PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Fightin' Wizard.

Finback
2017-10-13, 02:52 AM
So, I've got this slightly mad concept, based on a character I was working up in 4e before my group collapsed.

Basically, a wizard who is trained in brawling, and enchants themselves to make them more combat-powered - eg spells to boost their strength, things like Belts of Ogre Strength*, and then enchants their fists with fire. So, a blazing fist pummeler.

What's the best path? Start in Wizard, and go Enchantment? Fighter, or Monk? I think that second choice is more race specific -especially since the Fighter doesn't really *have* a brawler build. Monk would be better for that, but then, I'm tempted to make the new incarnation a minotaur because, well, as I said. Slightly Mad.

I'm also toying with giving him some sort of weapon like a ... oh gods, I can't think of the name. Basically a mailed fist with a big spike on it. Not a maul, that's a hammer. And it's not a glaive, that's either a polearm or a throwing weapon. I'm sure it starts with 'g' though.

So basically, punchy punchy slightly mad and on fire wizard who likes getting in the front line.

Thoughts?

* it's got a +9 against ogres!

djreynolds
2017-10-13, 03:09 AM
So, I've got this slightly mad concept, based on a character I was working up in 4e before my group collapsed.

Basically, a wizard who is trained in brawling, and enchants themselves to make them more combat-powered - eg spells to boost their strength, things like Belts of Ogre Strength*, and then enchants their fists with fire. So, a blazing fist pummeler.

What's the best path? Start in Wizard, and go Enchantment? Fighter, or Monk? I think that second choice is more race specific -especially since the Fighter doesn't really *have* a brawler build. Monk would be better for that, but then, I'm tempted to make the new incarnation a minotaur because, well, as I said. Slightly Mad.

I'm also toying with giving him some sort of weapon like a ... oh gods, I can't think of the name. Basically a mailed fist with a big spike on it. Not a maul, that's a hammer. And it's not a glaive, that's either a polearm or a throwing weapon. I'm sure it starts with 'g' though.

So basically, punchy punchy slightly mad and on fire wizard who likes getting in the front line.

Thoughts?

* it's got a +9 against ogres!

Depending on the levels, etc.

I think if you could squeeze in 6 of tempest cleric it would be cool

You can grab the class whenever and get its 1st level proficiency, heavy armor

But its 6th level ability, thunderbolt strike could be cool coupled with shocking grasp.

14th level wizard/ 6 tempest cleric.

If you grabbed dwarf you do not need strength to wear heavy armor and shocking grasp is based of off intelligence to strike. So you could have a high intelligence, good con, and respectable wisdom.

Lombra
2017-10-13, 03:16 AM
Fighter/lore bard is good because you get lots of buff spells and searing smite which is what you should use to set your fists ablaze. Sadly self-buff stacking isn't a thing in this edition due to the limits of concentration.

Paradoxally, hex would be the best concentration spell, you deal extra damage and can give disadvantage to athletics checks to help you brawl.

Citan
2017-10-13, 06:07 AM

Thoughts?

Well the easiest way to do what you want as far as fire punches are concerned is...
1. Ask your DM to allow some knuckles, so you have the "punchy" feeling while still having equipment that qualifies for weapon-enchanting spells, and grab Elemental Weapon by going Bard 6 or Paladin 9.

2. Otherwise, the only way is basically going 4E Monk that has exactly the built-in ability you want, which is "Fangs of the Fire Snake".

As for the "wizardry" feeling, well, if you are set on being a Wizard, then Wizard it is... Otherwise, I'd pick the caster that bests fits your chosen martial chassis, or go either pure Valor Bard (Elemental Weapon at level 10) or Dex Paladin with Magic Initiate: Sorcerer (cantrips and Mage Armor, since my understanding is that you want a lightly armored or unarmored character).

My prime suggestion for you would be indeed 4E Monk with some dip into Cleric and/or Druid to get spell buffs. if you don't care that much about offensive spells and Stunning Strike, you could make Grassland Druid 5+ / Cleric 1 / Monk X (starting with Cleric for armor proficiency and WIS saves): pick Resilient: Constitution, bump DEX without worrying about WIS, use your Ki on Fangs and Dodge, at higher level cast Fly/Fireball occasionally, finally ending with Wall of Fire through Druid 7 if you so wish (make your own brawling arena, punishing whoever among you or your foe that would dare trying to flee).
The big advantage of this build is that you can space non-Monk levels in-between Monk progression (like Monk 1 > Life Cleric 1 > Druid 1 > Monk 6 > Druid 2 > Monk 8 > Druid 3 > Monk 10 > etc) so you can feel your concept online early enough (although Extra Attack is obviously delayed).

Another way would be EK 11 / Lore Bard 6: probably the best in the long run, but would come online awfully late (Fighter 5 > Lore Bard 6 > back Fighter).

OR, last way, although costly, would be to just go Paladin / Warlock with Tavern Brawler to spam Branding Smite early levels so you can wait until you get Elemental Weapon.
Technically you could even go Bladesinger Wizard (although it does restrict you on race unless DM fiat) to pair with that, just grab Tavern Brawler and you are set.

Those are "PHB only" options.
If UA is allowed, any martial barring Barbarian with 5 levels of Warlock are the shortest and best way, granting you Elemental Weapon twice per short rest.

djreynolds
2017-10-13, 07:28 AM
Hey Citan, can he fluff flaming sword from druid. Its only 1 attack but...

clash
2017-10-13, 09:11 AM
Maybe Storm herald barbarian taking the desert options http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Barbarian.pdf

Citan
2017-10-13, 10:30 AM
Hey Citan, can he fluff flaming sword from druid. Its only 1 attack but...
Hey, excellent idea. :)
It's sadly not a great spell but fluff-wise it's very fitting (just make it a fist instead of sword)...

I'd go as far as asking the DM for a bit of houserule on this one even to make it worth the cast, because it's a bit limited as is... Maybe just making the attack as bonus action would be enough.

Maybe Storm herald barbarian taking the desert options http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Barbarian.pdf
Another great suggestion. Did take a quick look at it, indeed the auto fire damage would give a proper Balrogish feeling...

Either of your suggestions would be much easier to mix with a martial and very satisfying imo, like...
Druid 3 / Monk 5 then whatever (I'd still go Druid 5 somewhere in the middle to get more slots for Flame Blade but that's just me)...
Or Barb 4 / Monk 5 then whatever... Probably the best if UA is allowed. Barring that, totally forgot about the "wizardry" part.
Then if UA allowed, Barb 5+ / Fiend Warlock 7: Fire Shield + Desert Barb features. Easy enough to build, easy enough to play (Fire Shield is no concentration so no problem with rage).

Dang, now I want to play OP concept too ^^.

AmmunRa
2017-10-13, 12:38 PM
I've been doing a concept very close to this, but instead of wizard, I went sorcerer. Specifically, I went stone sorcerer from the sorcerer ua. I threw everything into strength and con, and use things like enhance ability for pro grappling, and the smites for damage, which can be boosted from your meta magic.

Zehinoc
2017-10-15, 08:26 PM
Another idea may be to take rogue, for the expertise in athletics.

Deleted
2017-10-15, 08:53 PM
Another idea may be to take rogue, for the expertise in athletics.

Ah Rogue, the answer to all your Fighter needs.

wilhelmdubdub
2017-10-15, 11:30 PM
Investiture of Flame would be so good for this but its a 6th.

Honest Tiefling
2017-10-15, 11:39 PM

Looking online, we have...

Gauntlet Axe
Gouge
Gythka

Any of those jogging your memory?

Also, I vaguely remember a wizard-y minotaur race from Ptolus, a setting for third edition. Regardless, it might be a good source for some ideas.

Willie the Duck
2017-10-16, 08:18 AM
How effective on the front-line does that punchy-punchy have to be? A mountain dwarf abjurer or evoker with the brawler feat gets the 'feel' of this guy down in my mind, with the least investment. Otherwise it all depends on what you can sacrifice for the feel. Does it have to be wizard, does it have to be fire, and does it have to be fists? If yes on fists, then monk (who does damage with fists) or rogue or maybe paladin (for whom the weapon damage is of lowest contribution towards damage total) are good bets. Red/gold dragon sorcadin seems like a vaguely thematically consistent character, and is powerful enough to maybe handle the lessoned damage that punching could do.

wilhelmdubdub
2017-10-16, 06:03 PM
the war wizard is coming out in Xanathar's this should help