PDA

View Full Version : Initiative: Shock and Awe vs. Nerveskitter

Hiro Quester
2017-10-11, 02:19 PM
Creating a backup character: Sorcerer6/ Swiftblade9/ Unseen Seer 5/ Epic Swiftblade 10

He wants to go first, his whole approach to combat involves making time to prepare himself and the battlefield, and then attacking swiftly. If enemies attack before he prepares he might be toast.

But it's even better if he helps his whole party also go first. Choosing between:

Nerveskitter: an immediate action that gives you +5 initiative as you roll.
Shock and Awe: a swift action, but only works in the surprise round, that gives up to CL flat footed enemies (no save, but mind-affecting and SR applies) -10 to initiative.

1st level spells are a limited resource. Can't take both.

Best case would be both: I know nerveskitter and get a wand of shock and awe (to ready when we are about to surprise enemies). But wands are also limited in our world, so no guarantee of being able to find a wand of either spell. But DM will probably okay learning either spell.

Which would you choose to know?

Deophaun
2017-10-11, 02:46 PM
Nerveskitter, because if you've got a surprise round, you've probably already won and don't need shock and awe.

Also, look at getting some minor schemas of primal instinct, and give everyone +1 warning arrows to hold while walking around. They can drop them once combat begins and recover them after, and if you lose a few, they're cheap at the level you're at.

Zanos
2017-10-11, 03:02 PM
Shock and Awe is close range, only works during the surprise round, is mind-affecting, and offers spell resistance. The later two are pretty bad at high levels, which is generally when you can afford to blow lower level spells every combat for small amount of utility. Your mileage may vary, but I generally find that the players don't often get a surprise round for difficult fights.

I'd give it a pass.

Hiro Quester
2017-10-11, 03:26 PM
The point about not needing an initiate advantage if we have a surprise round (we’re already going first) is important. And I’m ashamed to say I didn’t think of it that way. The issue with SR and range is also important.

My problem is that I’m moving from being a buffer to front line Melee. It’s hard not to think of nerveskitter as selfish when there is another spell that benefits others in the party.

Nerveskitter it is. Though a wand of Shock and Awe might be nice, to use in the surprise round. If we get one. But a wand’s lower CL means it will probably never get through SR.

Side question: has anyone written a guide to getting initiative?

There are lots of items and abilities that improve initiative (eager weapon, sandals of the vagabond, etc.). Has anyone written down their expertise in optimizing initiative?

Gusmo
2017-10-11, 04:27 PM
Have you considered celerity at all? It's an excellent go to for getting the jump on people, because when combined with foresight (which you should have active all the time anyway), it lets you act out of order at any time, including take the first action in combat, regardless of initiative.

DrKerosene
2017-10-12, 03:10 AM
There are lots of items and abilities that improve initiative (eager weapon, sandals of the vagabond, etc.). Has anyone written down their expertise in optimizing initiative?

I think such a guide would include that Dire Tortoise Lightning Strike ability.

You know you can use Nerveskitter on an ally, right?