score.

Born to Darkness - Only born of the union of drow and duergar, these "dark dwelves" possess magical talents unlike either of their progenitors.
Ability Score Increase: + 1 Charisma
Superior Darkvision: Your darkvision increases to 120 feet.
Sunlight Sensitivity: You suffer Disadvantage on attack rolls and on sight-based Perception checks made whilst you or the object of your attention is in direct sunlight.
Gloaming Hexes: You can cast the Eldritch Blast cantrip. At 3rd level, you can cast Unseen Servant once per long rest. At 5th level, you can cast Spider Climb on yourself once per long rest. Spells cast with this trait use Charisma as their spellcasting ability score. However, you cannot use spells granted by this trait if you are in direct sunlight.

I was thinking it would be cool to design a system that allows players to mix and match two different races of their choice to make a crossbreed. So you could play a half-dragonborn half-orc. Or a gnome-hobgoblin. Or something.