PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated sub-forum?

MatchesMalone
2017-10-11, 09:26 PM
With the release of Starfinder and the popularity of Pathfinder, is it possible to get a dedicated sub-forum for each of them? I thought there used to be one for Pathfinder but maybe I just imagined that. lol What does everyone think of this idea? Are any of you playing in or going to play in a Starfinder game soon?

Anymage
2017-10-11, 09:50 PM
Pathfinder is a fork off the 3.5 ruleset. Most of the PF discussion happens in the 3.5 subforum.

And subforums don't get made for just any old game that has a fandom. Usually, subforums happen when if they didn't have a dedicated subforum, posts about it would overwhelm the main area. (See how often posts in the general section have a heavy 3.5 focus, and that's even with an extant 3.5 subforum.) Offshoots of PF aren't popular enough to need their own whole extra area.

MatchesMalone
2017-10-11, 09:59 PM
Pathfinder is a fork off the 3.5 ruleset. Most of the PF discussion happens in the 3.5 subforum.

And subforums don't get made for just any old game that has a fandom. Usually, subforums happen when if they didn't have a dedicated subforum, posts about it would overwhelm the main area. (See how often posts in the general section have a heavy 3.5 focus, and that's even with an extant 3.5 subforum.) Offshoots of PF aren't popular enough to need their own whole extra area.

I guess I just felt that even though it's an offshoot of 3.5, Pathfinder stands on its own pretty easily so a Pathfinder/Starfinder sub-forum might be a good idea. I suppose you're correct though with as many 3.5 posts wind up in the general section.

Knaight
2017-10-11, 10:19 PM
I guess I just felt that even though it's an offshoot of 3.5, Pathfinder stands on its own pretty easily so a Pathfinder/Starfinder sub-forum might be a good idea. I suppose you're correct though with as many 3.5 posts wind up in the general section.

Pathfinder and 3.5 both seem to be about 45% of the 3.x subforum - neither is dominating it. Meanwhile, back before the forums were partitioned 3.x completely ate the roleplaying game forum, such that nothing else would show. That's why it was cordoned off.

Nifft
2017-10-11, 10:47 PM
I'm not sure if the traffic would justify a split, but I've seen enough confusion in threads that I think a split might be helpful.

"Oh sorry this is {PF only / no PF allowed} so your long, itemized, formatted write-up of suggestions is inapplicable."

(Not sure where we'd stick the 3.pf threads... I don't see as many of those as pure 3.5 / PF though.)

MatchesMalone
2017-10-12, 04:31 PM
I'm not sure if the traffic would justify a split, but I've seen enough confusion in threads that I think a split might be helpful.

"Oh sorry this is {PF only / no PF allowed} so your long, itemized, formatted write-up of suggestions is inapplicable."

(Not sure where we'd stick the 3.pf threads... I don't see as many of those as pure 3.5 / PF though.)

I do think it would clear up some confusion. People don't like to post in their thread what system they're talking about a lot of the time. lol

Honest Tiefling
2017-10-12, 05:01 PM
Pathfinder and 3.5 both seem to be about 45% of the 3.x subforum - neither is dominating it. Meanwhile, back before the forums were partitioned 3.x completely ate the roleplaying game forum, such that nothing else would show. That's why it was cordoned off.

You make it seem like 3.5 was basically quarantined from the rest of the forum!

But yeah, the PF/3.5 confusion does seem to be an issue, but I haven't been in that forum for a while. I wonder if making the tags a little more visible would help at all.

Nifft
2017-10-12, 05:18 PM
But yeah, the PF/3.5 confusion does seem to be an issue, but I haven't been in that forum for a while. I wonder if making the tags a little more visible would help at all.

The trouble is you only get one visible thread tag.

So your choice is either advertise your thread as e.g. "DM Help" or "Pathfinder", not both.

Psyren
2017-10-13, 11:48 AM
If you start Starfinder threads in the 3.5/PF forum, I guarantee you that's where the folks who've been reading the books will be to help you.

I'd say there's not a whole lot to discuss about the system yet until the Bestiary and a few more APs drop though. It's hard to tell for instance if a given class is weak at level X if we don't have a number of CR X monsters to compare it to.

MatchesMalone
2017-10-17, 09:12 PM
Thanks, everyone, for weighing in on this matter. I greatly appreciate it!