PDA

View Full Version : Low level Half-Orc build

Implayingnude
2017-10-12, 08:59 AM
Has anyone optimised a low level build for Half-orc? I'd love to play one, if it's online early levels rather than later. I'd say any levels 3-8 is my goal, please post them. AL only please

smcmike
2017-10-12, 09:17 AM
Basically any strength-based build is good with half-orc, and very good in early levels. Just play a barbarian. It isn’t rocket science.

scalyfreak
2017-10-12, 10:01 AM
Half orcs make good fighters, and they seem to come online pretty early as well.

Crgaston
2017-10-12, 10:48 AM
Here's one...

Point Buy 16 14 16 8 10 10
L1 Barbarian 1
L2 Rogue 1
L3 Rogue 2
L4-7 Barbarian 2-5
L8-10 Rogue 3-5

Expertise in athletics and stealth, this guy trades some HP/damage for mobility.

AC 15 with no armor or 17 with just a shield, he's versatile with the weapons he can use.

Short sword(s), scimitar(s), or a whip for melee and daggers for range. Basically any finessable weapon (used with STR) will let him get the Sneak Attack damage as well. Reckless attack will let him get Advantage at will, so that 1d6+3 scimitar becomes 2d6+3, with either 2 extra AC over a great sword user AND the ability to disengage, mitigating the enemy's advantage on attacks against him, OR another 1d6 (2d6 if the 1st one missed) attack.

Expertise lets him grapple like he has a 20 STR at level 2, plus Advantage from Raging.

Cunning Action can potentially double the Barbarian movement bonus, and if he doesn't need it then he gets a free disengage or hide action, or a bonus action attack if you're using two weapons.

If he's in the thick of it, he can Rage for +2 damage per hit and take only half damage himself.

Basically, this character gives you a lot of options and different ways to fight.

Implayingnude
2017-10-12, 03:33 PM
I like the idea of a rogue, and heard that's you can do that but all the stuff that I've built has been later levels.

djreynolds
2017-10-13, 03:14 AM
I like the idea of a rogue, and heard that's you can do that but all the stuff that I've built has been later levels.

http://burrowowl.net/2014/10/the-5e-savage-duelist/

Basically, IMO you have 2 routes

Begin fighter champion and go S&B with some rogue and barbarian dips

Or begin fighter for 3 levels and snag 2 of barbarian

With rogue/fighter/barbarian its shield master shove and rapier, looking for advantage on strength checks and rolls, expertise athletics and sneak attack damage

With fighter/barbarian its a big weapon and reckless attack and GWM

I have played both. With both you are crit fishing, so you need advantage from reckless attacks and/or shoving. Be surprised how many 19s and 20s you roll.

Implayingnude
2017-10-13, 03:51 AM
http://burrowowl.net/2014/10/the-5e-savage-duelist/

Basically, IMO you have 2 routes

Begin fighter champion and go S&B with some rogue and barbarian dips

Or begin fighter for 3 levels and snag 2 of barbarian

With rogue/fighter/barbarian its shield master shove and rapier, looking for advantage on strength checks and rolls, expertise athletics and sneak attack damage

With fighter/barbarian its a big weapon and reckless attack and GWM

I have played both. With both you are crit fishing, so you need advantage from reckless attacks and/or shoving. Be surprised how many 19s and 20s you roll.

That link didn't end up working for me, but I think we're onto something here. Looking to build for around level 3-5, my group hardly ever gets to play. I'm waiting to see if the DM agree's on boosting the XP gained each fight, to pick up the lack of group play.

djreynolds
2017-10-13, 07:26 AM
Just google savage duelist, I have made many melee builds on the premise

Just decide how you will get advantage, from shield master via expertise in athletics, or shield master via advantage with rage, or heavy weapon with reckless attack

Enjoy the build, 3 levels of champion and 2 of barbarian rocks... it is fun. IMO stick with fighter if you plan to go to higher levels for 15 champions improved crit. If not just grab more barbarian.

1 level of rogue is fine for expertise