PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Demon-Sworn Witch - Using Beast Eye Hex to Hunt Small Game?

Levism84
2017-10-10, 09:37 PM
Quick question to see if this is Rules as Written...

A demon-sworn witch's cruel hex class feature deals 1d4 points of nonlethal damage to creatures affected by it. This increases to 2d4 points of nonlethal damage for major hexes and 4d4 points of nonlethal damage for grand hexes. The beast eye major hex projects the witch's senses into a normal animal she can see (no save) and functions for a number of minutes equal to the witch's level each day (used in 1 minute increments). In effect, the witch can deal 2d4 points of nonlethal damage as a standard action to any normal animal she uses this hex on. For most small game animals (birds, rabbits, squirrels) with 4 or less hp, this means a witch can potentially knock out such critters within 100 feet of her with just a look. Also, because this knocks out the animal (ending the use of the hex), she would probably only be able to use this a number of times per day equal to her witch level since each use would count as a 1-minute increment.

I mean, I can't really see a way to use this to break the game, but it just seemed sort of goofy (read: funny) that a demon-sworn witch can go hunting for rabbits with her beast eye hex.

ATHATH
2017-10-10, 09:38 PM
Quick question to see if this is Rules as Written...

A demon-sworn witch's cruel hex class feature deals 1d4 points of nonlethal damage to creatures affected by it. This increases to 2d4 points of nonlethal damage for major hexes and 4d4 points of nonlethal damage for grand hexes. The beast eye major hex projects the witch's senses into a normal animal she can see (no save) and functions for a number of minutes equal to the witch's level each day (used in 1 minute increments). In effect, the witch can deal 2d4 points of nonlethal damage as a standard action to any normal animal she uses this hex on. For most small game animals (birds, rabbits, squirrels) with 4 or less hp, this means a witch can potentially knock out such critters within 100 feet of her with just a look. Also, because this knocks out the animal (ending the use of the hex), she would probably only be able to use this a number of times per day equal to her witch level since each use would count as a 1-minute increment.

I mean, I can't really see a way to use this to break the game, but it just seemed sort of goofy (read: funny) that a demon-sworn witch can go hunting for rabbits with her beast eye hex.
Can't you just do that with a combat cantrip?

Levism84
2017-10-10, 09:54 PM
You have a cantrip that deals 2d4 points of nonlethal damage at a range of 100 feet with no save or attack roll necessary? Heck, given a witch could only do it at most 20 times a day, you have a 1st level spell that deals 2d4 points of nonlethal damage at a range of 100 feet with no save or attack roll necessary?

Closest you get is magic missile, I think.