PDA

View Full Version : Low cost weapons (magical or otherwise) that affect touch AC?

BlackOnyx
2017-10-10, 08:39 PM
Looking for suggestions for RAW weapons that affect touch AC. Preferably mundane, but suggestions for magic items in the 0-2,000gp range would also be useful.

I've done a bit of searching myself, but what I've found has been pretty limited. There's nets and a few thrown solutions (like acid) that you can use with ranged touch attacks, but I haven't seen much else.

Are there any additional melee/ranged touch weapons (or improvised weapons) that I'm missing? Even better, are there any that deal AOE shrapnel damage or the like?

Before I try to develop anything new with my DM, I'd like to see if there's any more RAW weapons I might not be aware of. Thanks ahead of time for any input you might have.

Deophaun
2017-10-10, 08:52 PM
Needs updating to 3.5, but this Mind's Eye article has some magic AoE enhancements for ammunition: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pse/20030426a

Also, you can make your own by the power of magic. From an older thread:

- Sign of sealing/greater: What’s that? How does that work? Why, use it on an alchemist’s arrow (A&EG) that we know has a container inside that will get broken. Now your explosive arrow really is explosive. Boost it with your favorite metamagic(s) (Empower? Maximize? Fell Drain? Invisible?) to make it super-splody.

- Glyph of warding/greater: Works like sign of sealing, except we have a problem: who is the one responsible for breaking the container? Is it you who fired the arrow or the target that had the temerity to get hit with it? The answer is very significant. If it’s the target, go nuts. Flame strike, flame strike, and flame strike are all good choices. You might even want to do flame strike. The possibilities are virtually endless and you’ll make the guy who took levels in Arcane Archer look like even more of chump. If it’s you, then we need to ask questions like “Do you have evasion?” If yes, then look into flame strike. If not, take one for the team and flame strike. Provoke an AoO while you’re at it. That’ll teach you for telling me there are better spells than flame strike, Gary.

- Glyph Seal: As glyph of warding, except now you can use a non-harmful arcane version of flame strike. Oh, and you have to remember to retrieve the seal.

Forrestfire
2017-10-10, 08:59 PM
The gnomish calculus (Arms and Equipment Guide, if I remember correctly) is a ranged exotic weapon that uses alchemical weapons as ammunition. Not "lets you throw them further," but actually as ammunition (inheriting the normal rules for projectiles). Would hit touch AC and allow it to scale up, I guess.

gorfnab
2017-10-10, 09:10 PM
Poison Ring (DR#316, reprinted in Dragon Compendium) attacks as a melee touch attack.

flappeercraft
2017-10-10, 09:30 PM
Lasso from BoED is touch attack IIRC

Rebel7284
2017-10-10, 10:56 PM
Ethergaunts from the Fiend Folio have a mundane laser rifle of sorts that targets touch AC. It's fairly unclear about a bunch of details, but it's there.

Zaq
2017-10-10, 11:41 PM
AFB, but I think Grell Lightning Lances from Lords of Madness are around the 2k gp mark, and I think they're touch attacks rather than Reflex saves. They're consumable, though, so they're basically prohibitively expensive unless you have a way to ignore or drastically reduce the costs.

This post is entirely from memory. It may be entirely wrong.