PDA

View Full Version : D&D3.5 Bonus types and what they can affect...

Flee
2017-10-10, 08:48 PM
So, has anyone out there ever charted out all of the bonus types, and what they can possibly affect?

ie:Deflection Bonus affects AC, including Touch attacks.

Below is a list of all the ones that I know of. Please let me know if anything is missing.

Ability Modifier
Alchemical Bonus
Armor Bonus
Circumstance Modifier
Competence Modifier
Deflection Bonus
Dodge Bonus
Enhancement Bonus
Inherent Bonus
Insight Bonus
Luck Modifier
Morale Modifier
Natural Armor Bonus
Profane Modifier
Racial Bonus
Resistance Bonus
Sacred Modifier
Shield Bonus
Size Modifier

Venger
2017-10-10, 09:30 PM
So, has anyone out there ever charted out all of the bonus types, and what they can possibly affect?

ie:Deflection Bonus affects AC, including Touch attacks.

Below is a list of all the ones that I know of. Please let me know if anything is missing.

Ability Modifier
Alchemical Bonus
Armor Bonus
Circumstance Modifier
Competence Modifier
Deflection Bonus
Dodge Bonus
Enhancement Bonus
Inherent Bonus
Insight Bonus
Luck Modifier
Morale Modifier
Natural Armor Bonus
Profane Modifier
Racial Bonus
Resistance Bonus
Sacred Modifier
Shield Bonus
Size Modifier

deformity (skills and abilities)
perfection (ac and abilities)
untyped (for completion)

Doctor Despair
2017-10-11, 10:57 AM
Of note might be that an artificer's third or fourth level infusion "Item Alteration" lets you change the type of bonus an item grants to a stat. As far as I know, the only limitations on what types of bonuses *can* affect stats via this ability are listed in the infusion description, so you could end up with, for example, a circumstancial bonus to con or a size bonus to charisma.

Apart from that, I think it all varies by source. Of course the most valuable are untyped while the most common, iirc, are enhancement

Telonius
2017-10-11, 11:09 AM
Epic bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/basics.htm) ("cumulative +1 epic bonus on all saving throws")
Divine bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm) ("A deity gets its divine rank as a divine bonus on all attack rolls.")

Exalted and Perfection bonuses are mentioned in Book of Exalted Deeds.

Thurbane
2017-10-11, 04:43 PM
I think that's all of them?

Ability Modifier
Alchemical
Armor
Circumstance
Competence
Deflection
Deformity
Divine
Dodge
Enhancement
Exalted
Inherent
Insight
Luck
Morale
Natural Armor
Perfection
Profane
Racial
Resistance
Sacred
Shield
Size
Untyped

Flee
2017-10-16, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the input..... but this only partially answered my question...

I'm also trying to find out which bonuses can affect what, such as:

Can you have a Competence bonus to Strength, or Saves etc... (pretty sure neither, but this is why I ask the question)

What can a Sacred bonus affect: Stats, Attack, Damage, Saves, Skills, Caster level, etc, etc?

I was hoping to create a chart of each bonus type, crossed with what they can possibly be used on legally according to RAW...

Praise be to Pelendralaar!

Bakkan
2017-10-17, 02:41 AM
As far as I know, there are no rules in D&D that restrict which types of bonuses can apply to which values, so in theory you could have a competence bonus to Strength if some item or effect granted it.

If instead you're asking what examples of such are possible in printed materials, the Artificer can turn basically any bonus type into any other bonus type, so you get essentially the same result.

bahamut920
2017-10-17, 08:49 AM
By RAW, I don't think any bonus types are prohibited from any specific statistic; there are just bonus types that are more common or rare (and yes, some bonus types are unheard of on specific statistics) "in the wild". Making a magic item of a bonus type not listed in the DMG or Magic Item Compendium (for 3.5) costs more, but you can technically have any bonus type to anything.

Thanks for the input..... but this only partially answered my question...

I'm also trying to find out which bonuses can affect what, such as:

Can you have a Competence bonus to Strength, or Saves etc... (pretty sure neither, but this is why I ask the question)
Competence bonus to an ability score shows up exactly once in 3.5; on the chameleon prestige class. It can be assigned to any ability score, scales from +2 to +6 depending upon your level, and can be swapped around.