PDA

View Full Version : [5e] Polearm vs Shield Tomelock

Penelomeeg
2017-10-11, 01:10 PM
I'm making a melee tomelock that utilizes a quarter staff with booming blade and green flame blade + hex. We just reached level 3 and for level 4 I want to have in mind what fighting style I'm going for. I'll either go staff and shield with the medium armor feat or taking a single level in fighter (would also like input on which of these is sounder) or take pole arm master and two handed staff. Any advice which works best?

My current AC is 16, and yes I am aware a blastlock is more powerful, and that a shield can be taken WITH polearm staff but for flavor and to build a niche in the party I've opted for the options above.

Consensus
2017-10-11, 01:34 PM
Why not take the next level in fighter to get medium armor, go staff and shield, then take your next level in warlock for PAM that's the most sound option IMO
EDIT: just learned you can't GFB with PAM so that ruins that. Anyways I would advise you go GFB/BB and take a level in fighter for shields and medium armor. Then take next level in warlock and just up CHA

Aett_Thorn
2017-10-11, 01:42 PM
I'm just curious why you want to go this way, since you'll only be getting an extra 1d6 of damage max from Hex with this type of fighting (going GFB or BB for the attack). It just seems like you'd have a better way to use your concentration if that's the way that you want to go.

If that's fine with you, cool! Just want to make sure we're giving you the information that you want.

Saggo
2017-10-11, 01:49 PM
The problem with Polearm Master is that one of the features doesn't work with Booming Blade. To take the bonus action attack, you have to use the Attack action and Booming Blade is the Cast a Spell action. It won't be much of a DPR increase, and it's not a crowd-control option until you get at a minimum War Caster.

That said, something to consider, you don't have to two-hand the quarterstaff. You can make full use of Polearm Master with one hand on the quarterstaff.

Penelomeeg
2017-10-11, 01:49 PM
I'm just curious why you want to go this way, since you'll only be getting an extra 1d6 of damage max from Hex with this type of fighting (going GFB or BB for the attack). It just seems like you'd have a better way to use your concentration if that's the way that you want to go.

If that's fine with you, cool! Just want to make sure we're giving you the information that you want.

Hex is more for lower levels once I reach the 7+ threshold I'll probably nix it

Penelomeeg
2017-10-11, 01:53 PM
The problem with Polearm Master is that one of the features doesn't work with Booming Blade. To take the bonus action attack, you have to use the Attack action and Booming Blade is the Cast a Spell action. It won't be much of a DPR increase, and it's not a crowd-control option until you get at a minimum War Caster.

That said, something to consider, you don't have to two-hand the quarterstaff. You can make full use of Polearm Master with one hand on the quarterstaff.

I didn't even notice that. I may just go the shield route then, and do a stat increase next level

Avonar
2017-10-11, 04:42 PM
If you like the polearm, Booming Blade + Spell Sniper would allow you to hit a creature from 10ft away. If they want to hit you back, they have to step closer to you and take the Booming Blade damage.

prototype00
2017-10-11, 06:17 PM
If you take the Warcaster feat, you can use PAM to trigger Booming Blade as an opportunity attack when foes close to within 5ft of you.

Avonar
2017-10-11, 06:40 PM
If you take the Warcaster feat, you can use PAM to trigger Booming Blade as an opportunity attack when foes close to within 5ft of you.

You actually can't unfortunately. A PAM opportunity attack MUST be with a polearm. It's been confirmed somewhere, and it makes sense or else those cantrips would be ridiculous.

bid
2017-10-11, 07:56 PM
Reach is 10ft, you need spell sniper to make that work.

Saggo
2017-10-11, 08:12 PM
You actually can't unfortunately. A PAM opportunity attack MUST be with a polearm. It's been confirmed somewhere, and it makes sense or else those cantrips would be ridiculous.

If you're talking about this, it was Mike Mearls (not Jeremy Crawford) here (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/16/polearm-caster/) in 2014 before SCAG was released. At that point, there was no way to cast a spell while still using your weapon. When SCAG was released, he said here (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/09/19/war-caster-feat/) that specific chain of feats worked. I can't find any point where Crawford says it doesn't. Seems to work fine by RAI.

Reach is 10ft, you need spell sniper to make that work.

Quarterstaff is 5' and works with all the features of Polearm Master. You only need PAM and Warcaster with a quarterstaff, and PAM+Warcaster+Spell Sniper for the other polearms.

Chugger
2017-10-12, 04:55 AM
10' reach means you have 10' or less, right? So you wait a split second longer and hit with the AoO when they're only 5' away.

Heh, you beat me to it. I would presume so, though I've run into people who seem to think that a 10' reach polearm can _only_ be used at that range - that you can't choke up or do a little footwork (they usually get talked out of it).

Saggo
2017-10-12, 08:39 AM
10' reach means you have 10' or less, right? So you wait a split second longer and hit with the AoO when they're only 5' away.

You can't delay an oppprtunity attack, it has to be made when they enter your reach, 10' with a reach weapon.

You don't actually know if a creature, once they're at 10', will continue to 5'. That's an assumption and you have to wait and see if they continue. That also means if they continue, they're already within reach and the trigger do an AoO is already over.

Heh, you beat me to it. I would presume so, though I've run into people who seem to think that a 10' reach polearm can _only_ be used at that range - that you can't choke up or do a little footwork (they usually get talked out of it).

Yeah. Normal attacks can be made at 5' or 10', and you can use it for a Booming Blade working that range. Booming Blade's spell range is specifically 5' through. You need Spell Sniper to Cast it at a target that's 10'. Opportunity Attacks only occur when the leave your reach, or when they enter your reach with Polearm Master. That's only at 10' with a reach weapon.

Easy_Lee
2017-10-12, 09:32 AM
Warcaster is a better feat so that you can use weapon cantrips on opportunity attacks and run less risk of losing concentration. So if you have to pick one, I'd go with that.