PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help Can you hook up a PS3 to a Desktop to access the internet via it?

Togath
2017-10-13, 01:12 AM
So my only ps3 is an original 20gb model(since I wanted a backwards compatible one for reasons), and lately I've been wondering... could I hook it up to my desktop somehow to grant it internet access? The modem/router is not anywhere near my TV/Desk setups, and this model by default had no innate wifi access(is there some part I could buy that would let it do that? I've also wondered if upping it's memory is a thing.)

Alent
2017-10-13, 02:09 AM
Upping memory I'll leave to someone else, but if you have an unused ethernet port on your desktop I see no reason why you couldn't just run an ethernet cable between your desktop and PS3, then use internet connection sharing in windows.

Network and Sharing center -> Manage network adaptors -> rightclick your network connection (I'm guessing wifi) -> properties -> Sharing Tab -> Share this connection.

You might need to select which network you're sharing to, but if so that should be fairly self explanatory from this point.

Anymage
2017-10-13, 03:46 AM
You'd probably be better off googling on your own. I know that in principle it's possible to swap out the hard drive of a system for a bigger one, but in practice I don't know how accessible Sony made the drive. If the drive is accessible, though, I can tell you that swapping out hard drives is a cinch.

And while Alent's point stands if your PS3 happens to be near your computer, you might want to look into a wireless bridge. It's a wifi enabled box that allows you to plug in cables for stuff that doesn't have innate wifi capability. You can turn your computer into a bridge, but the boxes are smaller and cheaper if you don't have any handy computers nearby.

Hunter Noventa
2017-10-13, 07:38 AM
You'd probably be better off googling on your own. I know that in principle it's possible to swap out the hard drive of a system for a bigger one, but in practice I don't know how accessible Sony made the drive. If the drive is accessible, though, I can tell you that swapping out hard drives is a cinch.

This is correct, the Hard Drive is an easy swap, but if you have any saved games on it, back them up to a usb stick first, or you'll lose them.

Gnoman
2017-10-13, 03:26 PM
PS3s use a standard laptop SATA hard drive. The maximum capacity is somewhere between 1 and 2 TB, but anything over 1TB is pretty chancy.

Togath
2017-10-13, 03:31 PM
My current ps3 has a usable space of about 10-15gb, so any increase would be useful. As for the internet thing... I'll try the ethernet port thingy first. I think I have a spare cable somewhere, and my only computer monitor is also my only tv, so my ps3 HAS to be adjacent to my desktop.:smallsmile: