PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Cloud Metamagic

Pope Scarface
2017-10-11, 07:00 PM
I'm looking for interesting metamagic feats to apply to the various spells that create a cloud (fog cloud, stinking cloud, obscuring mist, cloudkill), that either do something quirky/unexpected or that are mechanically advantageous.

Mike Miller
2017-10-11, 07:02 PM
Invisible spell. Best when the enemy has See Invisibility active. They see the clouds and you don't!

Pope Scarface
2017-10-11, 07:05 PM
That is hilarious!

Behold, my invisible obscurement!

Combine with Invisibility so they either can't see you, or can't see you...

What is that from?

Mike Miller
2017-10-11, 07:11 PM
Cityscape I believe

frogglesmash
2017-10-11, 07:45 PM
Someone should warn you that invisible spell is very poorly written and almost all applications will cause headaches.

Nifft
2017-10-11, 07:46 PM
Someone should warn you that invisible spell is very poorly written and almost all applications will cause headaches.

Some DMs ban Invisible Spell as too poorly written to bother fixing.

Darrin
2017-10-11, 07:53 PM
Well, Sculpt Spell comes to mind, although you may wind up with less of an affected area than if you'd not sculpted it.

Cloudy Conjuration isn't metamagic and has some targeting issues, but you can try overlapping the sickening effect with something else.

Snowcasting (Frostburn) + Flash Frost Spell (PHBII) + Energy Substitution (Complete Arcane) + Born of Three Thunders (Complete Arcane) adds a Fort save vs. stun and a Ref save vs. prone, but it also dazes the caster. You can mitigate the daze with Mark of the Dauntless (Dragonmarked) or Quick Recovery (Lords of Madness).

I've always wanted to do something interesting with Earthbound Spell (PHBII), but I haven't yet stumbled onto anything where it's not better to just cast the spell normally.

Nifft
2017-10-11, 07:59 PM
Kelgore's Grave Mist + Fell Drain is a neat combo.

I wonder what would happen if you applied Black Lore of Moil to Kelgore's Grave Mist -- would the extra damage occur every turn, or just once?

SirNibbles
2017-10-12, 12:57 AM
Well, Sculpt Spell comes to mind, although you may wind up with less of an affected area than if you'd not sculpted it.

Cloudy Conjuration isn't metamagic and has some targeting issues, but you can try overlapping the sickening effect with something else.

Snowcasting (Frostburn) + Flash Frost Spell (PHBII) + Energy Substitution (Complete Arcane) + Born of Three Thunders (Complete Arcane) adds a Fort save vs. stun and a Ref save vs. prone, but it also dazes the caster. You can mitigate the daze with Mark of the Dauntless (Dragonmarked) or Quick Recovery (Lords of Madness).

I've always wanted to do something interesting with Earthbound Spell (PHBII), but I haven't yet stumbled onto anything where it's not better to just cast the spell normally.

Many of these 'cloud spells' don't actually affect an area so they're not compatible with Sculpt Spell or Flash Frost Spell.

Thurbane
2017-10-12, 04:18 PM
Very loosely related, but I'll post it here anyway:

Q 251

I believe I asked this already a long time ago, but I don't think I got any replies.

Other than a scroll of a quickened spell, does anyone know of any published (i.e. non-custom) magic items that can produce an Obscuring Mist or Fog Cloud effect as a free, swift or immediate action?

A251

A rod of Lesser Quicken Metamagic would do the trick.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#metamagicQuicken