PDA

View Full Version : The King of Metals [Material]

The Demented One
2007-08-15, 12:48 PM
Orichalcium
Orichalcium, also known as the royal metal or worldsteel, is an incredibly rare alloy of adamantine, mithral, silver, and steel, along with traces of other rare metals. It was first discovered by an ancient civilization, and many of the orichalcium armaments they created still survive today. It is even stronger and more durable than adamantine, but lighter even than normal steel. Orichalcium is incredibly resistent, almost impervious to any attempts to damage it. Orichalcium has 100 hit points per inch of thickness, and hardness 50. Items made of orichalcium have twice as many hit points as normal. In addition, orichalcium is immune to all forms of cold, electricity, and fire damage, and takes only half damage from acid and sonic damage. In addition, any orichalcium item has spell resistance 25–a spellcaster targeting it must overcome its spell resistance, just as if it were a creature with spell resistance.

Orichalcium’s properties make it ideal for crafting weapons and armor. Orichalcium weapons cut through armor and flesh like they were air, and have a +3 enhancement bonus on attack rolls. In addition, the wielder may apply one and a half times his Strength bonus to damage rolls made with an orichalcium weapon (or twice his bonus if he wields it two-handed). An orichalcium weapon can overcome any kind of damage reduction that is normally overcome by a special kind of metal, such as adamantine or cold iron. In addition, when used to sunder an item, an orichalcium weapon’s damage is not reduced at all by the item’s hardness. Orichalcium shields and armor grant their wearer damage reduction 5/orichalcium. In addition, being lighter than normal steel, their armor check penalty is reduced by 2, and their maximum Dexterity bonus increases by one. The arcane spell failure chance of orichalcium armor is reduced by 5%.

Crafting orichalcium items is extremely difficult. The Craft DC to create an orichalcium weapon is increased by 15, in addition to the normal DC increase for crafting a masterwork item. In addition, orichalcium can only be forged normally at extreme temperature and pressure, requiring the use of a special apparatus, worth 15,000 gp, to craft it at all. In addition, orichalcium’s inherent resistance to magic makes enchanting it different. If a character wishes to turn an orichalcium weapon into a magic weapon, then each day of the creation process, he must make a caster level check, and overcome the orichalcium’s spell resistance. If he fails, the creation process is ruined, and the material components and xp spent are wasted.

Weapons, shields, and armor made of orichalcium cost 35,000 gp more than normal. Other items made of orichalcium cost 5,000 gp more than normal.

Xefas
2007-08-15, 01:01 PM
It seems like very few people would want to actually use this...I mean, there's already complaining about how XP penalties are bad, but now you might have to pay over and over again just because of a botched roll (at really REALLY high levels) or even a mediocre roll (at any other level). It seems a lot more cost effective to just make an item out of one of the other metals and make due with that.

Also, I believe it's spelled Orichalcum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orichalcum)

The Demented One
2007-08-15, 01:08 PM
It seems like very few people would want to actually use this...I mean, there's already complaining about how XP penalties are bad, but now you might have to pay over and over again just because of a botched roll (at really REALLY high levels) or even a mediocre roll (at any other level). It seems a lot more cost effective to just make an item out of one of the other metals and make due with that.
Hmm...might add bonuses to attack and damage rolls to compensate for the difficulty of magic.

Also, I believe it's spelled Orichalcum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orichalcum)
I've seen it spelled both ways, and prefer orichalcium to orichalcum.

Abjurer
2007-08-15, 01:22 PM
It's pretty much just epic-level, isn't it. I mean, if one wants to craft equipment out of orichalcium oneself, one needs to be epic, and if one wants to buy it, one needs to have contacts with epic characters or have epic amounts of cash rolling around.

...I'm also seeing a new epic-level encounter: the Orichalcium Golem.

The Demented One
2007-08-15, 01:45 PM
It's pretty much just epic-level, isn't it. I mean, if one wants to craft equipment out of orichalcium oneself, one needs to be epic, and if one wants to buy it, one needs to have contacts with epic characters or have epic amounts of cash rolling around.

Not necessarily, but I could certainly see epic-level characters decked out in orichalcium gear. However, it's still within the price range of most higher-level characters. Plus, crafting it isn't that hard...the DC to create, say, an orichalcium longsword is 40. A 10th level character can pretty easily have 13 ranks in Craft, an Intelligence score of 20, skill focus, and a magic item to provide a +10 bonus on craft checks, for a total bonus of +31. Not impossible to do, just requires effort.

...I'm also seeing a new epic-level encounter: the Orichalcium Golem.
Agreed. Very agreed.

Deesix
2007-08-15, 02:40 PM
The double strength bonus to damage is a little...insane, especially for light weapons or the like. I'd tone it down to 1.5 for one-handers, 2x for two handers. That's just me, though...

King of all Metals, eh? Yeah, I can see that. Just don't let people build a tank out of it! Gods, someone tried to do that with the Stronghold Builder's Guide, back in the day. It was a nightmare.

Xefas
2007-08-15, 05:23 PM
Just don't let people build a tank out of it! Gods, someone tried to do that with the Stronghold Builder's Guide, back in the day. It was a nightmare.

Someone tried to build a tank out of a bunch of Stronghold Builder's Guides? That's insane! Weren't they only printed in paperback?!

----

Anyway, in seriousness, it'd be interesting to see an Orichalcium Golem. Maybe I just like monsters more than item materials, but I'd be more interested in seeing that than the metal itself. What would it have, d'ya think?

storybookknight
2007-08-15, 08:03 PM
I came up with something like this, as I needed a suitable challenge for epic-level PCs. I sent them on a quest to recover the divine material Rhadamanthine. (I also gave all deities DR/Rhadamanthine to keep the players from just killing them.)