PDA

View Full Version : Can a sorcerer wear armor Or is it a battlemage

Stormtrooper666
2017-10-11, 03:11 PM
I see so much conflicting answers regarding this.
When i do find someone who says a sorcerer wears armor a bunch of other people say its a battlemage at that point.

So which is it? Whats the difference?

Tinkerer
2017-10-11, 03:21 PM
Is... is this a system specific question? I can honestly say that I've never seen this come up because I've never seen anyone consider not wearing armour to be a sorcerer requirement and I've never seen someone say wearing armour makes you a battlemage. I've seen a great number of sorcerer's wearing armour across multiple systems and a great many battlemages who don't wear armour. I am quite confused.

Nifft
2017-10-11, 03:22 PM
3e: Sorcerers can't wear armor (except when they can).
4e: Sorcerers can wear armor if they're proficient.
5e: Sorcerers can wear armor if they're proficient.

Mastikator
2017-10-11, 03:39 PM
Does a peasant become a knight if you put armor on him, a sword in his hand and put him on a horse?

Actually... yes.

So a battlemage is basically a magic user who primarily uses magic in combat scenarios right? Well an armor would certainly come in handy then. *Sorcerer + armor = battlemage imo

*i'm being deliberately game-agnostic, you might have a specific game in mind but you didn't specify and this is not a specific forum.

Blackhawk748
2017-10-11, 04:17 PM
Does a peasant become a knight if you put armor on him, a sword in his hand and put him on a horse?

Actually... yes.

So a battlemage is basically a magic user who primarily uses magic in combat scenarios right? Well an armor would certainly come in handy then. *Sorcerer + armor = battlemage imo

*i'm being deliberately game-agnostic, you might have a specific game in mind but you didn't specify and this is not a specific forum.

Thats actually not true, in this instance you would just have a peasant in nice armor on a horse. Knights train and where expected to be good at their job (running down people with their horse)

A battlemage (at least how i read it) is a mage who specializes in battle. Meaning the majority of their spells are focused directly on combat, whether that makes them the classic DnD gish (dude in armor buffing himself before smashing the enemy with his weapon of choice) or a piece of living artillery is fairly moot.

So no, a Sorcerer in armor is not automatically a battlemage, but he probably is.

LibraryOgre
2017-10-11, 05:43 PM
The Mod Wonder: System specific question with no indication where it belongs. Reopen in the appropriate forum.