PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 5e Bender Builds?

Coniferous
2017-10-10, 02:48 PM
My group is moving to 5e after many years following 3.5e. I was hoping to try out an earth-bender style monk. Upon reviewing the elemental monk, I am less than impressed. I think ashamed might be the better term.

Are there viable options for playing a bender style monk?

Easy_Lee
2017-10-10, 02:59 PM
My group is moving to 5e after many years following 3.5e. I was hoping to try out an earth-bender style monk. Upon reviewing the elemental monk, I am less than impressed. I think ashamed might be the better term.

Are there viable options for playing a bender style monk?

If homebrew is allowed, there are plenty of revisions. Here's a good one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1pdYIcfHauwNDM2My1XeWFYSDA/view.

If no homebrew, then you'll be stuck with the four elements monk as written. I agree that it's bad, and there's not much that can be done about it.

Brawndo
2017-10-10, 02:59 PM
There's nothing official that will fit the bill, really.

There's this fan-made book: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/191837/Incarnate-The-Last-of-the-Lacers

which is available from DM's guild and has new races/classes, subclasses, and a whole system for bending characters. Also has a bestiary with all the ostrich horses, sky bisons, and platypus bears you need. All with the serial numbers filed off, of course because it's not officially licensed.

The trick would be, I think, convincing a GM to allow any of it but it all seems surprisingly well balanced but still allows you to have bending hijinks.

There are also Monk subclasses to play a Kyoshi Warrior or a Chi-Blocker.

Coniferous
2017-10-10, 03:45 PM
There's nothing official that will fit the bill, really.

There's this fan-made book: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/191837/Incarnate-The-Last-of-the-Lacers

which is available from DM's guild and has new races/classes, subclasses, and a whole system for bending characters. Also has a bestiary with all the ostrich horses, sky bisons, and platypus bears you need. All with the serial numbers filed off, of course because it's not officially licensed.

The trick would be, I think, convincing a GM to allow any of it but it all seems surprisingly well balanced but still allows you to have bending hijinks.

There are also Monk subclasses to play a Kyoshi Warrior or a Chi-Blocker.

If homebrew is allowed, there are plenty of revisions. Here's a good one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1pdYIcfHauwNDM2My1XeWFYSDA/view.

If no homebrew, then you'll be stuck with the four elements monk as written. I agree that it's bad, and there's not much that can be done about it.

This stuff is super cool, but my DM won't allow it. They will permit Unearthed Arcana, which is why I'm leaning towards Mystic, which might work. I'm wondering if I should multiclass.

EDIT

Man I love that Lacer book. Just from the cover, though, man that is a copyright case waiting to happen.

Nifft
2017-10-10, 03:50 PM
This stuff is super cool, but my DM won't allow it. They will permit Unearthed Arcana, which is why I'm leaning towards Mystic, which might work. I'm wondering if I should multiclass.

Open Hand Monk / Stone Sorcerer (with Booming Blade, except you use kung-fu instead of a blade).

Easy_Lee
2017-10-10, 04:15 PM

UA but no homebrew? Lol. Homebrew is often more balanced than UA.

Stick with mystic or suck it up and play and elements monk.

Temperjoke
2017-10-10, 04:20 PM
Couple of points, Monk isn't really necessary for an Earth Bender, since the martial arts movements are for moving the rocks and ground, not for regular combat (although they could be used that way). So, realistically you could just go with a Land Druid, focused on appropriate spells, with your somatic motions flavored as martial arts. If you want actual combat, then a multiclass Druid/Monk should work well together. You'll want the spells in the Elemental Evil supplement that was released (official release so your DM shouldn't have any problems with it).

Coniferous
2017-10-10, 04:26 PM
Open Hand Monk / Stone Sorcerer (with Booming Blade, except you use kung-fu instead of a blade).

I had totally forgotten about the Stone Sorcerer. That's a solid idea. It's a little MAD (Dex, Wis, Cha).

Coniferous
2017-10-10, 04:31 PM
UA but no homebrew? Lol. Homebrew is often more balanced than UA.

Stick with mystic or suck it up and play and elements monk.

I agree with you, but I don't make the rules. Elemental Monk is just so, SO bad. I'm looking for any other way, within the rules set out by the boss.

Couple of points, Monk isn't really necessary for an Earth Bender, since the martial arts movements are for moving the rocks and ground, not for regular combat (although they could be used that way). So, realistically you could just go with a Land Druid, focused on appropriate spells, with your somatic motions flavored as martial arts. If you want actual combat, then a multiclass Druid/Monk should work well together. You'll want the spells in the Elemental Evil supplement that was released (official release so your DM shouldn't have any problems with it).

Also very true. That's an excellent idea. It's not MAD with a multi-class. A level or two of Monk won't hurt. If it is published my WotC my DM has okay'd it. I haven't read elemental evil yet, but I can certainly borrow it from another player.

Easy_Lee
2017-10-10, 04:36 PM
So, crazy idea, but hear me out.

Using one level of monk and three levels of Paladin: UA Oath of Redemption, you can make a character who can make two unarmed strikes with their action, has up to 21 unarmored AC, can smite, and has some beneficial spiritualish Paladin features.

From there, just go stone sorcerer and take all of the elemental spells. You can smite, you can enter melee, you can manipulate the elements, and you can Quicken spells and attack in the same turn.

Bonus: wield a quarterstaff with dexterity as your arcane focus.

Make sure to put your first level in sorcerer or paladin for constitution saves. From 5, Booming Blade will be your best standard melee attack and has a nice earthy feel. Refluff Shield as your unbreakable earth stance.

Coniferous
2017-10-10, 04:46 PM
So, crazy idea, but hear me out.

Using one level of monk and three levels of Paladin: UA Oath of Redemption, you can make a character who can make two unarmed strikes with their action, has up to 21 unarmored AC, can smite, and has some beneficial spiritualish Paladin features.

From there, just go stone sorcerer and take all of the elemental spells. You can smite, you can enter melee, you can manipulate the elements, and you can Quicken spells and attack in the same turn.

Bonus: wield a quarterstaff with dexterity as your arcane focus.

Make sure to put your first level in sorcerer or paladin for constitution saves. From 5, Booming Blade will be your best standard melee attack and has a nice earthy feel. Refluff Shield as your unbreakable earth stance.

I will need to get out the UA article on those and take a look. It sounds like a great idea thus far.

Easy_Lee
2017-10-10, 04:52 PM
I will need to get out the UA article on those and take a look. It sounds like a great idea thus far.

By the way, to qualify for multiclass without missing out on your main stats, a half-elf with point buy can start with stats 13/16/10/8/13/16. That constitution is low,, but, if you can find one, an Amulet of Health will fix that.

PeteNutButter
2017-10-10, 05:09 PM
When this thread title, I totally misinterpreted what you meant by "Bender."

I was going to suggest finding a homebrew modron and be CE... maybe a rogue...?

Nifft
2017-10-10, 05:38 PM
I had totally forgotten about the Stone Sorcerer. That's a solid idea. It's a little MAD (Dex, Wis, Cha). Yeah it's quite MAD. Depending on your starting array that might be a problem, or it might not.

Now I want a Stone Sorcerer who has Martial Arts as a cantrip and can spend Sorcery Points in place of Ki.

Warforged Drunken Master... wait wrong edition and setting... darn.

Trampaige
2017-10-10, 06:00 PM
I haven't read elemental evil yet, but I can certainly borrow it from another player.

Have the official PDF release straight from the wizards website, no piracy needed (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/EE_PlayersCompanion.pdf)

Zonugal
2017-10-10, 08:51 PM
I think this would be attainable with a simple build of Monk 2/’Circle of the Land’ Druid X.

I’d recommend at least using one of your open feat options to grab Magic Initiate for some more cantrips (either from another class list or simply more off of the Druid one)

After that you just need to split up the different energy spells into their own groups and decide how you’re going to approach bending (are you going to try to learn them all or master one of them?).

Air
(I added thunder & lightning effects to the air school so it would be balanced against the other schools)
0 -- Gust
0 -- Thunderclap
1 -- Thunderwave
2 -- Gust of Wind
2 -- Skywrite
2 -- Warding Wind
3 -- Call Lightning
3 -- Wind Wall
5 -- Control Winds
6 -- Investiture of Wind
6 -- Wind Walk
7 -- Reverse Gravity
7 -- Whirlwind

Earth
0 -- Magic Stone
0 -- Mold Earth
1 -- Earth Tremor
2 -- Barkskin
2 -- Earthbind
3 -- Erupting Earth
3 -- Meld into Stone
4 -- Stone Shape
4 -- Stoneskin
5 -- Transmute Rock
5 -- Wall of Stone
6 -- Bones of the Earth
6 -- Investiture of Stone
6 -- Move Earth
8 -- Earthquake

Fire
0 -- Create Bonfire
0 -- Control Flames
0 -- Produce Flame
2 -- Darkvision
2 -- Flame Blade
2 -- Flaming Sphere
2 -- Heat Metal
3 -- Flame Arrows
4 -- Wall of Fire
6 -- Investiture of Flame
7 -- Fire Storm

Water
0 -- Frostbite
0 -- Shape Water
0 -- Create or Destroy Water
1 -- Fog Cloud
1 -- Ice Knife
3 -- Sleet Storm
3 -- Tidal Wave
3 -- Wall of Water
3 -- Water Breathing
3 -- Water Walk
4 -- Control Water
4 -- Ice Storm
4 -- Watery Sphere
5 -- Maelstrom
6 -- Investiture of Ice
8 -- Tsunami

Universal
0 -- Guidance .
0 -- Resistance
1 -- Absorb Elements
1 -- Cure Wounds
1 -- Detect Magic
1 -- Healing Word
1 -- Jump
1 -- Longstrider
2 -- Enhance Ability
3 -- Protection from Energy
4 -- Elemental Bane
4 -- Freedom of Movement
5 -- Conjure Elemental
8 -- Control Weather
9 -- Storm of Vengeance

Typhon
2017-10-10, 08:59 PM

I am so glad that I wasn't the only one who thought of the Planet Express crew.

Kane0
2017-10-10, 09:02 PM
One of the better kickers of Monk / Druid: At higher levels you can encase yourself in earth to fight (ie turn into an earth elemental). Requires Moon Druid though.

Edit: And yes, I also entered this thread thinking Warforged Rogue.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-10-10, 09:16 PM
Warforged Drunken Master... wait wrong edition and setting... darn.

This wouldn't be the worst. And the UA is available. Eberron for warforged and Trio of Subclasses for Drunken Master Monk.

Lombra
2017-10-11, 03:50 AM
I can't see why four elements is bad. You can fluff most disciplines as earth/stone based, you won't spam them or fight around them, but you do have them, once you get to high enough levels you will start to feel the earthbending theme more prominent.

Malifice
2017-10-11, 04:02 AM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/Bender_Rodriguez.png

CN Warforged Rogue (thief).

Foff
2017-10-11, 05:32 AM
the UA mystic has fantastic material for an elemental bender, specifically for an earth bender i'd go Way of the Immortal, pick up mastery of wood and earth, iron durability and brute force as starting disciplines, summoning earth walls and slamming people against them is much fun.
Start with high Int and Dex, forget mostly about everything else, your immortal passive features and mystical recovery will keep you alive so you don't really need sky high CON.
Pick up mastery of force asap and just refluff all the skills in the discipline with an earthen flavour to show you've achieved total mastery over earth.
heck, with enough levels you can also become the Avatar :D

Coniferous
2017-10-11, 10:01 AM
I think this would be attainable with a simple build of Monk 2/’Circle of the Land’ Druid X.

I’d recommend at least using one of your open feat options to grab Magic Initiate for some more cantrips (either from another class list or simply more off of the Druid one)

After that you just need to split up the different energy spells into their own groups and decide how you’re going to approach bending (are you going to try to learn them all or master one of them?).

Air
(I added thunder & lightning effects to the air school so it would be balanced against the other schools)
0 -- Gust
0 -- Thunderclap
1 -- Thunderwave
2 -- Gust of Wind
2 -- Skywrite
2 -- Warding Wind
3 -- Call Lightning
3 -- Wind Wall
5 -- Control Winds
6 -- Investiture of Wind
6 -- Wind Walk
7 -- Reverse Gravity
7 -- Whirlwind

Earth
0 -- Magic Stone
0 -- Mold Earth
1 -- Earth Tremor
2 -- Barkskin
2 -- Earthbind
3 -- Erupting Earth
3 -- Meld into Stone
4 -- Stone Shape
4 -- Stoneskin
5 -- Transmute Rock
5 -- Wall of Stone
6 -- Bones of the Earth
6 -- Investiture of Stone
6 -- Move Earth
8 -- Earthquake

Fire
0 -- Create Bonfire
0 -- Control Flames
0 -- Produce Flame
2 -- Darkvision
2 -- Flame Blade
2 -- Flaming Sphere
2 -- Heat Metal
3 -- Flame Arrows
4 -- Wall of Fire
6 -- Investiture of Flame
7 -- Fire Storm

Water
0 -- Frostbite
0 -- Shape Water
0 -- Create or Destroy Water
1 -- Fog Cloud
1 -- Ice Knife
3 -- Sleet Storm
3 -- Tidal Wave
3 -- Wall of Water
3 -- Water Breathing
3 -- Water Walk
4 -- Control Water
4 -- Ice Storm
4 -- Watery Sphere
5 -- Maelstrom
6 -- Investiture of Ice
8 -- Tsunami

Universal
0 -- Guidance .
0 -- Resistance
1 -- Absorb Elements
1 -- Cure Wounds
1 -- Detect Magic
1 -- Healing Word
1 -- Jump
1 -- Longstrider
2 -- Enhance Ability
3 -- Protection from Energy
4 -- Elemental Bane
4 -- Freedom of Movement
5 -- Conjure Elemental
8 -- Control Weather
9 -- Storm of Vengeance

This is fantastic. This fits perfectly! Thank you for plotting out relevant spells.

the UA mystic has fantastic material for an elemental bender, specifically for an earth bender i'd go Way of the Immortal, pick up mastery of wood and earth, iron durability and brute force as starting disciplines, summoning earth walls and slamming people against them is much fun.
Start with high Int and Dex, forget mostly about everything else, your immortal passive features and mystical recovery will keep you alive so you don't really need sky high CON.
Pick up mastery of force asap and just refluff all the skills in the discipline with an earthen flavour to show you've achieved total mastery over earth.
heck, with enough levels you can also become the Avatar :D

This is also what I was looking at originally.

Rogerdodger557
2017-10-11, 12:13 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/Bender_Rodriguez.png

CN Warforged Rogue (thief).

That's what I thought, but I would argue that he isn't a thief. Probably Mastermind instead. Making other people get hit instead of him is right up his alley.

GlenSmash!
2017-10-11, 07:03 PM

Alcohol fueled Warforged Rogue Thief. Guild Artisan background to represent his work in the bending factory.

Ah I see was ninja'd several times. Mastermind works well too.