PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying I need some help with some flaws and bonds for a archetype.

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-10, 08:24 PM
http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/04/way-of-wheel.html?m=1

So here is the archetype and i wanted to be a cg darkelf monk of this archetype. as a courtier but what are some flaws bonds and whatever the third one is that may fit nicely with this ill accept any ideas i just need to come up with a story i may come up with one after the bonds and flaws

Malifice
2017-10-10, 09:22 PM
http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/04/way-of-wheel.html?m=1

So here is the archetype and i wanted to be a cg darkelf monk of this archetype. as a courtier but what are some flaws bonds and whatever the third one is that may fit nicely with this ill accept any ideas i just need to come up with a story i may come up with one after the bonds and flaws

Chaotic good?

These leather-clad lunatics are dedicated to interrogation and torture, gleefully extracting confessions, repentance and even loyalty from their victims.
Whether by burning brand, electric shock, rack or Catherine wheel, the Monks of the Wheel are unrivaled in their chosen profession, and command a mighty reputation among the warlords, tyrants and monsters who employ them. No evil overlord gets far without the dedicated - and scarily eager - service of one of these masters of pain.

What the actual ****?

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-10, 09:45 PM
Chaotic good?

What the actual ****?

All kinds of people in thks world even good torturers aka american torturers we got them terrorists

Kane0
2017-10-10, 09:59 PM
Will you be playing in an underdark game?

Malifice
2017-10-10, 09:59 PM
All kinds of people in thks world even good torturers aka american torturers we got them terrorists

American torturers are 'Good' torturers?

Dude, stop. You cant be a CG mass torturer. Its impossible. Unicorns, copper dragons and Gnomes are CG. How many of them are strapping people to torture racks and cutting them up painfully and slowly?

No-one in the world thinks torture is 'good'. There is no way a good person is not only frequently engaging in painful and brutal torture, but also making it central to their entire class.

I despair for the world sometimes. I truly do.

Next thing you'll be telling me the 'murder monastary' and 'rape monastary' next door are also 'good'. They only murder and rape 'evildoers' after all.

If you honestly think torture is good, we have nothing to talk about anymore.

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-10, 10:03 PM

Dude, stop. You cant be a CG mass torturer. Its impossible. Unicorns, copper dragons and Gnomes are CG. How many of them are strapping people to torture racks and cutting them up painfully and slowly?

No-one in the world thinks torture is 'good'. There is no way a good person is not only frequently engaging in painful and brutal torture, but also making it central to their entire class.

Next thing you'll be telling me the 'murder monastary' and 'rape monastary' next door are also 'good'. They only murder and rape 'evildoers' after all.

We had something to talk about besides you going wtf. I mean if that was a conversation i mean thats fine i can change the alignment maybe chaotic evil but thats about as far down the alignment pole ill slide

KorvinStarmast
2017-10-10, 10:05 PM
We had something to talk about besides you going wtf. I mean if that was a conversation i mean thats fine i can change the alignment maybe chaotic evil but thats about as far down the alignment pole ill slide It appears that you just ended the conversation and may not be aware of why.

imanidiot
2017-10-10, 10:11 PM
We had something to talk about besides you going wtf. I mean if that was a conversation i mean thats fine i can change the alignment maybe chaotic evil but thats about as far down the alignment pole ill slide

So all the way to the bottom of the scale is as far as you're willing to go? That character is deeply Chaotic Evil

imanidiot
2017-10-10, 10:14 PM
Chaotic good?

What the actual ****?

People in here making me agree with Malifice. I'm going back to Reddit.

Malifice
2017-10-10, 11:26 PM
People in here making me agree with Malifice. I'm going back to Reddit.

Not a week goes by without someone posting a 'concept' for a PC that involves some combination of [murder, torture, demon worshipping, genocide, infanticide, wanton slaughter] and are genuinely convinced that this person is 'good'.

I shouldnt be surprised seeing as I watch the news and see all sorts of atrocities committed by people who think they're good people, but still.

imanidiot
2017-10-11, 12:38 AM
Not a week goes by without someone posting a 'concept' for a PC that involves some combination of [murder, torture, demon worshipping, genocide, infanticide, wanton slaughter] and are genuinely convinced that this person is 'good'.

I shouldnt be surprised seeing as I watch the news and see all sorts of atrocities committed by people who think they're good people, but still.

These characters go way past Chaotic Evil. I have a Chaotic Evil character. He's hard to roleplay. He isn't a cartoon character spreading chaos and destruction and reveling in his own evilness. And he's a devil-worshipping anarchist.

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-11, 12:48 AM
So was he fun to play though i havent played evil before just good

imanidiot
2017-10-11, 01:02 AM
So was he fun to play though i havent played evil before just good

Yeah, he is a Fighter/Warlock with Eldritch Smite and the mechanics are fun to play with. I don't really like playing the character a lot though. He's angry and violent. Always on the lookout for someone trying to get over on him, suspicious bordering on paranoid. It's just tiresome. I don't think I'm going to play him very often.

It was me challenging myself to play a Chaotic Evil character and make it work in the context of a traditional D&D adventuring party while staying Chaotic Evil. It's fun but the novelty wore of quickly and now it just more of a chore to both keep him from sliding off into Cartoon Evil or going to far the other way and ending up Chaotic Neutral.

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-11, 01:26 AM
Id need help and tips how to be evil but work with the party.
I dont see the party of mainly neutral and chaotic good people minding me

Malifice
2017-10-11, 02:07 AM
[QUOTE=Sariel Vailo;22466312]Id need help and tips how to be evil but work with the party.

Be Lawful evil. You only torture for 'the greater good'.

In this way, you see yourself as less of a monster than you truly are.

But generally, if you want to fit into a good aligned party, dont play a rapist, torturer or murderer.

Even (LE) Punisher has difficulties working with Good aligned Batman and Daredevil despite them having identical goals and similar backstories (but very different methods).

I dont see the party of mainly neutral and chaotic good people minding me

Neutral and Chaotic Good would be horrified by you.

You tie people down and (as they scream and beg for mercy) torture them, ignoring those cries. Cutting bits off them. Injecting poison into them and inflicting horrific pain on them.

You're Dexter. He doesnt go around telling good people he's a monster for a reason.

Moredhel24
2017-10-11, 03:36 AM
The Dark Mistress from the Dungeon Keeper games, which this archetype is based off of, is a bit of a sadomasochist .
I also get a bit of a Mord-Sith pre-Richard becoming the Lord Rahl.

http://dungeonkeeper.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Mistress
http://sot.wikia.com/wiki/Mord-Sith

Ideas for flaws and bonds
1. fierce loyalty to specific individual/group (ex: Mord-Sith believe that their sole purpose in life and death is to serve the Lord Rahl unconditionally).
2. Enjoys inflicting pain (Mord-Sith and Dark Mistress)
3. You were once very kind and gentle but were "broken" so much that now all you are is a living engine of hatred and cruelty(Mord-Sith training).

As for getting along w/ a party of neutral and good players, you'd could play the character similar to the Mord-Sith after Richard becomes the Lord Rahl. Necessary evil (still have all the same training/skills) just Not quite as sadistic as before Richard, capable of positive emotions, but can become cold as ice when necessary.

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-11, 12:49 PM
The Dark Mistress from the Dungeon Keeper games, which this archetype is based off of, is a bit of a sadomasochist .
I also get a bit of a Mord-Sith pre-Richard becoming the Lord Rahl.

http://dungeonkeeper.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Mistress
http://sot.wikia.com/wiki/Mord-Sith

Ideas for flaws and bonds
1. fierce loyalty to specific individual/group (ex: Mord-Sith believe that their sole purpose in life and death is to serve the Lord Rahl unconditionally).
2. Enjoys inflicting pain (Mord-Sith and Dark Mistress)
3. You were once very kind and gentle but were "broken" so much that now all you are is a living engine of hatred and cruelty(Mord-Sith training).

As for getting along w/ a party of neutral and good players, you'd could play the character similar to the Mord-Sith after Richard becomes the Lord Rahl. Necessary evil (still have all the same training/skills) just Not quite as sadistic as before Richard, capable of positive emotions, but can become cold as ice when necessary.

This helps a lot i can pick the group or individual later as i chose courtier as my background. I am loyal to this noble house as it saved me from my self or the self i was made to be.

Klorox
2017-10-11, 06:33 PM

I don’t know man, ever tried talking to a gnome? That can be considered torture by many.

Malifice
2017-10-11, 10:36 PM
I don’t know man, ever tried talking to a gnome? That can be considered torture by many.

Indeed. Those unicorns cant be trusted either.

Unicorn: 'Greetings adventurers, I am Esmerelda, Unicorn of the White Forest. Please excuse me for a second, I have some business to attend to.'

[The unicorn turns and walks over to a young halfling, naked and nailed to a tree, sobbing in pain. He begs for mercy and turns to you, screaming for his mother. Other corpses can be seen in the background also nailed to trees. She stops before the halfling, and slowly and deliberately drives her poisoned horn into his armpit as he first whimpers in fear and then screams and begs for death. Blood stains the grass. After a few minutes, the halfling shudders, and then is still. The unicorn laughs and turns back to the PCs]

'Please take a seat. As you can see this is a place where all goodly creatures are welcome. Can I interest you in some wine and sweetcakes?'

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-12, 01:23 PM
Indeed. Those unicorns cant be trusted either.

Unicorn: 'Greetings adventurers, I am Esmerelda, Unicorn of the White Forest. Please excuse me for a second, I have some business to attend to.'

[The unicorn turns and walks over to a young halfling, naked and nailed to a tree, sobbing in pain. He begs for mercy and turns to you, screaming for his mother. Other corpses can be seen in the background also nailed to trees. She stops before the halfling, and slowly and deliberately drives her poisoned horn into his armpit as he first whimpers in fear and then screams and begs for death. Blood stains the grass. After a few minutes, the halfling shudders, and then is still. The unicorn laughs and turns back to the PCs]

'Please take a seat. As you can see this is a place where all goodly creatures are welcome. Can I interest you in some wine and sweetcakes?'

Chaotic evil doers beware for murdercorn the huntress

Malifice
2017-10-12, 09:18 PM
Chaotic evil murdercorn the huntress

Fixed that for you.

Kane0
2017-10-12, 09:20 PM
Sariel, is English your first language?

Honest Tiefling
2017-10-12, 09:32 PM
I have to ask, if your party is good and neutral...Why are you trying to play this archetype? There are cases where yes, evil can work with good, but in my opinion, that only works with good communication between players, a reasonable goal and work from the DM to keep everyone on the same side, and a agreement of what happens when things go too far.

However, a known torturer is going to be a hard sell as that will be the breaking point of many characters, this plan may not go well.

Since this archetype isn't bound to any fluff, why not refluff it to be less...Torturey? If we go back to older editions, Selune would help Lycanthropes turn from their evil impluses. You could refluff most of the abilities as practicing an art much like a lycanthropic change. Scissorhands become claws, addiction to pain becomes a holy devotion to a cause, and Dark Seduction...Look, Selune is chaotic, and sometimes you just have to consider seducing/befriending a person instead of whacking upside the head to do something illegal. Or the time that Selune spent serving Sune gave Selune's followers some tips.

Only issue is the Torturer's Arts, but the bonus to torture. But that seems to be a ribbon, so I'd instead apply it to checks involving parenting (goddess of motherhood and all!) or something else equally fluff. Shocking Grasp could be replaced with another cantrip, such as Dancing Lights or even a Shocking Grasp reflavored to Radiant damage. (That's still a power boost, but it is pretty appropriate).

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-12, 09:38 PM
Honest tiefling i can get the torture thing done but i have to be some kind of courtier or noblemans torturer or other such i work for x important guy he asked me to help the party.