PDA

View Full Version : Player Help armored monk in pathfinder?

Ryabede
2017-10-12, 10:29 PM
wanted to use 3.5 argent fist to allow a monk to use heavy armor as a flavor mechanic but the DM told me to stay to pathfinder for an upcoming game. Any ideas as to still be able to use some/all monk abilities while armored?

Psyren
2017-10-13, 01:14 AM
Not really. The best you can probably do is light armor as a Brawler or Sohei Monk.

Alternatively, you can be a Paladin that punches things (Champion of Irori or Iroran Paladin), but they don't get to wear heavy armor either.

Rynjin
2017-10-13, 02:02 AM
For Monk? No. For other classes that can use Unarmed Strikes effectively? Sure.

There's the Brawler archetype Fighter, Avenger Vigilantes with the Fist of the Avenger Talent, the Bloody-Knuckled Rowdy archetype Bloodrager (for a Medium armor variant), and a Warpriest who worships Irori (I suggest the Arsenal Chaplain archetype). Just invest in enough Dex with any of the above to qualify for Two-Weapon Fighting (or, if 3rd party is allowed, take Dreamscarred Press' Prodigious Two-Weapon Fighting...and add the Steelfist Commando archetyped Warlord to the list of classes)

Your options expand slightly as far as build intensity (you need less Feats and save more cash) if you use a Gauntlet or Caestus rather than a pure Unarmed Strike, which I recommend.

Also if heavier armor specifically is not the only desire, the Monk DOES have the Sohei archetype which allows light armor, and the Brawler does exist (and a dip in Fighter would let you wear heavy armor as the Brawler regardless, mind you, so it's probably the best option if you're not looking to go 1-20 in a single class).

I would consider using the Outslug Style Feat line if you go Gauntlet/Caestus, and Pummeling Style if you go Unarmed Strike.

Is there any specific class ability you're attached to from Monk? Going from there I can throw out more tailored options that might have an equivalent to, say, Diamond Body if the immunities are what you're looking for.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-10-13, 06:24 PM
Faceless Enforcer Avenger Vigilante with Fist of the Avenger gets heavy armor (that they can put on solo), improved unarmed damage, and some other cool tricks