PDA

View Full Version : Kunai and Firethorne

HalfTangible
2017-10-12, 12:45 PM
[Kuniumi]
Heiwa no mori (Forest of Peace)

Gatherings among the Kunai Clans were normally bright, boisterous affairs. The clans were each in open competition with each other, though few would admit it, and such Gatherings were used as an opportunity to display their clan’s own unique culture, their honmyo. The Clans rarely interacted directly on more than a personal scale, so the chance to show off how unique one was in relation to another was an opportunity too good to pass up.

But this Gathering was somber and dark. There were no grand tapestries, no great slabs etched with newly found true names, no children playing between the stalls. The forest was quiet, save for the suspicious whispers all around them.

Few would readily admit it, but the war had long since begun. This was not a people coming together to celebrate their unity, this was a people afraid of themselves.

The same woman that had found Amerhan at the Gathering of Whitecrest had found her entourage at the border. As they reached a clearing off to the side of the main festivities, Reaper (as she’d newly introduced herself), turned to look Amerhan dead in the eye. “Stay close.” She sounded uneasy.

Zayuz
2017-10-12, 03:24 PM
"Of course. What kind of guest would I be to not follow my host's instructions?"

Amerah was in a rather bright mood compared to the gloomy atmosphere, hand far from her blade's hilt, and even further from the same tense behavior Reaper exhibited. That said, she was looking out for any people hidden away in the trees.. As was her guard, a man who went by the name of Kirikallin. She was intending to bring more, but after being told it was inappropriate to bring a force to the gathering she downgraded to the one she thought the most loyal. Not necessarily the most skilled. He was quiet for most of the journey, checking around as if expecting an ambush to drop at any moment.

"So, hold on.. You can't even prove Reaper isn't a Shushan spy manipulating you into walking into a trap? Do I got that right?" He had asked her, with a worried tone to his voice.

"That's right.. But at what point did liberty ever come without risk? If I trust in them, I believe that they should trust in me.. Plus, they can't believe that the Regiment is run by a single Captain, can they? Taking me out would but incur the wrath of all the others, and this forest would be ash in a fortnight."

"I don't think the forest is all that flammable, it's been wet this season.."

"Oh, hush.. Fires of flame or war-- If they cannot have one, they would have the other."

They both hushed as Reaper told them to stay close, even Amerah's positive mood slipping as she searched cautiously through the trees. They were both armed, of course.. And their metal armor still clinked a bit with each step. Being a regiment as they were, it seemed that they took a very different approach to intrigue. Rather than being shadows and daggers, it had always been more information and influence for them.. Times like these reminded both Amerah and her guard both how valuable their intel had always been. Going into something so blindly hardly made for a comfortable sport..

HalfTangible
2017-10-12, 06:00 PM
"Of course. What kind of guest would I be to not follow my host's instructions?"

Amerah was in a rather bright mood compared to the gloomy atmosphere, hand far from her blade's hilt, and even further from the same tense behavior Reaper exhibited. That said, she was looking out for any people hidden away in the trees.. As was her guard, a man who went by the name of Kirikallin. She was intending to bring more, but after being told it was inappropriate to bring a force to the gathering she downgraded to the one she thought the most loyal. Not necessarily the most skilled. He was quiet for most of the journey, checking around as if expecting an ambush to drop at any moment.

"So, hold on.. You can't even prove Reaper isn't a Shushan spy manipulating you into walking into a trap? Do I got that right?" He had asked her, with a worried tone to his voice.

"That's right.. But at what point did liberty ever come without risk? If I trust in them, I believe that they should trust in me.. Plus, they can't believe that the Regiment is run by a single Captain, can they? Taking me out would but incur the wrath of all the others, and this forest would be ash in a fortnight."

"I don't think the forest is all that flammable, it's been wet this season.."

"Oh, hush.. Fires of flame or war-- If they cannot have one, they would have the other."

They both hushed as Reaper told them to stay close, even Amerah's positive mood slipping as she searched cautiously through the trees. They were both armed, of course.. And their metal armor still clinked a bit with each step. Being a regiment as they were, it seemed that they took a very different approach to intrigue. Rather than being shadows and daggers, it had always been more information and influence for them.. Times like these reminded both Amerah and her guard both how valuable their intel had always been. Going into something so blindly hardly made for a comfortable sport..

After a day or two of his constant paranoid glancing, Reaper had finally burst. "Oh do stop your fidgeting, Kiri, there are Satsujin here, but they're here to protect us. If I was stupid enough to want your Lady Captain dead, I would have just killed her back in Whitecrest and left the killer a mystery. You're never going to spot them anyway, you're looking in all the wrong places."

She had spent most of the trip trying to impress upon them how important it was that they watch the terms they used. No one would expect foreigners to grasp every intricacy of the honmyo ("And to be honest I'm not going to bother trying to teach you for this; that would take time we don't have") but she had at least taught them well enough to avoid a deliberate faux pas.

The Gathering was, in essence, how the Kunai decided matters that would affect the majority of the clans. The Shushan had declared themselves master over all of the people of Kuniumi, and the Satsujin openly questioned the legitimacy of their claim. For the Shushan to openly assert their claim and the other Kunai to allow it, they would need the support of - at the absolute least - a majority of the major clans. The Amidasu and the Yasei had sent representatives, and neither's alleigance was clear. However, the Chojo were a clan that was fond of foreigners ("They need to be") and Reaper was reasonably certain they'd side with the Satsujin. Foreign influencers like Amerhan could technically speak whenever they pleased, though it was considered polite to not interrupt and to wait until the Gathering officially began. Each clan's representative would be the first to speak before such a thing were called.

"Mumei will meet you at the actual Gathering." Reaper had promised. "She must, you see; it would be unbecoming of her to send anyone else of the Satsujin in her stead. At the same time, openly traveling together would be..." she hesitated. "...Dangerous."

Reaper had said that, but as the group made their way into a clearing and saw 4 figures all cloaked in black, Mumei had not shown herself.

One of the figures lowered his hood, snorting. Shushan remained as he had been at Whitecrest. A black goatee, tanned skin, purple eyes. "And so the nameless choose to arrive at last."

Reaper's head whipped up like she'd been slapped. "What did you call us?!" She clapped her hand over her own mouth, realizing what she'd just done. The first to speak, she'd said, would represent their clan.

"Already the Shushan resort to grievous insults to place their 'enemy' on the back foot; what a promising start." One of the other figures sighed, lowering her own hood to reveal a young woman with bright blonde hair curling around her shoulders. Of the women that the group had seen so far, she had used the most cosmetics; she radiated youth, vigor and beauty. Doubtless this was Chojo.

"We are here and the matter is grave, let us delay not." This figure was by far the oldest of the group, easily in his late sixties. He bore a cane, and his beard was so thick he seemed to speak without moving his mouth. His eyes blazed with an old, bitter anger as he glanced between each of the group. This was Yasei. "Some of us do not have the luxury of time."

"Then the Gathering begins." The last figure turned to Amerhan and her guards. He was the only one who had not lowered his hood, but the excitement in his voice was palpable. By process of elimination, this was probably Amidasu. "And yet, the Kunai are not alone here. Represent yourselves. Your true name, if you would."

He wasn't asking for her literal true name. It was a very short way of asking for their names, titles, and what brought them to this place. Whichever among them spoke first would, like Reaper, be the representative for the remainder of the gathering.

Zayuz
2017-10-14, 05:06 AM
Days of travel were more than the Lady Captain had expected. Her aim was to remember how way to the meeting point from her border, but at this point it was all a mess in her head. The road would be too long, and not well enough marked for her to return without a guide. Kiri had since given up on searching for those in the trees. Reaper was right. If she wanted them dead it would probably already be done. They both took a fair bit of comfort in knowing that they would finally meet Mumei, but when they arrived, she wasnt there.

Amerah had gotten their guide to well explain just what to expect from each clan.. Or at least what to look for. By the time she arrived she could recognize each of them by characteristics, and they definitely recognized her. She also realized that she was the only person with any visible guards, but there was no doubt in her mind that the shadows watched their every step. Their initial exchange was perhaps less graceful than it could have been, but when called upon she looked to Reaper before forming any words; making sure that she wasn't breaking any customs by speaking.

"My name? Very well." She paused, gathering the attention of those present. "I am Lady Captain Amerah Kren of the Firethorn Regiment, accompanied by Sir Kirikallin, newly appointed knight under my command. As the Yasei clan pleases, we will not waste your time by asking which clans you all represent. I am familiar with them, thanks to our guide here, who may name herself if she so pleases." At this point she would let Reaper state her name to correct her 'namelessness' if she wanted. "I am a stranger to these meetings, so allow me first to describe my intentions. You are all likely informed on the fact that Varjik has had quarrels with the empire in recent times.. Quarrels that ended in blood, and independence. A war we won, only to fall into their service once again under more agreeable terms. We return to our empire because at our heart, we are still Avakonian. The Firethorn Regiment wishes to see the Empire restored to its former glory. A united, all encompassing power that could bring about a new golden age to all the world. The first step for our regiment then is not to go about conquering anyone as we so please, but to uproot corruption from within. We have struck it out of our region, and speak to the empress herself on continuing our reformations within the greater empire and her homeland. But I stray from our topic at hand. Apologies."

"I requested the Shushan clan to submit accounts of policy, spending, and tactics they use to represent the empire, but I was met with a rather hostile rebuttal. Further investigation has lead me to believe that their influence on the region is weak on account of failing leadership tactics and law enforcement, among other things. I would propose at this gathering simply that the authority of the Shushan clan as an imperial power is revoked, and hope that the other clans may come to work alongside the empire not as subjects, but as allies. It is my personal opinion that at the moment being ruled by any imperial 'representative' is a surefire path to the inadequate state that the much of the other current imperial territories lie in, as my own homeland once did. If the age of unity is to be tomorrow, then we must first free ourselves from the timeworn shackles of corruption today. ..And with that, we may continue with the meeting as proposed." Amerah bows her head, waiting for the next person to speak.

HalfTangible
2017-10-14, 02:07 PM
The different clan heads looked between each other as Amerha finished her speech. From the leaves came the slightest hint of rustled murmuring.

Yasei glared at Shushan. "We... didn't expect that. But power is not something that can be taken away with a word. Else you would not have any power in the first place."

The Satsujin smiled at Amerhan. The Captain had done well. "'Reaper' will do, I think. There is no need to change what you have called me throughout this trip."

"That is not our tongue." Shushan growled. "Do you have so little respect for-"

"Cease your belligerence." Chojo interrupted, and all four of the other clan representatives whipped their heads to look at her, their expressions denoting surprise at her interruption. She glanced to the Firethorne Captain and her guard. "Shushan, your hatred for the Satsujin is well noted, but if this Lady Captain granted Reaper a name, it is only fitting that we continue to use it. She has attempted, however clumsily, to respect us despite her... understandable ignorance of our ways. That is enough, is it not?"

Shushan's eyes narrowed, and Reaper's smile turned to a smirk.

"Fine, 'Reaper'." Shushan growled. “Mumei sends one who hasn’t earned a name to represent her?”

“I have many names, Shushan, as we all do. I thought one in the trade language was appropriate, given the nature of my guest.”

Shushan sneered at the guest Reaper had brought. “Oh, the traitor is a guest, how precious. Is Mumei’s sole defense going to be a foreign rebel? One who accuses me of corruption and incompetence?”

“Her rebellion is complete, and has been brought here to hopefully prevent our names from being stained with war.” Reaper said slowly. “I would think that you would want to-”

“Prevent it?!” Shushan yelled. “War’s name has stained us for years, Satsujin! As much as you try to hide it, your clan is running roughshod over my lands, unchecked and unchallenged, killing as you will! My caravans are destroyed, at least two clans have fallen because of the Satsujin’s actions!”

“You think this war, Shushan?” Reaper snorted. “I assure you, the Satsujin Clan has not even begun to fight.”

“Those who bear the Satsujin name also take on the name of terrorists, assassins, murderers and traitors all!”

“I can play the name game too, child. Those who bear the name Shushan take on the name of tyrants, killers, and slaves to Avakonia, a land that has long since misplaced its honor.” Reaper shot back. “And Mumei requires no defense, Shushan. You, on the other hand, have much to answer for. On top of what Amerhan just laid at your feet (and you have refused to address, I note) you tried to take leadership of the clans by force. You would reduce us all in your mad bid for domination.”

Chojo stepped forward, frowning. “As much as I would like to agree with the Reaper and take the opportunity to Shu-shun, Mumei indeed has much to answer for. Starting this war, for one.”

Reaper’s gaze whipped to her. She hadn’t been expecting this. “Shushan has declared himself ruler of all the Kunai Clans, and you blame us for this conflict?”

“Your Mumei claims that she acts in the interest of the Kunai and no others when she resists the Shushan, for their actions are that of a foreign power attempting to restrain and control us.” Chojo pointed to the Firethorn Captain. “And yet this woman seeks to integrate us as well, does she not?”

Reaper’s eyes narrowed. “I thought the Chojo would be pleased to be rid of Shushan dominance.” Her tone implied a bit more than speculation.

“Not if we are simply dominated by someone else.” She shot back.

"Agreed. Our names will be reduced either way, but at least the Shushan remain Kunai."

"Did you not hear a word she said?" Reaper's eyes blazed. "She wants allies, not servants!"

"There is little difference between the true names of Ally and Servant, when the ally is stronger than you. And Avakonia is most definitely stronger than us."

Shushan had his own smirk now, and the bearded Yasei grunted approval.

The hooded Amidasu figure turned to face Reaper directly. "Heheh, but silly me, that's not the topic at hand, is it? Where is Mumei?"

"She hides." Yasei growled. "As the Satsujin always have. Are you surprised? She cannot even bear her own name."

"Can't say it looks good when the one you accuse of starting a war shows his name, but you do not, eh, Satsujin?"

"That she would send you to answer for her crimes is disgraceful and cowardly." Shushan snarled. "Has she even met with this potential ally she wants us to consider?"

Reaper's eyes narrowed, and the clearing was quiet for a long moment.

"Well, Amerhan?" Shushan turned to face her. "You say that Shushan's true name is that of incompetence. Have you even met with Avakonia's worst enemy in this land?"

"The Satsujin are not our enemy." Chojo shook her head. "But... I admit curiosity. Did you meet with Mumei before coming here?"

Zayuz
2017-10-14, 05:45 PM
At the mention of being a traitor Amerah had but to hold her tongue. No matter how much she protested it, it seemed to be the way everyone outside of her own force regarded her. Even now that she had returned to her empress' service, it was not enough. She had slain her countrymen, and that truth could never be unchanged. Her attention falters in self reflection a moment before the Chojo's pointing finger awakens her, hearing something of integration. She blinks, and luckily the conversation continues before she can be called out for anything.

Some talk of true names, of allies and servants caught her attention. Their view of both was skeptical, and that she could understand. When discussion was rerouted again a second time to her, she was ready.. Though not particularly for this question. The truth was that she had not. Her eyes darted across the crowd. She had heard the trees murmur earlier, as well. These representatives were clearly not her only spectators.

"..If this were truly an Avakonian ruled province, then there would be no enemies within it at all." She retorted. "And I would stress the word ally in my previous words. Independence on my part is assured, so long as the promise and act of co-operation is withheld. Ally and servant may mean something similar in your tongue, but in mine an ally is determined to be an equal deserving of both respect and freedom of action. ..But to the root of the question-- No. I have not met with Mumei outside of what Reaper tells me. She was supposed to be present here this evening. If her reputation is truly to be one with shadows I doubt she is so far, in any case."

"..Though both her and mine peoples stand in opposition to the Shushan clan's authority in the region, it would be unwise to assume that Mumei represents my intentions. Cloak and dagger tactics are very far from what the Firethorn Regiment employs. When we come to war, we make sure our opponents know our terms, and their rights before death as Dejan's great warlords had done a century ago. Our statements and actions stand with or without her clan, though they seem to have expressed a desire to co-operate through Reaper. ..But at this, I am wary. Until I have seen the face of the Satsujin, I cannot know for sure weather or not I see truth in her eyes. ..And unless the Shushan are willing to lay down their claim before the fighting begins, I fear I may have to ask the same question of others present. Do you wish to play a part in deciding the future of the clans? In times of strife, even the peaceful of soul must sometimes take up arms for what they believe. I have stated what I fight for, and I would then encourage others here to reflect on their own beliefs as well; if they are or are not worth the struggle to have them affixed unto reality and hammered down into the legacy of your people."

HalfTangible
2017-10-14, 07:54 PM
"... Heheheh." Reaper chuckled. "Perhaps you understand after all."

"Enough." Yasei growled, stepping towards Reaper, a slight limp to his step. "I think we've heard enough. Amerah has no right to be here if Mumei is not present to invite her."

Reaper scowled. "Technicality."

"Technically, her life and yours are forfeit."

Reaper's reaction was immediate. She snapped her fingers once, and there was a scream from the woods.

"That was too far." Reaper said coldly. "Threaten us again and see how long you last."

Yasei didn't even turn to acknowledge the scream. "Insolent child. You dishonor your clan by acting against your betters."

Chojo sighed, bored with the entire situation. "He is not entirely wrong, Reaper. If Mumei is here, please, call her out to speak with us. We would know her thoughts on this woman."

Reaper raised an eyebrow. “Mumei is here.”

Shushan scowled. “Then where is she?! Bring her out!”

"She is out." Reaper folded her arms, glared at Shushan, and waited.

"What do you think you're doing? This is-"

"I'm giving you a minute to realize you've been hearing Mumei's thoughts this whole time."

The silence was deafening. After a few moments of confused glancing, Amidasu recoiled from the Satsujin. "... You."

“Oh finally.” She growled. “I did not think I was subtle. Yes, I am Mumei, the Secret Mistress of the Satsujin Clan. Did you really think you’d managed to trick any of my Satsujin into speaking out of turn? Or that I would trust the safety of a potential ally of this importance to anyone else? Does anyone else wish to question my guest's right to be here? I am more than willing to cause some problems.”

There was no response.

"Good. Now listen."

“To answer your accusations directly, yes, I asked that the Kunai be sworn under the name of the Firethorne regiment.”

Shushan’s eyes flashed with triumph. “Oh, did you?”

Chojo’s eyes blazed with anger. “You backstabbing-”

Mumei held up a hand as Chojo began to speak. “But she turned my proposal down, as I’d hoped, and instead asked that the Kunai Clans who wish for her rulership to stand alongside her. Oaths are meaningless if they do not change your name.” She glanced to Amerah. “What was the delightful little phrase you used? ‘Actions speak louder than words’?”

"I kept my name secret primarily to find out something about our prospective leader: how does she treat those beneath her?" Mumei raised an eyebrow. "Very well, as it turns out. Unlike Yasei or Shushan-" At this, both of the mentioned men's surprised stares turned back into angry glares "-she treated 'Reaper' with due respect. She didn't kowtow, but she didn't denigrate me either."

"And what, precisely, does that tell us?" Yasei growled.

"She is sincere. We will be her allies, if we choose to stand with her." She glanced to Chojo. "That was your main concern, wasn't it?"

Chojo gave her a knowing smirk.

"Now. To the main subject at hand." Mumei turned, her gaze absolutely livid, and stared down Shushan. The bearded man stood his ground, but there was an unease in his eyes now. "You and me. At the end of its name, this Gathering is between you and I."

Shushan scowled and stepped forward.

Mumei stepped towards him, as well. "You have not behaved as a leader should. Petty, self-centered, constantly angry and above all, useless. You claim a power that is not yours because of the word of a dead man. Dejan the Named One bore a great name, to be sure, but he has long since passed."

"Chojo said that I had no right to volunteer the clans, and she is correct. Because we are not anyone's subjects here. No one 'grants' us our power. The Kunai are as powerful as we make ourselves. As Yasei told Amerah, if you can lose power with a few well-placed words, you never had power in the first place. And as I see it, that is precisely the nature of your claim: empty words that you cannot back up. You couldn't preserve the Migi or Hidari clans from my wrath. You can't protect your own caravans. Your most powerful subjects desert you, and even now you have no recourse but petty insults."

"You have no power here." Mumei stopped walking. "I do. And I welcome the Firethorn regiment's investigation into your activities."

Shushan sneered. "And what will you do when I resist? Side with foreign blood against the Kunai?"

"Yes."

Shushan scowled. "Then we will end you for betraying your lands and your daimyo. You will be stopped, one way or another."

"You will not be able to stop us." Mumei's tone didn't change; she sounded almost like she was dicussing weather patterns.

Shushan scowled once more, now standing directly in front of Mumei. “You would bring those named warmongers to our woods and claim you want PEACE?! They will bring war to us as surely as night was named after day!!”

Mumei glared right back at Shushan. “War is already here, Shushan. Or did you forget your own words?”

"You cannot destroy my name."

"You destroyed it yourself. I will wipe away the remains if I must."

Silence filled the clearing once more. The two clan leaders stared right into each other's eyes, each daring the other to make a move. Tension hung in the air like a fog, and for a long moment no one knew what to say.

"...I think," Chojo said finally, her gaze locked onto the two clean leaders. "The intentions of both the Satsujin and the Shushan are clear. Unless Amerah or anyone else has anything to say, it is time the rest of us made our decisions."

Chojo's words seemed to snap both Mumei and Shushan out of their trance. Both began to step backwards, slowly, until each was ten paces apart. They never broke eye contact. Yasei and Amidasu looked to Amerah, as if expecting her to speak.

Zayuz
2017-10-16, 03:22 PM
For a moment, the suggestion that she had no 'right' to be here rather alarmed the Lady Captain and her guard. Was that a threat? After her rather hostile intentions towards the Shushan clan were announced, it would be rather easy for one among them to score some points with their leader by cutting the three of them down where they stood. The scream had her tense, but at the reveal that Reaper was indeed Mumei all along, she felt considerably safer. Shocked, but safer. Had all the things she had said really safe enough to go directly to Mumei? She thought on it for a moment before dismissing the notion. It was too late to look back now.

The judgement bestowed upon her was.. Somehow relieving. Never before had she so suddenly cared what another thought of her as she had in that moment. It was in her favor, but her heart raced all the while. Among these people she realized just how powerless she would have been without Mumei's protection in the moment. A flustered look of shock would rest on her face throughout the encounter, but not matched with the same glare her would be opponents had.

The redirection of attention to the offenses and failings of the Shushan would allow her the time needed to gather her thoughts as the Chojo asked for any final thoughts. She breathed a short breath, waiting to see if anyone had things to say before she did. None came.

"..Sure, I'll contribute my final thoughts-- An invitation, but not for war. For any here who do not wish to resist the expulsion of the Shushan clan, you may discuss with me post meeting if you wish to acquire permission and support for obtain goods from Varjik or Avakonia at large. We're interested in more than just war now that we've won our homeland, after all." She offers the group a small smile, particularly the Chojo representative, before bowing her head again. "That is all. Thank you for allowing my attendance at your meeting."

HalfTangible
2017-10-16, 10:40 PM
Amerah's words were met with no response, at first. There was a palpable sense of unease in the clearing now, and the quiet grew worse. As the silence stretched on, Shushan's smirk began to fade. This clearly hadn't been the response he'd been hoping for. Mumei took some small comfort in that, at least. She hadn't expected this, either. The Chojo Clan's hesitance was worrying her; they never turned down an opportunity to mingle with foreign blood.

Yasei was the first to step forward. He moved to stand with Shushan, and glanced to Mumei. "The Kunai are ruled by Kunai. Our way is the shadow, the clean kill, and the eyes in the dark. As Amerah just told us, that is not her way, nor that of her regiment."

Chojo nodded. "Well said."

Mumei began to sweat. That was not good.

Chojo glanced back at Amerah, or more specifically her guard. "Well said indeed." After a few more moments' silence, she stepped forward to stand with Mumei, taking the shorter woman's hand (much to her surprise). She turned to look at Yasei and Shushan. "The Satsujin are Kunai as well, no less than you. But they know what that means better than you; we are equals here, all our ways ancient and strong. The Kunai have no need of Dejan's permission to survive."

Shushan scowled. "You can't be serious. I-"

"Stop talking, you're out of turn. I will add that I am interested in acquiring marble from Avakonia, for our tablets, and..." Chojo's mouth twitched into a bright smile as she glanced back over her shoulder. "Well... the Chojo is in need of new daughters. Our new allies shall be quite helpful I think, if they're willing to... accommodate us."

Mumei tried (and mostly failed) not to gag. Ugh, Chojo.

That only left the Amidasu.

Eventually, Amidasu spoke as well. "...The Chojo make their decisions based on their desire for 'foreign imports'. The Satsujin hide until the right moment, and strike without mercy. On the other hand, the Shushan and the Yasei seek to preserve our past, and I have no doubt that they can safeguard us." Amidasu glanced between Shushan and Mumei. He snickered, and under his hood he shrugged. "But the Amidasu have always striven to move our people forward, and that way forward is clear to me." He then moved next to the two women, still keeping his hood up. "Don't make me regret it."

Mumei said nothing, though she did release a sigh she had not realized she'd been holding. Three on her side, two on theirs. She glanced to Yasei. "Well?"

Yasei glanced between the three clan heads that now stood against him and Shushan. He sighed. "So that's that, then."

"'Fraid so." Mumei said quietly. "The Shushan are to be investigated, and potentially destroyed."

"Regrettable, but yes. A respectable game you've played, Mumei. I commend your name." Yasei's gaze fell on Shushan now, and the latter's eyes had widened in panic. "Don't look so surprised, boy, it's unbecoming. This Gathering has ruled against us, and as such, we go with Mumei's plan. Now submit."

"..... No."

Mumei's eyes widened, and Yasei's narrowed. "That wasn't a request, boy. Submit."

Shushan placed his hands behind his back, and looked up towards the night sky. "No, I don't think I will. This land is my birthright, and no vote by some gathering of peasantry can take it from me. Your pitiful attempts have amused me for a time. They no longer do."

Mumei frowned. "This is not up for debate any longer, haisha."

"It's a very quiet evening, don't you think? Silence in every direction." The man turned around, showing the purple symbol of his clan to the clearing. "I think I'll go for a walk through my lands."

Mumei flicked her wrist. An iron knife fell into her hand from her sleeve. "Yasei, move." Yasei took a step away from the man.

Shushan looked back at Mumei. "What was it you said? 'You will not be able to stop me'?"

"Don't do it, Shushan." She warned, readying the blade. "You won't make it out of Kuniumi."

"Watch me." He disappeared just as Mumei's knife flew into the darkness, and there was a thunk of metal on wood.

Mumei growled, rubbing her wrist. This gathering had gone... well, it had gone. Yasei turned to face Amerha. "Mumei's threats are bravado and little more. Shushan will likely get away."

"Not for long."

"Perhaps. But in any case," Yasei said, his voice hoarse, "It seems the Kunai and Firethorne are to be allies. What are your terms for alliance, Lady Captain?"

Zayuz
2017-10-17, 02:47 PM
To have three of the four possible clans side in her favour, Amerah was fairly pleased then with how the gathering had gone. She had not expected the Shushan to lay down and let their claim be passed anyways-- the removal of power often ended with bloodshed, no matter who it was that was being dethroned. Left alone with the other four leaders then, then made a small sigh, then nodding to them.

"The only regrets we may have are for those that could not be made to see reason. The empire can be very accommodating.. While I would warn the Chojo against gaining materials through certain contacts within the empire, I beg rather that you do not grow too attached to them. The inquisition will be rooting out those who are corrupt in commerce as well as governance."

"..For terms of alliance though, I should not force your people into anything too concrete. My causes are not by any means yours, and I do not expect yours to be mine. To be on friendly terms is reward enough-- Succor in times of need would be appreciated on both sides, as they no doubt await us in the future - By which I mean shared intelligence concerning plots against the other, resources of crucial import, and aid in the face of natural disaster. But as for myself, I am content to know that your lands will soon be free of chains. I hope it inspires peace between you all. These would be my terms, but I would know before making them concrete if those present wished for different conditions, in addition to promises I have already made."

HalfTangible
2017-10-17, 07:47 PM
Chojo chuckled brightly. "Not why I said that."

Mumei looked to the other leaders, and they looked to her. Something unspoken seemed to pass between them, for the briefest moment. Then she turned walked to Amerah. "Chojo brought up the marble because our people need... a more permanent manner to record our history than paper, and the discovery of new honmyo. Ordinary stone will do fine as well, perhaps clay."

Mumei held out her hand. "But that can wait. Peace has been won, and we thank you for your role in it. You can count on us in the shadows, tomodachi ."