PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Item of Power (spell)

rferries
2017-10-11, 01:51 AM
Item of Power
Universal
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Touch
Target: Object touched
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You enchant an item into being an all-purpose focus for your spells. You may use the item to replace the focus for any spell that requires a focus worth 5,000 gp or less.

The item bestows one negative level on you whenever it is more than 5 feet away from you. The negative level remains as long as the item is not wielded or carried and disappears when the item is at hand. This negative level never results in actual level loss, but it cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the item is not carried on your person.

You may only have one item of power at a time. If you cast this spell while you have a current item of power it automatically fails, unless you have the current item at hand (in which case the effect switches to the new item). If a current item of power is ever destroyed or dispelled you take 1d6 points of damage per caster level.

Focus
The item to be enchanted (which may be virtually any item, of any worth).

Westhart
2017-10-11, 07:16 AM
I would suggest a couple of things:
1) Bump it to 5th or 6th
2) Since you can cast a spell as a lower level caster you can just remove the cap
3) More of a comment, but undead love this :P

rferries
2017-10-11, 01:42 PM
Bumped up to 5th. Did you mean the damage cap, or the gp cap? And spellcasting undead are generally liches or vampires, and they typically have cash to burn so they don't need to rely on this sort of spell :D

Westhart
2017-10-11, 01:47 PM
Damage cap, as you can lower your CL, and if you do get dispelled (which may be more likely) then you take a lot less damage.

Good point on the undead :smalltongue:

rferries
2017-10-11, 02:33 PM
Ha, I didn't know that! (I mean I knew you could do it when crafting magic items, but didn't realise spells too). Thanks for the tip, fixed.

Westhart
2017-10-12, 06:32 AM
It is in here somewhere... (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm)

alternatively htis thread talked about it:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?309334-D-amp-D-3-5-Cast-Spell-with-lower-Caster-Level

rferries
2017-10-13, 01:10 AM
Yep I found it after you first mentioned it, thanks!

nonsi
2017-10-13, 04:54 AM
What if the Item of Power gets lost?
Does that mean that the caster gets permanently hosed?

rferries
2017-10-13, 05:20 AM
What if the Item of Power gets lost?
Does that mean that the caster gets permanently hosed?

Yep! You have to quest to get it back (that's the risk you take for a free all-purpose focus).

Westhart
2017-10-13, 07:01 AM
Yep I found it after you first mentioned it, thanks!

No problem, just a rule that is often overlooked as usually there is not much point (besides crafting) in lowering your CL, although I used it to make my jokester character look really weak, which is why I remembered it :smallbiggrin: