PDA

View Full Version : Need help for choosing powers(and maybe feats) for my Wilder gish(see post)

danielxcutter
2017-10-10, 08:41 PM
I'm making a human Fighter/Wilder/Sanctified Mind build, to use for future characters. Before you post, I am perfectly fine with this, so stop suggesting alternative builds or races. I'm getting sick of that.

Here's what I'm thinking about for feats:

Fighter 1: Power Attack, Hidden Talent(Astral Construct), Iron Will
Wilder 1
Wilder 2: Psicrystal Affinity
Wilder 3
Wilder 4
Sanctified Mind 1: Extend Power
Sanctified Mind 2
Wilder 5: Expanded Knowledge(Hustle - Psychic Warrior version)
Sanctified Mind 3: Psionic Meditation
Sanctified Mind 4
Sanctified Mind 5
Sanctified Mind 6: Psionic Weapon
Wilder 6
Wilder 7
Wilder 8: Enervation Endurance
Wilder 9: Expanded Knowledge(Dispelling Buffer - Kineticist version)
Wilder 10
Wilder 11: Greater Psionic Weapon
Wilder 12
Wilder 13: Expanded Knowledge(True Metabolism - Life Mantle version)

And here's the powers I've chosen so far. I'll fill in the empty spots as I make decisions. "???"s are empty spots that need to be filled.

1st: Vigor, ???, [HT]Astral Construct
2nd: Share Pain, [EPK]Hustle(Psychic Warrior version)
3rd: Time Hop
4th: ???
5th: Anticipatory Strike
6th: Temporal Acceleration, [EPK]Dispelling Buffer(Kineticist version)
7th: ???
8th: ???, [EPK]True Metabolism(Life Mantle version)
9th: ???

These are not completely set in stone, but this is the general idea. On one hand, I'm trying to make a gish. On the other hand, it would be nice to be able to do things that aren't just making it easier to hit things with a pointy stick.

Open to suggestions about what powers to take, and what powers I should take over what I chose. Also open to replacing feats to an extent.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-10-11, 01:50 AM
Say you visited the Otyugh Hole in Complete Scoundrel to get Iron Will without spending a feat on it, that costs you 3,000 gp for the visit, whatever the circumstances were. You can also do that during downtime between adventures for the same cost, or do it during play for free. This allows you to shuffle some feats around to get Leap Attack, in which case I'd replace Hustle with Psionic Lion's Charge.

I would personally take Wilder at 1st since it gets four base skill points per level, but feel free to ignore this sentence.

Your powers look good so far, maybe get Force Screen if you think it will be a long time before you can pick up an animated shield. Psionic Freedom of Movement is good if you think it will be a long time before you can get a Ring of Freedom of Movement or similar. In both cases you can still get the item then pick up Psychic Reformation with your next power known and replace itself along with the power your item replaced (which I believe is an intended use of it, since there's otherwise no repick mechanic for powers). Replacements for those would probably be either Energy Ray or Crystal Shard at 1st, and probably Psionic Dimension Door or Energy Adaptation at 4th. Consider picking up Call to Mind (1st) if you also get Psionic Moment of Prescience (7th).

7th: Psionic Moment of Prescience can be used for initiative which is a Dexterity check, Personal Mind Blank is good for buffing yourself but feels wasted at 1/day.
8th: Psionic Mind Blank can be used to buff the party, so it's a superb choice, especially compared to Personal Mind Blank. I don't really see any great choices at this level besides this one.
9th: This guide (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=5343.0) marks Assimilate, Reality Revision, and Stygian Conflagration as must-haves for Psions, so just pick whichever one you'll use the most. I'd avoid anything with an XP cost on general principle.

danielxcutter
2017-10-11, 02:01 AM
Say you visited the Otyugh Hole in Complete Scoundrel to get Iron Will without spending a feat on it, that costs you 3,000 gp for the visit, whatever the circumstances were. You can also do that during downtime between adventures for the same cost, or do it during play for free. This allows you to shuffle some feats around to get Leap Attack, in which case I'd replace Hustle with Psionic Lion's Charge.

Who's to say I'm guaranteed to get to do that? Even if I am, I still prefer to get feats properly instead of buying them like that.

I would personally take Wilder at 1st since it gets four base skill points per level, but feel free to ignore this sentence.

Depends on the backstory. If the character picked up psionic abilities first and learned fightery stuff later, then it works. If he started as a fighter before unlocking his latent psionic abilities(read: Hidden Talent), though, it makes more sense to put his first level as Fighter.

Your powers look good so far, maybe get Force Screen if you think it will be a long time before you can pick up an animated shield. Psionic Freedom of Movement is good if you think it will be a long time before you can get a Ring of Freedom of Movement or similar. In both cases you can still get the item then pick up Psychic Reformation with your next power known and replace itself along with the power your item replaced (which I believe is an intended use of it, since there's otherwise no repick mechanic for powers). Replacements for those would probably be either Energy Ray or Crystal Shard at 1st, and probably Psionic Dimension Door or Energy Adaptation at 4th. Consider picking up Call to Mind (1st) if you also get Psionic Moment of Prescience (7th).

Hmm, I see.

7th: Psionic Moment of Prescience can be used for initiative which is a Dexterity check, Personal Mind Blank is good for buffing yourself but feels wasted at 1/day.
8th: Psionic Mind Blank can be used to buff the party, so it's a superb choice, especially compared to Personal Mind Blank. I don't really see any great choices at this level besides this one.
9th: This guide (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=5343.0) marks Assimilate, Reality Revision, and Stygian Conflagration as must-haves for Psions, so just pick whichever one you'll use the most. I'd avoid anything with an XP cost on general principle.

Hmm, not sure if MoP can be used for initiative(at least by RAI), but it still looks like a great choice of buff for a gish.

By "don't see other great choices" you mean besides True Metabolism(which I already chose), right?

Ah yes, that guide. I actually looked at that already, but what a Wilder needs is different from a Psion. I'd say that Stygian Conflagration is better than Reality Revision, since the latter burns XP and is thus something that you can't exactly spam. Assimilate is better than either mechanically, but my alignment might suffer. Also meh about the flavor personally.