PDA

View Full Version : M&M 3rd Edition Partial Resistances?

Legendxp
2017-10-11, 02:46 PM
I wanted to make a character in a campaign that has partial immunity to certain elemental effects. (Such as taking less damage from fire or less likely to be hurt from electricity). What should I give him to do this?

I don't want to be flat out immune, so I'm avoiding immunity. I also don't think impervious is what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

I'm also not sure how the ranks and measures system regards heat-based attacks. For example, I was hoping to make my character immune to things like campfires but not things like thermite or other high-grade explosives. I'm not sure what damage rank these things would be.

tensai_oni
2017-10-11, 03:51 PM
Immunity is what you want to grab, with the "Limited to half effect" flaw. That way instead of being outright immune you'll just have the offending power cut in half effectiveness-wise.

JeenLeen
2017-10-12, 08:57 AM
It's been a while since I played, but I think there's a way to boost your Toughness save (er, whatever the save is when you get hit, to determine how bad it is), and you could take the modifier that it only works against the element(s) in question.

Though the Immunity with Half Effect idea sounds far better. Probably cheaper, too.

tensai_oni
2017-10-12, 10:59 AM
I didn't recommend boosting Toughness because Toughness already should be at your power level cap (+ potential tradeoffs with Defense). Going above the cap won't benefit you any.

Likewise you can have something like Toughness with Impervious and Limited (only against fire/electricity/whatever) extras, but the problem with that is the whole power will only work against fire while still costing 1 PP per rank. Too expensive to buy atop of existing Toughness (just make your normal toughness impervious instead), bad idea to buy instead of normal toughness because it makes you a sitting duck for non-fire.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-12, 11:28 AM
I wanted to make a character in a campaign that has partial immunity to certain elemental effects. (Such as taking less damage from fire or less likely to be hurt from electricity). What should I give him to do this?

I don't want to be flat out immune, so I'm avoiding immunity. I also don't think impervious is what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

I'm also not sure how the ranks and measures system regards heat-based attacks. For example, I was hoping to make my character immune to things like campfires but not things like thermite or other high-grade explosives. I'm not sure what damage rank these things would be.
Immunity, Limited to Half Effect is probably the best bet, as tensai_oni suggested.

You can also buy flat-out immunity to environmental heat and cold for 1 point each, which should cover most non-Damage power forms. Otherwise, ask your DM; I can see a campfire being like a Damage 1 effect.

Beleriphon
2017-10-15, 09:48 AM
Immunity, Limited to Half Effect is probably the best bet, as tensai_oni suggested.

You can also buy flat-out immunity to environmental heat and cold for 1 point each, which should cover most non-Damage power forms. Otherwise, ask your DM; I can see a campfire being like a Damage 1 effect.

Third Edition has a chart somewhere that details what each fire effect is in general, or maybe that's the disease chart with Rank 1 being a common cold, and Rank 16 being engineer super viruses like that thing that Cable has.

As a thought here's a chart on Fire damage:

1-2 Torch or campfire
3-6 Bonfire based on size
7 Building fire
8 Flamethrower
10-11 Napalm bombs
12-13 Heart of a forest fire
14-15 Blast furnace
16+ Lava/pyroclastic flow/blast fur