PDA

View Full Version : 5e Wizard path homebrew

Evorox
2017-10-12, 05:45 PM
Greetings all, I love wizards, they have been my first pick for a class since 3rd edition. however, since 5e came out, I have noticed that wizards seemed to lose a LOT of power, I have had most experience DM-ing and playing 3.5, and in 3.5 at least, there is a lot of ways for a wizard to outplay the fighter in combat, outclass the bard in a tavern, and generally make the cleric feel useless with his cute little holy buffs. SO, I got to thinking, what types of home-brew are out there? well, after some searching I found a lot of great ideas, but none of them truly fit this one mage I was writing up. this is though, my first homebrew, and I would love some feedback on it, is it to overpowering? not powerful enough? what loopholes and flaws are here? any and all criticism is welcome,

Here is my wizard path for a 5e

Texentes wizard archetype:

While most wizards pick a school of magic and story that particular school Texentes Wizards study the weave, the underlying base of magic from which all effects and incantations are plucked from, by studying this weave, they gain the ability to manipulate spells at their core, interweave them, and unwind them at will.

Universal savant:

Starting at 2nd level when you choose this class feature, the material cost it takes to copy spells into your spellbook is now two levels lower than the spell's normal level is (minimum first level)

Spellweave:

Starting at 6th level, you gain the ability to simultaneously cast two spells at once as long as they abide by the following rules: when you cast spells in this manner, you must expend slots appropriate for the spells, as you normally would, both spells must have the same casting time, area of effect, range, and targets. They may, however, have different durations, and if both spells require concentration, you may concentrate on both so long as you abide by the rules for concentrating on each simultaneously. For example, you can’t weave fireball and lightning bolt together, since fireball is a large spherical area of effect, and lightning bolt is a straight line. You can however, weave spells like mage armour and disguise self, or burning hands and color spray.

Unweave:

Starting at 10th level, you have sufficiently studied the weave of magic to know how to manipulate spells that are not your own. Whenever a spell is cast within 30 ft of you, you may use your reaction to make an intelligence check to attempt to dispel the incantation, the (DC is 10+the casters proficiency + the level of the spell) of you succeed the spell immediately fails, and none of its effects engage. If a spell is cast, and you are out of range, then move into range, (or vice versa) you may do the same, for example, if a Protection from good and evil is cast, and you move within 30 ft of the circle, you may attempt to Unweave it, likewise, if a lightning bolt is cast, and the bolt flies within your range, you also may attempt this. if you succeed in this manner, all effects the spell has already enacted remain, (such as healing) but further effects, or effects that only last as long as the spells duration, end. You may use this ability a number of times equal your int modifier ( minimum 1) per long rest.

Strings across the Loom:

Starting at 14th level, you know the weave inside and out, you have learned how each pluck and tug of the weave causes certain effects, and as a full action, you may expend three spell slots to cast a spell from any spell list of the same level. Spells cast like this are considered Wizard spells nonetheless. For example, you can expend 3 first level slots to cast animal friendship.

JNAProductions
2017-10-12, 05:55 PM
Spellweave might be broken. I cannot, off-hand, think of any borked combos, but I am VERY hesitant to hand out two Concentration spells at once, especially at 6th level!

Actually, just thought of one-double summons. That's borked.

I think this is a good archetype, IF Spellweave cannot increase your max concentration.

Evorox
2017-10-12, 06:35 PM
Spellweave might be broken. I cannot, off-hand, think of any borked combos, but I am VERY hesitant to hand out two Concentration spells at once, especially at 6th level!

Actually, just thought of one-double summons. That's borked.

I think this is a good archetype, IF Spellweave cannot increase your max concentration.

nice! I did not think of double summons, what If I try stating that only one of the two spells can be concentration, but they can still have different durations, this way I avoid that double summoning, which would in fact, be horrid for any DM to deal with, but with only one concentration, you could still weave things like mage armour and enhance ability

thank you for your input, it is much apreciated

Honest Tiefling
2017-10-12, 07:16 PM
Spellweave is really powerful. I am not sure if you intend for this to even be balanced with the other classes, so is this meant for a wizard-only game, or what sort of situation exactly?

Also, it doesn't say it has to be a DIFFERENT spell, so why can't I have two Black Tentacle spells running at the same time for double the tentacle fun? I am a little confused as it seems you can do both at the same time?

Evorox
2017-10-12, 08:02 PM
Spellweave is really powerful. I am not sure if you intend for this to even be balanced with the other classes, so is this meant for a wizard-only game, or what sort of situation exactly?

Also, it doesn't say it has to be a DIFFERENT spell, so why can't I have two Black Tentacle spells running at the same time for double the tentacle fun? I am a little confused as it seems you can do both at the same time?

cool, so, would you suggest I scrap it entirely, add something else there, or restrict spell weave so that it MUST contain different spells, because I Agree, It is pretty powerful as of now (hence why I need feedback)

yes, I do intend for this archetype to give the wizard more power than the other archtypes, as I see it, the base archtypes are too weak for the class, they make the wizard subpar to other classes, the fighter can negate all damage with a parry, or add a lot of damage to a reaction attack with a riposte, the cleric can heal your butt off if they choose life, and the monk can launch people 30 ft back at will. I do not intend for this homebrew to overpower the wizard, I merely wish to make the wizard viable, give the wizard some kind of control both in and out of the battlefield.