PDA

View Full Version : Computer Environmental games

random11
2017-10-12, 02:27 AM
So, I have a friend that want to start a project, creating a game that is both fun and educational for the subject of the environment.
He is currently in the first stage where he is just tossing ideas in the air and I'd like to hear what people think and if anyone could provide some good examples.

Keep in mind that even if he gets financial support, it's likely going to be relatively tight on the budget, so keep both suggestions and examples from areas of mobile games, online sites like Kongregate, or cheaper priced Steam games.
Nevertheless, of course we want to avoid yet another junk game.

Here is what I wrote to him as some initial suggestions:

1) Don't make the problem magical, or the villain cartoonishly evil.
All it does is helps to create the illusion that this is not a problem caused by normal people, and regular motivations like common greed.
For the same reason, don't make the way to solve the problem magical.
It helps to emphasize that the solution is possible, achievable by anyone, and (most importantly) profitable.

2) Remember that you can also take a more subtle approach to the issue.
A subtle approach means that pollution will not be related to the goal of the game, but it will always be in the background, both visually and impact on the game.
For example, a hack and slash game that stars a forest god (or something like that), who gains power from nature around him.
His fight will be completely unrelated to any environmental (let's say, some supernatural monsters from a rival god).
During his fight, he will be in different locations varying from deep inside the forest to a place where the forest was cut, a lonely place to a polluted tourist area.
Visually, use both colors and sounds to create the correct atmosphere to each location.
In game play, since it is a god of the forest, give bonuses in the better places and penalties in others.

3) If you decide to go for a more direct approach, I fully support the factory or simcity-like game.
In my opinion, this is the best way to show both the problem and the solution in a way that can be both fun and educational.
Just make sure to base the solutions on real existing technologies (more advanced parts of the game can be things that can be developed soon, but don't go full fictional)
It doesn't have to be accurate, but it needs to be at least somewhat real.

Also, I suggest to give a more local penalty that global warming effects.
For example, as the pollution meter rises, the workers will be more sick and the productivity will lower.
In a city simulator, it can have an impact on happiness rank of the people, impacting everything from taxes to support (similar to how it was done in simcity)
If you want, you can also include the wider impact of the pollution, but in less direct approaches: In the factory, send "news articles" every game month describing the climate events based on the pollution level of the factory, in a city you can give a monthly rating on how is your city compared to others in terms of pollution and health.

Gnoman
2017-10-12, 12:20 PM
Pollution in Cities: Skylines fulfills your last paragraph completely - ground and water pollution makes the exposed inhabitants sicker.

The other game with profound ecological effects that immediately comes to mind is the old strategy game Global Effect.

Yora
2017-10-13, 08:53 AM
In a game about the environment, make the player experience the world through interactions with the environment.

My first idea is to make an adventure with fixed backgrounds that are full of things that can be clicked on. Problem solving should include multiple solutions that also come with unexpected side effects in the long run. Because everything is connected.

Zweanslord
2017-10-13, 02:01 PM
Since you did ask for examples to draw inspiration from, I have two for you.

Fate of the World: http://store.steampowered.com/app/80200/Fate_of_the_World/ A strategy game where you are ruler of an international organisation to develop the world and prevent global warming. Turn-based where you play cards costing money to enact different kinds of policies in regions throughout the world.

Democracy 3: http://www.positech.co.uk/democracy3/ You are leader of a country and can influence all kinds of policies by adjusting them, including those that affect the environment. While neglecting the environment is here just as possible, it does show the 'everything is connected' kind of thing as Yora mentioned, as one policy may have indirect effects elsewhere and neglected areas can cause situations to arise. Also turn based, where you spend authority to enact policies.

Honest Tiefling
2017-10-13, 02:26 PM
What age range is he shooting for? I was going to mention to perhaps include the impact environmental movements have on communities near protected sites, but if he's aiming for the elementary school level maybe that's not an important point to make.

Kaptin Keen
2017-10-13, 03:47 PM
The problem is: Do you want people to actually play it?

If you do, I see two paths that are nagivable: The 'reverse storytelling' and the sandbox.

For sandbox, I point to Oxygen Not Included. It's pretty great at showing how all the stuff we use and consume doesn't magically disappear once we're done with it - it just piles up somewhere until it chokes us. Doesn't have the same style of sandbox, or the same level of technical detail. Just build a game that makes players make their own choices - and confronts them with the consequences.

By 'reverse storytelling' I mean tell a story by discovering the consequences of the past - for instance. As in, a story in a post apocalyptic world, where the manifold reasons for universal ruin are slowly uncovered.

On the other hand, you can let political ambition guide you, and make a game that no one ever notices.

Sorry to be so glum, but it truly is my impression that thus is the way of the world. It's the infotainment conundrum.