PDA

View Full Version : "Permanent" calling Diagram

Yogibear41
2017-10-11, 02:04 AM
Was wondering if there were any rules for a permanent calling diagram to be used in conjunction with magic circles against X and Planar binding spells. Working on ideas for my Sanctum/Fortress/Base of operations and am working on a room that I want to be my go to place for calling and binding outsiders to fulfill my various, nefarious, schemes.

Seems silly to have to redraw the diagram over and over, when I always want to do it in the same place, and making a permanent one should also cut back on the powdered silver lines from getting blown away or something like that.

Zsaber0
2017-10-11, 02:13 AM
Carve the diagram into a stone slab or something which you can then inlay with powdered silver.

Fizban
2017-10-11, 02:44 AM
Tome and Blood has precedent: in the example mages' home there's a permanent calling diagram which is engraved and inlaid with silver, and I'm sure it's repeated in plenty of other books. No price is given in Tome and Blood, Stronghold Builder's Guide, or Complete Arcane. Seeing as there's no cost requirements normally, the only cost is whatever it takes to carve. A DC 10 craft check ought to be enough to do it yourself if you have the tools.

Necroticplague
2017-10-11, 04:24 AM
Based on Stronghold Builder's Guide+DMG, implementing such a feature should be 5*3*2000/2*1.5+7*4*2000/2=78500. That's the cost of an item of continuous Magic Circle Against [Alignment]+cost of continuous Dimensional Anchor, half off for being immobile Wondrous Architecture. You could get a significantly cheaper 15000 gp model that doesn't come with Dimensional Anchor, though. Not as good, since it means Outsiders can just Plane Shift out (since many can) easily.

You need the Circle in as a permanent spell for something like this to work, as otherwise, the fact the silver is the material component means it disappears after the spell's duration is up.

Bullet06320
2017-10-11, 04:24 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/spellcraft.htm
DC 20 Draw a diagram to allow dimensional anchor to be cast on a magic circle spell
if its gonna be permanent, why not the best options available

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm
DC 20 Complex or superior item
that's probly where I would put it

needing 2 checks, 1 to draw it, 1 to make it

Crake
2017-10-11, 09:11 AM
Based on Stronghold Builder's Guide+DMG, implementing such a feature should be 5*3*2000/2*1.5+7*4*2000/2=78500. That's the cost of an item of continuous Magic Circle Against [Alignment]+cost of continuous Dimensional Anchor, half off for being immobile Wondrous Architecture. You could get a significantly cheaper 15000 gp model that doesn't come with Dimensional Anchor, though. Not as good, since it means Outsiders can just Plane Shift out (since many can) easily.

You need the Circle in as a permanent spell for something like this to work, as otherwise, the fact the silver is the material component means it disappears after the spell's duration is up.

It's half off for being cumbersome to move, like furniture, something immobile like an archway, or a circle in the floor is actually a quarter cost, so it'd be 39,250. Half that again if you're making it yourself, 19,625 and 1,570 xp. That's suddenly a fair bit more affordable.

Also, you could technically pass on the dimensional anchor without worry, since the calling circle lets you cast it the round before calling, and it lasts as long as the circle (which is to say, permanent until the creature is freed).

Yogibear41
2017-10-12, 12:51 AM
I'm okay with having to cast the spells every time, I just want something that I don't have to repeatably draw over and over, as well as something more secure for the silver to go in. I'll have to check out the example in tome and blood.