PDA

View Full Version : Swallowing a Minimus Containment Gem

Renduaz
2017-10-12, 05:18 AM
Let's say that you cast Imprisonment and choose "Minimus Containment" on for example, a Dragon Turtle. And then through illusions or trickery or force or just burying it in a slab of meat for large creatures or whatever, you caused another creature to swallow the gem. When casting Imprisonment, you chose to specify a condition in which the spell ends, and that condition is when another creature swallows the gem.

What happens?

JackPhoenix
2017-10-12, 05:54 AM
The spell ends, as per the set conditions, and the creature appears in closest space big enough to accomodate it.

DarkKnightJin
2017-10-12, 06:37 AM
The spell ends, as per the set conditions, and the creature appears in closest space big enough to accomodate it.

This.

Sadly, no exploding beastie shenanigans for you, dear OP.
Unless the DM thinks that is fun and lets it slide, but I wouldn't count on it.

Waffle_Iron
2017-10-12, 07:57 AM
This.

Sadly, no exploding beastie shenanigans for you, dear OP.
Unless the DM thinks that is fun and lets it slide, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you're high enough level to cast this spell, and the DM plants a "No fun allowed" sign on this, you may have other issues.

Renduaz
2017-10-12, 08:19 AM

That would be one of many rulings though, wouldn't it? I do not see anything in the spell which specifies that it would "teleport" to the nearest space big enough to accommodate it if it were to end in a space which couldn't, even as other spells like Passwall and other do have that stipulation.

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-12, 08:45 AM
Its funny so id let it happen.so

Coffee_Dragon
2017-10-12, 08:49 AM
Absolutely this works. And obviously the PCs won't be the first to have thought of it. Instakill one of them during supper and have the rest fight the dragon turtle. If they show any reservations about this, complain about never getting to have any fun and find a better group, because those people are beyond salvation.

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-12, 08:54 AM
I am the elder black dragon and what The fuuuuuuck where am i and i exploded out of a small mortal man.
Ya know what i am just gonna fly home and destroy everything along the way.

Seclora
2017-10-12, 10:03 AM
Simple, the creature appears in the nearest unoccupied space that can reasonably contain it.

I like to think that the person who swallowed the gem begins gagging and slowly vomits the creature being contained(Dragon Turtle, I believe?) into a nearby 4x4 area. It should look quite unnatural, and I would impose sanity checks on everyone involved or watching.

KorvinStarmast
2017-10-12, 01:13 PM
Absolutely this works.
And obviously the PCs won't be the first to have thought of it. Instakill one of them during supper and have the rest fight the dragon turtle. If they show any reservations about this, complain about never getting to have any fun and find a better group, because those people are beyond salvation. This answer made me laugh, but I've got a serial event : once you kill the dragon turtle, you have a ginormous feast of dragon turtle soup for all of the villagers/citizens/cultists whatever nearby. Why let fresh dragon turtle got to waste? It's a delicacy!

I like to think that the person who swallowed the gem begins gagging and slowly vomits the creature being contained (Dragon Turtle, I believe?) into a nearby 4x4 area. It should look quite unnatural, and I would impose sanity checks on everyone involved or watching. Not a bad solution, but not quite as fun as the one from Coffee_Dragon. On the other hand, there's all of those stories told in the next tavern:

Bard: "Dude got so drunk he puked up a dragon turtle! I was totally there and it's totally true!"

Bartender: "Sure it's true, bud, and you're cut off!"

JackPhoenix
2017-10-12, 04:10 PM
That would be one of many rulings though, wouldn't it? I do not see anything in the spell which specifies that it would "teleport" to the nearest space big enough to accommodate it if it were to end in a space which couldn't, even as other spells like Passwall and other do have that stipulation.

Yes. As nothing in the spell suggest the creature will explode whatever container the gem is in when it is freed, I'd make a ruling. For the sake of consistency, the imprisoned creature would also take 10d6 (I think, can't be bothered to check the exact number from DMG now) force damage before being "teleported" if the area is too small to fit it (that was the ruling I've given for similar situation some time ago). And with the specific example of dragon turtle, as it is gargantuan, it may share space with large or smaller creature, so it won't have to be "teleported" that far.

Tanarii
2017-10-12, 05:16 PM
How are you getting someone to swallow a gem the size of an egg (or larger)?

First of all, we're talking D&D gems here, not real life ones. A 11000 gp gem could easily be the size of a fist.

Second of all, the spell specifies they shrink to 1 inch. That puts a minimum size of slightly over an inch in diameter on the gem.