PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Sorcadin help. or possible other build?

Legendairy
2017-10-11, 12:25 PM
Hello everyone! In an upcoming solo campaign I was thinking of building a sorcadin, something like this:

I will be going half elf and my rolls before racials are 18-17-17-17-16-15, I was thinking of making it look something like this 15-18-18-18-17-18, going a dex sorcadin but we have a home-brew feat that allows the -5 +10 to damage with light 1 handers and pallies can take the duel wielding style, I was thinking of building him like the GWF going devotion and shadow take the blade mastery feat and the home-brew feat light weapon expert. It is a solo campaign so I don't have to worry about outshining other players or playing well with others. I like a bit of stealth and will have to also be the face, to me a sorcadin is very self sufficient if played smart but alas I have not had the chance to play one as I am usually the DM in our group of 8 lol. I also dunno if taking half drow or wood elf would be worth it, solo campaigns mean skills are important but I could see a compelling argument for move speed and daily spells to free up a few slots. I know its a lot to ask of the playground but you are all way more competent builders than I am.

I know sword and board is probably more optimal and I am familiar with Gastronomie's Sorcadin guide. I was curious about the UA paladins mixed with shadow sorcerer and also I think im looking at a pally 6/ sorc 14 build, that is all subject to change tho.

(yes I rolled the best rolls of I think I have ever rolled and yes it was in front of other people lol) I think I will be playing him more like a vampire type being (think Alucard from Hellsing Ultimate) I think the mix of the two would be perfect. I will be refluffing the abilities but not changing the mechanics.

So, Thank you to all the playground in advance! Please do not hesitate to provide opinions on other possible builds (I was also thinking some form of shadow monk may fit with the feat), again, thank you all!

Chugger
2017-10-12, 05:17 AM
Well, if you know about http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502673-Unlimited-Blade-Works-The-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-Paladin-Sorcerer-Multiclass - this person has put far more work into this link than I can do (or know).

I'm not completely sure what you're asking - except maybe do you want to do with some UA variant? I'm not allowed those, so again - sorry - can't help you.

I'm thinking about doing a sorcadin and really, it's so complex that what you want to do is write down your char at lvl 5 say. Is it still a pal - are you going pal 6 for aura? Okay no big deal yet but you can look at it - and remake it as a pal 3 sorc 3 - and see what that looks like - i.e. would it help to level up going maybe Pal 2/Sorc 3/then back to Pal a bit until you get your Pal levels maxed at 6 or w/e? You'd have DS and you'd get some sorc love earlier this way. Run sample combats - see how it feels.

Are you thinking deep mid to late game? There I can't help you. I know someone who plays a high lvl sorcadin, and he swears by it. He's a sorc 7 (the nature paladin - bah what's their real name - the one with the lvl 7 spell resist aura) - and the rest is going sorc, and he's over total lvl 10 now. Likes it a lot.

Spacehamster
2017-10-12, 05:34 AM
Holy hell! Whos soul did you sacrifice to demogorgon to get those rolls, not even when we roll 3 rows of stats with roll 4 drop lowest and reroll 1s I have got anything like that! :p

Mister_Squinty
2017-10-12, 10:04 AM
Holy hell! Whos soul did you sacrifice to demogorgon to get those rolls, not even when we roll 3 rows of stats with roll 4 drop lowest and reroll 1s I have got anything like that! :p

That's why he's "Legendairy"!:smallsmile:

Corran
2017-10-12, 12:19 PM
I was thinking of building him like the GWF going devotion and shadow

I think I will be playing him more like a vampire type being (think Alucard from Hellsing Ultimate) I think the mix of the two would be perfect. I will be refluffing the abilities but not changing the mechanics.

So, Thank you to all the playground in advance! Please do not hesitate to provide opinions on other possible builds (I was also thinking some form of shadow monk may fit with the feat), again, thank you all!
Shadow is spot on (you even get the hound). Besides, darkness is very strong when it's just you against multiple opponents, and strength of the grave can save you from a ''TPK'' since there will be no one around to get you back up (that's why it is important to aim for an awesome constitution saving throw).

Awesome constitution saving throw = resilient con + aura of protection.

Now....

Everything is targeting you. You need awesome AC (even moreso in order to capitalize from the disadvantage on incoming attacks, due to darkness/blur/greater invisibility and from the ability to cast shield as a reaction; ie, these are reasons that make every extra point in AC count almost double). If the DM allows you a stealth check when inside darkness, without taking an action, wear a studded leather. If not, halfplate all the way. That extra point in AC is very important, the synergy between base AC, disadvantage and shield (reaction) is just too good to not make the best of it. That's also why you should take the defense fighting style, hands down. Also, equip a shield (+2 AC), it would be criminal not to do so, especially because you are playing solo (remember, everything is targeting you!!!). Warcaster mandatory (taken at paladin 4, and progression suggested is pal4-> pal4/sorc3 -> pal6/sorc3->pal6/sorc14 ).

Everything is targeting you. You need awesome concentration. (fortunately, taken care of, through warcaster + resilient con + aura of protection)

Everything is targeting you. You need awesome saves.(aura of protection and cheat stats cover that; maybe you should plan on taking the lucky feat too, but not before warcaster and resilient con).

Shadow origin is very costly with sorcery points (especially after you get the hound, though that would come at about CL 12), so you should plan ahead and pick your second metamagic (the first one is quickened, obviously) carefully. Ie, you need to pick a cheap second metamagic (careful, empower, subtle, or maybe even extended). You definitelly dont want twinned and heightened though.

You need some feats asap (ie warcaster and resilient con), and you wouldnt mind hurrying the ability boosts or other feats (like your homebrew -5/+10 or even lucky, which can be very important in solo play -my assassin who often wndered ahead of the group can attest to that), so variant human all the way!!!!! Shadow origin takes care of the lack of darkvision, so it's the ideal scenario.

Oath of devotion does not sit all that well with me, regarding an Alucard inspired character. But also, do take note that the light produced by sacred weapon cancels darkness (the spell), so there is that to take into account if you end up going with devotion (ie darkness and sacred weapon dont mesh well). Personally, I would avoid devotion and I would go with either conquest or oathbreaker (cause of their awesome channel divinity -ie the fear effect one). But on the other hand..... devotion gets you sanctuary. This spell is fantastic for solo play. Pair it with lay on hands, or cast it after you attack. Ofc it competes with the same slots as shield (so that's a problem) and as far as I recall there is no benefit in upcasting it, so I guess sanctuary is for rare occassions (for example, if enemies attack you with disadvantage, dont use sanctuary, instead rely on shield; and if for some reason enemies attack you with advantage, use sanctuary and maybe dont use slots to cast shield during that fight).

ps: Sorcadins have very low dpr, so the -5/+10 homebrew feat might be a good idea, but I wouldnt rush it. IMO warcatser and resilient con are priorities.

pps: Possible other build? Cleric. Spirit guardians and sanctuary (resilient con and warcaster). Add a couple of warlock levels after you hit cleric 5, so that you have more 1st level slots and to also get access to armor of agathys and blade ward. Do cleric get stoneskin? (AFB). A 3rd level in warlock has some value too, but I am not sure if I would rush it.

Laserlight
2017-10-12, 01:12 PM

For the character I'm starting tonight, I used 4d6b3 and rolled 17 17 16 15 12 10. Whereupon I said "that's too good" and rolled two more sets...both of which were about the same, with two 17s, etc (although one set had a 9). I ended up with 12 15 16 16 14 13 before racials and told the DM I was voluntarily downgrading my STR12 to STR7.

(My son claims I sacrifice kittens to the Dice Gods, but that's not actually true).

Legendairy
2017-10-12, 09:31 PM
Thank you all for the help. Thank you for the in depth breakdown, it really helps with some decisions I was look at. We are starting level 12 and I think I will be going pal6/sorc6 and still H-Elf but getting a free feat so I will knock out the three big ones, Warcaster/Resilient Con/-5 +10. Again, thank you all so much!

My rolls are insane, no need to tone them down in a solo campaign, no one to out-shine and the high abilities will make the character more survivable.