PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Rowing a boat, ideas and advice for possible challenges? (Khutef, stay away, thx!)

Arkhios
2017-10-13, 02:21 AM
So, I will have my players to cross a bay with a row boat soon. It'll happen during night because of reasons, and there'll be a small storm brewing. Nothing too dramatic, just to make the small treck challenging and memorable.

I'm looking for ideas as to what kind of challenges I should have them overcome on their journey through a bay to their destination on an old island fort/lighthouse of sorts. What they'll do at the destination is pretty much all set, but the way there and back is still a bit unclear.

I was thinking probably some strength checks to row the boat, maybe some dexterity checks for staying in boat in case of a crashing wave rocking the boat, or maybe some saving throws, but I'm uncertain which would be best.

So, any help would be appreciated, my fellow giants!

TIA!

Quoxis
2017-10-13, 03:09 AM
Add a goose, a bag of corn and a fox that the players need to transport, but the boat can only carry two items/animals at a time. :smallbiggrin:

Important: vehicles (water) is a tool proficiency that exists in the base game, and if someone has it it should be easier for them.

I'm no sailor, but depending on the boats size you can have 1-4 people rowing - if only 1-2 pcs do that, give the others something to do as well (perception checks to navigate, for example), or throw in a minor monster they have to engage with while the others are rowing (most likely the strongest party member will naturally take an oar, so they might not be able to engage in combat).

sithlordnergal
2017-10-13, 03:15 AM
Is the river choppy? Does it have a fast current that could sweep the boat down river a bit if they aren't careful? There could be rocks that are difficult to see and navigate past, and if they run into said rocks a hole could open in the bottom of the boat. Now you have a challenge that requires a person to keep a loon out, a navigator, a good rower, and if a hole is opened, someone who can work to keep the boat afloat.

Arkhios
2017-10-13, 07:56 AM
Is the river choppy? Does it have a fast current that could sweep the boat down river a bit if they aren't careful? There could be rocks that are difficult to see and navigate past, and if they run into said rocks a hole could open in the bottom of the boat. Now you have a challenge that requires a person to keep a loon out, a navigator, a good rower, and if a hole is opened, someone who can work to keep the boat afloat.

Bay. Not river.

tieren
2017-10-13, 08:08 AM
Some kind of flying creature that some PCs could engage while the melee row could be an interesting change of pace from normal combat (assuming normally the melee take a large role).

Depending on the conditions I think periodic Con saves would be appropriate, maybe taking a level of exhaustion on 2 or 3 fails (give them a chance to swap out rowers if one is getting tired).

If there is a strong tidal flow or current strength checks to see if they get where they intended could work, maybe skip this if you have someone proficient in sailing/maritime vehicles/navigation.

Aett_Thorn
2017-10-13, 09:14 AM
Give them some unusual, but benign, activity in the water. Do they stop and explore it, or do they press on? Something like a perception check to notice 'something' following you (turns out to just be a pod of dolphins or something). Or the water begins to turn a bright green, but it's really nothing more than bio-luminescence. Just something that could make them spend time/resources on to figure out.

Is the bay heavily trafficked? If they are crossing at night during a small storm in a row boat, there is a potential that a larger boat doesn't see them, and they need to scramble to get out of the way or figure out a way to alert the larger boat to their presence.

You say that they are heading to a lighthouse. What if there was a pack of will-o-wisps that tries to mimic the lighthouse and lead the players off course and out into the ocean or onto some rocks?

One of the players swears they saw a mermaid. None of the other characters believe them, and claim that it's ocean madness (which is no excuse for ocean rudeness).

There's a leek in the boat! Also, some onions and potatoes.

Arkhios
2017-10-13, 01:04 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The boat trip is not supposed to be the main "quest" of the session. The main "quest" is at their destination, on the island at the other side of the bay.

The premise is that it happens during night, and there's storm brewing, and they have to do this now, not tomorrow nor next week.
In other words, it's almost pitch-black darkness as the clouds gathering are blocking the star/moon light, they have a narrow time frame to get in, do what they are about to do, and to get out.

The bay has some traffic at day, but little to none at night, so there shouldn't be trouble from that department.

All I really want is to make the relatively short journey across the bay feel meaningful, not something that just happens behind the curtains so that players get from point A to point B.
Without experience in how to handle surges, they have to improvise and rely on their instincts. There's supposed to be some risks, but nothing too severe. My intent is not to kill, only to frighten.

smcmike
2017-10-13, 01:22 PM
If all you want to do is model the difficult process of rowing on a dark night in a storm, that’s tough. While this is a terrifying scenario in real life, there isn’t much to grab onto in the game. I would be worried that this might turn into a series of arbitrary-feeling rolls, or, lacking rolls, a bland cutscene. If you have the skills to pull it off, though, it could be a good way to set the scene, particularly if the scene you want to set includes soak, bedraggled and exhausted characters.

Speaking of which, the challenge needs stakes. What’s the bad stuff that can happen on this trip?

- they might get lost. It’s a dark and stormy night. Getting lost means rowing for longer than they planned. That means exhaustion levels.
- someone might fall overboard. Getting them back might be tricky, and a long time in the water means exhaustion.
- the whole boat might capsize. Flipping a boat back over, or swimming it to shore, are both major undertakings. Also, this will almost certainly cause loss of gear.
- they might drown. Saddest TPK ever.

Arkhios
2017-10-13, 01:43 PM
If all you want to do is model the difficult process of rowing on a dark night in a storm, that’s tough. While this is a terrifying scenario in real life, there isn’t much to grab onto in the game. I would be worried that this might turn into a series of arbitrary-feeling rolls, or, lacking rolls, a bland cutscene. If you have the skills to pull it off, though, it could be a good way to set the scene, particularly if the scene you want to set includes soak, bedraggled and exhausted characters.

Speaking of which, the challenge needs stakes. What’s the bad stuff that can happen on this trip?

- they might get lost. It’s a dark and stormy night. Getting lost means rowing for longer than they planned. That means exhaustion levels.
- someone might fall overboard. Getting them back might be tricky, and a long time in the water means exhaustion.
- the whole boat might capsize. Flipping a boat back over, or swimming it to shore, are both major undertakings. Also, this will almost certainly cause loss of gear.
- they might drown. Saddest TPK ever.

Yeah, I'm aware of the possible pit-falls, and I'll try to keep the rolls to the minimum, only when it matters.
The group has one who technically knows the way, though he doesn't have appropriate vehicle proficiency, so all he should be able to do to aid others is to provide general direction.
Getting lost might not be an issue though. The destination isn't abandoned. There are people living in there, and likely some lights to guide them towards the island. But the rising waves might cause other problems, indeed. Falling overboard is one thing I think will be relevant risk, though it'll probably be only a slim chance. Falling aboard might cause loss of gear or gear being damaged otherwise (such as spell components getting wet, which might cause surprises when used afterwards).

I believe that's all there's going to be actually.
One, or maybe two consecutive surges that might push someone overboard, if taken by surprise. I think I'll allow a perception or insight check to get ready for upcoming hit, and then, depending on the perception/insight check's result, the characters might have advantage on their save against falling. The others can help the fallen ally to get back onboard, and the journey can continue.

Breashios
2017-10-13, 03:35 PM
Personally, I'd enjoy a good description of the peril and challenge (maybe you roll for effect behind a screen), then we arrive safely.

A couple of skill checks if a character has appropriate skills would be nice, especially if it is a character that does not usually have the spotlight, so you can say they were critical in getting the heroes to their destination safely. (To make that player feel their character creation choices were useful.)

If you do think of a difficult test you'd like to give them, it is better usually to keep it for the way out. Maybe their treasure sinks to the bottom of the bay if they fail the challenge.

BeefGood
2017-10-13, 07:05 PM
Here’s what you want: Ghost Ship. A mysterious abandoned ship drifts across their path. You put a little something interesting in the ship, just for interest now, but the main thing is that the ship will serve some plot device later in the campaign.
For skill checks they have to jump from their boat into the ship. They can explore it and hopefully not fall through the hole in the deck. But if a character does fall through the hole in the deck, in addition to taking 1 or 2d6 damage, he will land right next to the interesting thing, a piece of scrimshaw or something. Later in the campaign the characters will realize that the scrimshaw design, featuring an aboleth or a kraken, is actually a depiction of a particular and feared creature, and also contains enough detail to track that creature back to its lair.
How’s that?

Desteplo
2017-10-13, 11:50 PM
They can find something shiny glimmering in the water and if they choose to pursue it, it could be a Merfolk trap. They get a pearl or whatever that leads to another quest

-if you are looking for a shorter solution than a combat then have some flying creatures create a thunder damage scenario that almost chips away at the boat for damage or a big monster swim by then and maybe topple the boat or potentially have rolls to avoid the topple
-I like to use shadow or ash as a visual. So those flying creatures could be screeching causing chips of the boat to fly off like ash, flowing in the wind. The boat catches fire but instead of the burning red it's just a blazing shadow that's surrounding the boat.
-make an illusion so it only affects the way their and not the way back
-maybe they have to abandon the boat on the way and it washes ashore for the way back

lunaticfringe
2017-10-14, 12:42 AM
If it's choppy and a small boat roll for sea sickness. I've seen people who claim to never get sea sick yak their guts out on stormy waters.

Treat it like the Poisoned condition maybe. Fix it with an herbalism kit, medicine check, short rest (on land of course), Lesser Resto, etc . Burn them resources my pretties!

Arkhios
2017-10-14, 01:42 AM
If it's choppy and a small boat roll for sea sickness. I've seen people who claim to never get sea sick yak their guts out on stormy waters.

Treat it like the Poisoned condition maybe. Fix it with an herbalism kit, medicine check, short rest (on land of course), Lesser Resto, etc . Burn them resources my pretties!

OH, that's a good one! I know from personal experience that sea sickness is a real thing that can strike anyone. I have somewhat strong stomach for motion sickness, but on my first trip on a sailboat this autumn I really had to fight against the feeling. Fortunately, I managed to not get that sick, but it was certainly sea sickness that threatened me.

hymer
2017-10-14, 02:19 AM
Personally, I'd enjoy a good description of the peril and challenge (maybe you roll for effect behind a screen), then we arrive safely.

Apart from the 'rolling for effect', this is exactly what I'd suggest. You know how you want it to end, so you may as well just go for a dramatical description rather than rolling. If you do want some rolling, maybe roll for who is the most useful in doing the rowing and especially the navigation (which seems to me to be the major headache, unless the island has a lighthouse or something). And maybe roll for that seasickness. Maybe a level of exhaustion for the first encounter on the island if it's failed, or maybe it's just the embarressment you're checking for. And just how bad is it? Who just got a little queasy, and who threw up by failing the check by 5 or more?

OH, that's a good one! I know from personal experience that sea sickness is a real thing that can strike anyone. I have somewhat strong stomach for motion sickness, but on my first trip on a sailboat this autumn I really had to fight against the feeling. Fortunately, I managed to not get that sick, but it was certainly sea sickness that threatened me.

If it's pretty dark, seasickness isn't so much of a problem. That is caused by the eye and the inner ear giving conflicting information about what's up and down. If it's dark, the eyes won't give nearly as much information. They culd use some light, of course, but that has its own problems with being seen from a long way away, and loss of nightvision making it impossible to see very far.
I'd say the real problem is stark terror. Being in a small craft, oar-powered, with a storm brewing, in the dark? Some people get scared in forests at night, but forests are natural environments to us. Going out on the sea, on the other hand... And there's nothing irrational about being extremely frightened of doing that, by the way.

Arkhios
2017-10-14, 02:50 AM
Apart from the 'rolling for effect', this is exactly what I'd suggest. You know how you want it to end, so you may as well just go for a dramatical description rather than rolling. If you do want some rolling, maybe roll for who is the most useful in doing the rowing and especially the navigation (which seems to me to be the major headache, unless the island has a lighthouse or something). And maybe roll for that seasickness. Maybe a level of exhaustion for the first encounter on the island if it's failed, or maybe it's just the embarressment you're checking for. And just how bad is it? Who just got a little queasy, and who threw up by failing the check by 5 or more?
Yeah, I was thinking I would involve the group's brawny character with the rolls, mostly, because the rest of the adventure is all about stealth and things like that, while he's got a heavy armor and poor dexterity. Plus, proficiency in athletics, which I'll let him to substitute for rowing the boat.
The rest of the group will have to roll against being knocked prone, with a slim chance of falling overboard, and for seasickness when they get knocked prone. Poisoned condition is quite enough for a hindrance for the rest of the adventure, unless they figure it out and rest for an hour, settling their stomachs etc.
Other than that, I've prepare some appropriate theme music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsD5u6k6dKI) for them to listen on loop while they're at it, to enforce the athmosphere.

If it's pretty dark, seasickness isn't so much of a problem. That is caused by the eye and the inner ear giving conflicting information about what's up and down. If it's dark, the eyes won't give nearly as much information. They culd use some light, of course, but that has its own problems with being seen from a long way away, and loss of nightvision making it impossible to see very far.
I'd say the real problem is stark terror. Being in a small craft, oar-powered, with a storm brewing, in the dark? Some people get scared in forests at night, but forests are natural environments to us. Going out on the sea, on the other hand... And there's nothing irrational about being extremely frightened of doing that, by the way.

It's not pitch black until they're about half-way there, but it's getting darker by the hour. Seasickness isn't much of a problem at sea, sure, but if they get sick, poisoned condition lasts for 1 hour, which is a problem even when they reach the island, because it bestows disadvantage on multiple rolls.

Contrast
2017-10-14, 06:01 AM

This is the most importantly advice I'd say. I once had a DM arrange a dungeon layout so we'd have to jump over a pit to exit as the dungeon collapsed behind us. He meant for it to be an exciting finale but he didn't seem to have considered what would happen if someone failed. I promptly failed the jump so I got another test to hang onto the edge which I also failed, then another to let me catch something on the way down which I finally passed so then I got snagged on something. Then I needed two passed tests in a row to climb up and a failure slid me back down. Queue about 10 rolls before I managed to climb out which was farcical more than dramatic. Would have been a very anticlimatic death and the DM clearly knew that but hadn't planned for it ahead of time so floundered in the face of poor luck.

If you're not willing to kill the players, have a clear consequence in mind for failure/don't make them roll again.

If someone falls off the boat and you aren't prepared to have them drowning be a realistic concern, have an alternative planned or don't make them roll to get back on the boat.

The simplest way to introduce stakes if you want the main focus/encounters of the session to be on the island is a time pressure. Tides mean they need to be there/leave by a certain time or whatever they're doing on the island is time sensitive for some reason and they might get lost or tire themselves out rowing to get there. Failure means they arrive just in the nick of time but don't have time to be stealthy/plan/whatever. Another option might be damaging the boat/losing oars so in addition to whatever else they were doing on the island they now also need to find an alternate route back.

I'd honestly suggest that your best bet is to just narrate the scene heavily. Make them roll dice once or twice to give you a flavour of how to narrate the scene, i.e. 'you barely managed to keep the vessel under control as it bucks in the roiling water' on a success vs 'several times the vessel lurches out of your control and you're swept along at the oceans whim before you manage to regain control' on a failure.