PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Startopia Conversion (alien races)

rferries
2017-10-11, 10:15 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Gtwcv8c.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QyyB4aq.jpg

In honour of the recent Starfinder release, (and with credit to Ranged Ranger's Farscape conversion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?538388-Farscape-ported) thread for inspiring me) here are 3.5 conversions of the races from the Startopia game.

These are all alien races of generally humanoid build; they can easily be switched to aberrations, monstrous humanoids, or whatever other creature type you desire.

New Weapon
Ray Gun: Ranged weapon, deals 1d6 fire damage, critical multiplier x2, range increment 30 feet.

Startopia Races
https://i.imgur.com/WwfBE7S.jpg
Groulien Salt-Hogs
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma. Groulien Salt-Hogs are hardy and industrious but don't exactly mesh with high society.

Size: Groulien Salt-Hogs are Small creatures.

Type: Groulien Salt-Hogs are aberrations.

Speed: Groulien Salt-Hogs have a base speed of 20 feet.

Darkvision (Ex): A Groulien Salt-Hog has darkvision out to 60 feet.

Resilient (Ex): A Groulien Salt-Hog has a +2 racial bonus on saves against poison, disease, and fear.

Racial Skills: A Groulien Salt-Hog has a +2 racial bonus on any trained Craft or Profession check involving manual labour.

Racial Feats: A Groulien Salt-Hog receives Martial Weapon Proficiency (ray gun) as a bonus feat at first level.

Languages: Groulien Salt-Hogs begin play speaking Common and Groulien. Groulien Salt-Hogs with high Intelligence scores can learn Dwarven and any other Startopia racial language.

Favoured Class: Fighter.

Level Adjustment: +0
https://i.imgur.com/LAIg5vR.jpg
Grekka Targ
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma. Grekka Targ lack personality, but excel at subtlety and observation.

Size: Grekka Targ are Small creatures.

Type: Grekka Targ are vermin (as they have Intelligence scores, they do not gain the mindless special quality).

Speed: Grekka Targ have a base speed of 20 feet.

Darkvision (Ex): A Grekka Targ has darkvision out to 60 feet.

Glide (Ex): A Grekka Targ's wings allow it to fly at a speed of 30 feet with clumsy maneuverability, but it cannot ascend and must descend at least 5 feet for every round of flight.

Racial Skills: A Grekka Targ has a +2 racial bonus on Gather Information, Listen, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks.

Racial Feats: A Grekka Targ receives Martial Weapon Proficiency (ray gun) as a bonus feat at first level.

Languages: Grekka Targ begin play speaking Common and Targ. Grekka Targ with high Intelligence scores can learn Undercommon and any other Startopia racial language.

Favoured Class: Rogue.

https://i.imgur.com/QzzvTw4.jpg
Greys
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, -2 Strength. Greys are brilliant and empathetic, though not particularly strong.

Size: Greys are Small creatures.

Type: Greys are aberrations.

Speed: Greys have a base speed of 20 feet.

Darkvision (Ex): Greys have darkvision out to 60 feet.

Medical Professional (Ex): Greys may provide long term care to up to 8 creatures plus one creature per character level. Whenever they make a Heal check, they may roll d20 twice and take the better result.

Racial Skills: A Grey has a +2 racial bonus on Heal checks and on any Craft, Knowledge, or Profession check dealing with medicine or the life sciences.

Racial Feats: A Grey receives Martial Weapon Proficiency (ray gun) as a bonus feat at first level.

Languages: Greys begin play speaking Common and Grey. Greys with high Intelligence scores can learn Celestial and any other Startopia racial language.

Favoured Class: Cleric.

https://i.imgur.com/YKFNSjI.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wYupGtB.png?1

Dahanese Sirens
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution. Dahanese Sirens are graceful in thought and form, but somewhat frail.

Size: Dahanese Sirens are Medium creatures.

Type: Dahanese Sirens are fey with the psionic subtype.

Speed: Dahanese Sirens have a base speed of 30 feet.

Low-Light Vision (Ex): Dahanese Sirens have low-light vision.

Glide (Ex): A Dahanese Siren's wings allow it to fly at a speed of 30 feet with clumsy maneuverability, but it cannot ascend and must descend at least 5 feet for every round of flight.

Sexual Dimorphism (Ex): Unlike most other civilised races, Dahanese Sirens have two distinct genders. Males appear as voluptuous, raven-haired beauties with prominent mammary glands, whereas females are tall, blond, and muscular with chiselled good looks. Dahanese Sirens of either gender count as being of whatever gender they choose for the purpose of gender-dependent effects.

Racial Skills: A Dahanese Siren has a +2 racial bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Perform, and Sense Motive checks.

Racial Feats: A Dahanese Siren receives Love Connection as a bonus feat at first level.

Languages: Dahanese Sirens begin play speaking Common and Dahanese. Dahanese Sirens with high Intelligence scores Elven and any other Startopia racial language.

Favoured Class: Bard.

https://i.imgur.com/Ihcqm4P.jpg
Kasvagorians
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Constitution, +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence. Kasvagorians are powerful but not particularly inventive.

Size: Kasvagorians are Medium creatures.

Type: Kasvagorians are monstrous humanoids.

Speed: Kasvagorians have a base speed of 40 feet.

Darkvision (Ex): Kasvagorians have darkvision out to 60 feet.

Powerful Build (Ex): A Kasvagorian is treated as a creature one size category larger whenever that would be beneficial.

Racial Skills: A Kasvagorian has a +2 racial bonus on Disable Device, Gather Information, Intimidate, Listen, Spot, and any Knowledge or Profession check relating to war, security, or peace-keeping.

Racial Feats: A Kasvagorian receives Martial Weapon Proficiency (ray gun) as a bonus feat at first level.

Languages: Kasvagorians begin play speaking Common and Kasvagorian. Kasvagorians with high Intelligence scores can learn Orc and any other Startopia racial language.

Favoured Class: Fighter.

Level Adjustment: +1
https://i.imgur.com/Z9lIaTg.jpg
Karmaramans
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +2 Wisdom, -2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence. Karmaramans are amiable but slow of thought and deed.

Size: Karmaramans are Medium creatures.

Type: Karmaramans are plant creatures with the psionic subtype.

Speed: Karmaramans have a base speed of 20 feet.

Low-Light Vision (Ex): Karmaramans have low-light vision.

Humanoid Plant (Ex): A Karmaramans lacks the immunities of the plant type. Instead, they have a +2 bonus on saves against mind-affecting, poison, sleep, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning effects. They are fully susceptible to critical hits.

Four-Armed (Ex): A Karmaraman has four arms, qualifying them for Multiweapon Fighting and similar feats.

Racial Skills: A Karmaraman has a +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks and any Craft or Profession checks relating to plants and gardening.

Racial Feats: A Karmaraman receives Karmagasm as a bonus feat at first level.

Languages: Karmaramans begin play speaking Common and Karmaraman. Karmaramans with high Intelligence scores can learn Sylvan and any other Startopia racial language.

Favoured Class: Druid.

https://i.imgur.com/0Q1eh4p.jpg
Turrakken
Ability Score Modifiers: +4 Intelligence, -2 Charisma, -2 Constitution, -2 Strength. Turrakken possess genius-level intellects but are socially and physically inept.

Size: Turrakken are Medium creatures.

Type: Turrakken are aberrations.

Speed: Turrakken have a base speed of 30 feet.

Darkvision (Ex): Turrakken have darkvision out to 60 feet.

Two-Headed (Ex): Whenever a Turakken makes a Will save, an Intelligence-based check, or a Wisdom-based check, they may roll d20 twice and take the better result. A Turakken may make one extra immediate action each turn.

Racial Skills: A Turrakken has a +2 racial bonus on all Craft and Knowledge checks.

Racial Feats: A Turrakken receives Skill Focus as a bonus feat at first level.

Languages: Turrakken begin play speaking Common and Turrakken. Turrakken with high Intelligence scores can learn Gnome and any other Startopia racial language.

Favoured Class: Wizard.

https://i.imgur.com/Bio5nCo.jpg
Zedem Monks
Ability Score Modifiers: +4 Wisdom, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution, -2 Strength. Zedem Monks are insightful and conciliatory but rather decrepit.

Size: Zedem Monks are Medium creatures.

Type: Zedem Monks are outsiders with the native and psionic subtypes.

Speed: Zedem Monks have a base speed of 30 feet.

Darkvision (Ex): Zedem Monks have darkvision out to 60 feet.

Body Equilibrium (Psi): A Zedem Monk may use body equilibrium at will as a psi-like ability (manifester level 3rd or their character level, whichever is greater).

Raise Temple (Su): Once per week as a full-round action a Zedem Monk may either conjure a Huge crystal spire within 30 feet to form the centre of a new Zedem Temple, or raise a Large stone monolith from the earth to start (or add to, or complete) a ring of such monoliths around the spire. A Zedem Monk may also dismiss the summoned object as a full-round action, and cannot summon another while it has a pre-existing object of either type. If a Zedem Monk dies, the object it has summoned vanishes as well.

Zedem Temple
A Zedem Temple consists of a crystal spire, an area covering a 40-foot radius from the spire, and any monoliths that have been summoned around the perimeter of the area (to a maximum of 12 monoliths). It may only be constructed outdoors, and the area is magically made level and dry (hedging out even ocean waters) as soon as the crystal spire is conjured.

Creatures in a temple may recover from ability drain to their mental ability scores as though it were ability damage, and heal damage to their mental ability scores at twice the usual rate. Creatures in the temple that have suffered level loss regain 1 XP per minute spent in the temple (to a maximum of the total lost XP).

A creature with the Soul Confessor feat gains a +1 bonus to their save DC for that feat for every monolith in the temple.

Finally, twelve Penitents may congregate in a full-sized temple in a special ritual, at the culmination of which they ascend to an Outer Plane.

Racial Skills: A Zedem Monk has a +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy, Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), and Sense Motive checks.

Racial Feats: A Zedem Monk receives Soul Confessor as a bonus feat at first level.

Languages: Zedem Monks begin play speaking Common and Zedem. Zedem Monks with high Intelligence scores can learn Celestial and any other Startopia racial language.

Favoured Class: Cleric.

https://i.imgur.com/TTiZPNc.jpg
Polvakian Gem Slugs
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution, -4 Dexterity, -2 Strength. Polvakian Gem Slugs are aristocratic but bloated, slow, and feeble.

Size: Polvakian Gem Slugs are Large creatures (though they only have 5-foot reach).

Type: Polvakian Gem Slugs are aberrations.

Speed: Polvakian Gem Slugs have a base speed of 5 feet.

Darkvision (Ex): Polvakian Gem Slugs have darkvision out to 60 feet.

Limbless (Ex): A Polvakian Gem Slug has no limbs, which severely impairs its use of weapons and magic items.

Polvakian Throne (Ex): A Polvakian Gem Slug is rarely seen outside its mechanical hover-throne. The throne allows a Polvakian Gem Slug to fly at a speed of 40 feet with perfect maneuverability, though it cannot ascend more than 5 feet off the ground. Furthermore, each throne is equipped with a single mechanical limb, which functions for the Polvakian Gem Slug in all ways as though it were their own limb.

Turdite (Ex): Once per day as a full-round action a Polvakian Gem Slug may excrete a shining, extremely valuable dollop of Turdite (worth 1% of the standard WBL for a character of the Polvakian Gem Slug's level).

Racial Skills: A Polvakian Gem Slug has a +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (nobility and royalty) checks.

Racial Feats: A Polvakian Gem Slug receives Leadership as a bonus feat at first level.

Languages: Polvakian Gem Slugs begin play speaking Common and Polvakian. Polvakian Gem Slugs with high Intelligence scores can learn Elven and any other Startopia racial language.

Favoured Class: Aristocrat.

New Feats
Karmagasm
You can spread good (or bad) vibes.

Prerequisites
Psionic subtype.

Benefits
Once per day as a full-round action you may release a Karmagasm - a wave of rainbow light and good vibes that affects everything within 30 feet of you as if by a the highest-level cure spell that a cleric of your level could cast. Additionally, affected creatures gain the benefits of good hope for 10 minutes per character level and all plants in the area benefit from the enrichment effect of plant growth.

If you are evil-aligned, these effects are reversed. Creatures suffer the highest-level inflict spell possible and are struck by crushing despair, and plants are all blighted.

Special
A Karmaraman gains Karmagasm as a bonus feat at 1st level.

Love Connection
You can form bonds of exceptional intimacy.

Prerequisites
Psionic subtype.

Benefits
As a special use of the Bluff or Diplomacy skills you may form an empathic bond with another creature. Forming this bond requires a successful opposed Bluff or Diplomacy check against the creature (which the creature may choose to fail) and takes one minute. If you succeed, both you and the creature gain the benefits of greater heroism for 10 minutes per caster level (caster level 11th or your character level, whichever is greater). You may use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier and may have any number of simultaneous bonds (though the benefits do not stack). You may make rushed skill checks as normal for those skills.

If you are evil-aligned, the bond is parasitic. You still receive the greater heroism effect, but the creature takes a -4 morale penalty on attack rolls, saves, and skill checks for the duration of the effect. Afflicted creatures believe that they are benefiting from the greater heroism effect nonetheless.

Special
A Dahanese Siren gains Love Connection as a bonus feat at 1st level.

Soul Confessor
You can get creatures to open up to you, in ways that allow you to change them for the better (or the worse).

Prerequisites
Psionic subtype.

Benefits
As a full-round action, you may converse with another creature in an attempt to alter its mental state. Unless the creature succeeds on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Wisdom modifier), you may grant them the benefits of the highest-level restoration spell (lesser restoration, restoration, or greater restoration) that a cleric of your level could cast, and alter their alignment one step towards your own on each axis. Creatures may choose to fail this Will save. You may use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier.

If you are evil-aligned, you corrupt other creatures instead. Instead of a restoration effect, you deal 1d6 points of ability drain to each of the creature's mental ability scores and impose a greater geas (to do wicked things) on it, as well as altering its alignment.

Special
A Zedem Monk gains Soul Confessor as a bonus feat at 1st level.
To Do
Penitent (prestige class? feat? racial substitution level?)
Diseases (radiation sickness, common cold, solar fever, nymphitus, lunar psychosis, hyperactivus, gut worm, droop eye, volatile, blotchy green, space plague, alien spawn)
Memau, Skrashers
Scuzzers (Mark I/II/III, Security)

Lord_Drayakir
2018-07-08, 09:45 AM
I disagree with your racial stuff vehemently.

The Salt Hogs are proletariat workers and every race (except for the Polvakian Gem Slugs) likes them. They would get a bonus to Constitution and Charisma, and a penalty to Intelligence.

The Grekka Targ are described as "haughty and aloof, but the rest of the races would say miserable." They are also nerds. Intelligence bonus, Charisma penalty, and massive bonuses to operating tech.

No issue with Gray.

Dahanese Siren. Bonus to Con, penalty to Strength. They can last a long time. The wings are sexual organs and can't be used to fly. Too many skill bonuses - leave it at Diplomacy, Bluff, and Perform.

Kasvagorian. Why do they have an LA, since they're weaker than the Siren? They should get natural armor and/or bonus HP.

Karamarama. Bonus to Wisdom and Charisma, penalty to Intelligence. Why the LA penalty again? Give them their aura ability: healing and stat buffs.

Turrakkeen: Again with the LA. Also, Int +2, Wis +2, their Cha is fine. Give them a -2 to Con.

Zedem: Penalty to Charisma. Most races dislike them. Because of their abilities, I would actually increase their LA or take away their abilities.

Gem Slug: Shouldn't even be statted. They exist more as a plot device.

rferries
2018-07-08, 07:05 PM
First off, thanks for commenting and salutations to a fellow fan! Imgur has broken the image links I so painstakingly crafted for this post, I wish you could have seen them haha.

I'd also like to preface this by saying it's difficult to abstract the stats of a peep, especially since I wanted the races to have stat arrays that differed from each other as much as possible. For example all of these races are much more advanced than humans and have access to incredible technology, but I wanted to avoid giving them all an Intelligence bonus and a bonus on Disable Device/Craft/Use Psionic Device/etc.

The Salt Hogs are proletariat workers and every race (except for the Polvakian Gem Slugs) likes them. They would get a bonus to Constitution and Charisma, and a penalty to Intelligence.

The salt hogs had Constitution and Wisdom bonuses to reflect how physically and mentally resilient they are (i.e. they endure low-class facilities without complaint or depression). The Charisma penalty represents how they don't benefit as much from the upper-class facilities, and generally don't make a fuss (whereas a high-Charisma race would manipulate/intimidate others). Certainly Int or Dex penalties could work too, as you say.

The Grekka Targ are described as "haughty and aloof, but the rest of the races would say miserable." They are also nerds. Intelligence bonus, Charisma penalty, and massive bonuses to operating tech.

I gave them Wisdom for spying (Spot, Listen), Dexterity for similar roguish flavour (covertly Hiding and Moving Silently while spying), and reduced Charisma since all their interactions with other races are halved.

Dahanese Siren. Bonus to Con, penalty to Strength. They can last a long time. The wings are sexual organs and can't be used to fly. Too many skill bonuses - leave it at Diplomacy, Bluff, and Perform.

I see what you did there nyuk nyuk nyuk. However a bonus to Con isn't appropriate as they are relatively frail (can't be used as security). They do in fact use their wings on occasion to enhance their jumps (especially when giving Love) so they have some function. The skill bonuses are mostly redundant (you'll generally only be investing in one of Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate for example).

Kasvagorian. Why do they have an LA, since they're weaker than the Siren? They should get natural armor and/or bonus HP.

Powerful build is generally considered almost LA+1; I erred on the side of caution but it can easily be removed. I wouldn't call them weaker than the sirens (except from a caster vs noncaster perspective of course); note that a siren's "flight" is relatively useless.

Karamarama. Bonus to Wisdom and Charisma, penalty to Intelligence. Why the LA penalty again? Give them their aura ability: healing and stat buffs.

If anything they should have LA+2 or more! Multiple limbs allows for a lot of munchkinism. Their aura is reflected in the Karmagasm feat.

Turrakkeen: Again with the LA. Also, Int +2, Wis +2, their Cha is fine. Give them a -2 to Con.

The Turakken get the Charisma penalty for the reason you suggested the Grekka Targ should get one, and get the big Int bonus to differentiate them from the Greys. The LA is from the Int bonus, and the Two-Headed ability - they've got an excellent chance of being immune to Will effects (even if they take levels in a class with a poor Will save), and can cast multiple quickened spells per round.

Zedem: Penalty to Charisma. Most races dislike them. Because of their abilities, I would actually increase their LA or take away their abilities.

Charisma bonus reflects their "counselling" - they persuade other races on matters of faith. Their abilities are mostly minor/supportive (even with the Soul Confessor feat), so I wouldn't increase the LA further.

Gem Slug: Shouldn't even be statted. They exist more as a plot device.

Fair enough! I did them for completeness' sake, very much a DM-approval-only race.