PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Mending

sir_argo
2017-10-12, 02:00 PM
Does Mending repair burn damage?

When I read the spell, it appears to only knit together material that is already there. Literally says, "a single break or tear," and the examples are a broken chain link, two halves of a broken key, a torn cloak, or a leaking wineskin. Each of those sounds like all the material is present, just cut or torn. Similarly, it doesn't sound like it would get rid of rust damage from a suit of armor. What is your interpretation of the spell?

Scyrner
2017-10-12, 02:10 PM
Personally, unless the players have figured out a way to break the game with Mending repairing burn damage, I'd probably let it. It seems within the concept of the spell, as I understand it.

RSP
2017-10-12, 05:48 PM
RAW, you could debate the extent of the spell, which oddly seems more effective in repairing magic items then mundane ones.

However, I don't know that I'd have an issue with a PC repairing whatever. Taking Mending over a typically more effective cantrip like Firebort, Eldritch Blast, Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, Move Earth, etc. is already enough of an opportunity cost to make me okay with not being horribly restrictive with the effectiveness of the spell.

Afrodactyl
2017-10-12, 06:22 PM
I'd allow mending to repair damage when you don't have all of the parts, as long as it's a mundane item and you have the vast majority of it.

I wouldn't allow it for magic items though, or plot centric MacGuffins

Vogie
2017-10-12, 09:32 PM
I would think it would depend on the fluff of the power. For example, if the mending is Time-based I could see that the mending could unburn paper to reveal the text that used to be on the paper... however, if it was a typical Transmutation-based mending, you'd get the paper, but not the text.

DarkKnightJin
2017-10-13, 12:04 AM
I'd allow mending to repair damage when you don't have all of the parts, as long as it's a mundane item and you have the vast majority of it.

I wouldn't allow it for magic items though, or plot centric MacGuffins

Pretty sure that the spells explicitly says you can Mend magic items, but not restore the magic to it.

Afrodactyl
2017-10-13, 02:30 AM
Pretty sure that the spells explicitly says you can Mend magic items, but not restore the magic to it.

I meant restoring the item without all of its parts. So I'd allow a normal sword to be repaired when you've got most of it, but for a magic sword you're gonna need all of the bits (if you want it to stay magic)

DarkKnightJin
2017-10-13, 02:40 AM
I meant restoring the item without all of its parts. So I'd allow a normal sword to be repaired when you've got most of it, but for a magic sword you're gonna need all of the bits (if you want it to stay magic)

Well, you could say the sword gets fixed without having all the parts.. but it loses some, or all, of the perks beyond it being 'magic for the purposes of overcoming resistances'.
They can retry when they have all parts, maybe. But I suspect one would need a proper forge and smithing experience to restore that blade to its former power.

Of course, this shouldn't be coming up a lot as magic items are notoriously hard to break in such a significant way.

Hrugner
2017-10-13, 02:45 AM
I'm pretty sure it doesn't since a burn is neither a break nor a tear. That said, our table plays mending as it worked in older versions so that it isn't completely useless.

lebefrei
2017-10-13, 02:49 AM
I've never had this come up, but as a DM that is interested in the little details I'd probably make them roll something to successfully recognize and gather the ashes (the burned remains), to place onto the object before casting mending. the ashes would then be magicked back into the item, like binding a tear. If said ashes had, for example, been blown away in a strong wind I probably would not allow the spell. I play more survivalist and use Gritty Realism, and such, though, so I'm a little harder on this sort of thing. I'd think many DMs I've had wouldn't care unless it circumvents a railroaded plot point.

Quoxis
2017-10-13, 02:56 AM
RAW: no.
RAI: maybe.
DM dependant: i personally don't see why not, if it's not game breaking and within The boundaries of the spell (no magic items, for example).
Try to use it with reason:
- you burned your cloak and don't want to get a new one? Ok.
- you burned 90% of something and only have a scrap left? Meh. Maybe try to ccombine it with something relatively equal (burned big parts of your cloak? Put some fabric in the holes and magically fuse it). Edit: i like lebefrei's answer (collecting the ashes) better than this.

Asmotherion
2017-10-13, 03:11 AM
Does Mending repair burn damage?

When I read the spell, it appears to only knit together material that is already there. Literally says, "a single break or tear," and the examples are a broken chain link, two halves of a broken key, a torn cloak, or a leaking wineskin. Each of those sounds like all the material is present, just cut or torn. Similarly, it doesn't sound like it would get rid of rust damage from a suit of armor. What is your interpretation of the spell?

It does repair to a good condition a break or tear that is "up to 1 foot in any dimenssion". I suppose that this means that up to 1 cubbic foot of matterial can be missising, as long as the rest is mostly intact. It is also suggested in Hoard of the Dragon Queen that multiple castings of Mending can repair more than that.

In order not to make this spell too powerfull I'd rule that you need both halves of an item to be present, or the item to be 75% whole for the magic to be able to reconstruct it, becose otherwise it'd be able to be abused:

Example:
-Hey, look a nice sword... Might be expensive if we sold it to the blacksmith. Too bad I already looted too much, and we can't bring it with us.
Party Sorcerer: It's alright, just break me it's Handle, and give it to me. Actually do so for all the swords in this dungeon. I've got an idea...
-Are you sure... we could come back for them later, it's not like anyone will come here.
Sorcerer: Just trust me on this one.
In front of the Blacksmith:
Blacksmith: Ehm, excuse me sir, I don't mean to be rude, but is your friend actually growing swords out of Handles?
-Eh, something like that... So, will you buy them?
Blacksmith: More like, can I hire him?

DarkKnightJin
2017-10-13, 06:13 AM
It does repair to a good condition a break or tear that is "up to 1 foot in any dimenssion". I suppose that this means that up to 1 cubbic foot of matterial can be missising, as long as the rest is mostly intact. It is also suggested in Hoard of the Dragon Queen that multiple castings of Mending can repair more than that.

In order not to make this spell too powerfull I'd rule that you need both halves of an item to be present, or the item to be 75% whole for the magic to be able to reconstruct it, becose otherwise it'd be able to be abused:

Example:
-Hey, look a nice sword... Might be expensive if we sold it to the blacksmith. Too bad I already looted too much, and we can't bring it with us.
Party Sorcerer: It's alright, just break me it's Handle, and give it to me. Actually do so for all the swords in this dungeon. I've got an idea...
-Are you sure... we could come back for them later, it's not like anyone will come here.
Sorcerer: Just trust me on this one.
In front of the Blacksmith:
Blacksmith: Ehm, excuse me sir, I don't mean to be rude, but is your friend actually growing swords out of Handles?
-Eh, something like that... So, will you buy them?
Blacksmith: More like, can I hire him?

He might be able to turn the hilts into daggers, but that's about as much as I'll give 'em on a cantrip..
Now, if they decided to bring the blades in a different bag and put them together so the Mending would just be like welding it back in place?
I might let that slide.

Ventruenox
2017-10-13, 12:15 PM
Got petrified by a beholder last night and the party barbarian broke off one of my character's appendages. Would you permit Mending to reattach it before the casting of Greater Restoration?

RSP
2017-10-13, 01:29 PM
Got petrified by a beholder last night and the party barbarian broke off one of my character's appendages. Would you permit Mending to reattach it before the casting of Greater Restoration?

Unfortunately, I don't think you cease being a creature when petrified (or more to the point: you don't become an object).

Mending only works on objects.

That said, a DM could certainly allow it.