PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Eldritch-Knight-ready, undead-themed fey PC race

rferries
2017-10-13, 08:56 AM
https://i.imgur.com/L4nXDe3.jpg?1

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/daily/stf/ewdfghjmfklsdhfdjfd.jpg

Moonfolk

Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution. Moonfolk are graceful and ethereal, sometimes to the point of frailty.

Size: Moonfolk are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Type: Moonfolk are fey creatures.

Speed: Moonfolk have a base speed of 30 feet.

Black Magic Affinity (Ex): A Moonfolk casts enchantment spells, necromancy spells and spells with the [Darkness] or [Evil] descriptors at caster level +1.

Low-Light Vision (Ex): A Moonfolk has low-light vision.

Martial Proficiencies (Ex): A Moonfolk is proficient with all all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields). A Moonfolk ignores the arcane spell failure from wearing light armour.

Spells (Ex): A Moonfolk casts spells as a 6th-level sorcerer.

Undead Empathy (Su): This power works like the druid’s wild empathy class feature, except that a Moonfolk has a +6 racial bonus on the check and may only use it to influence mindless undead. A Moonfolk also gains a +6 racial bonus on Diplomacy checks against intelligent undead.

Racial Hit Dice: A Moonfolk begins with six levels of fey, which provides 6d6 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +2, Ref +5, and Will +5.

Racial Skills: A Moonfolk’s fey levels give it skill points equal to 9 × (6 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Balance, Concentration, Climb, Craft (alchemy), Decipher Script, Escape Artist, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (the planes), Move Silently, Ride, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Swim, Tumble, and Use Magic Device.

Racial Feats: A Moonfolk’s fey levels give it three feats.

Languages: Moonfolk begin play speaking Common and Undercommon. Moonfolk with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Infernal, and Sylvan.

Favoured Class: Sorcerer.

Level Adjustment: +1

Racial Feats
Fey Armour
Like the fey of the wilderness, you fear only the touch of cold iron.

Prerequisites
Fey type, character level 2nd.

Benefits
You gain damage reduction/cold iron equal to one-half your character level. This damage reduction stacks with any other damage reduction you possess, provided that damage reduction is overcome by cold iron.

Special
A fighter may select Fey Armour as one of his bonus fighter feats.

Martial Moonfolk
You have trained to use your spells even while clad in armour.

Prerequisites
Moonfolk, Battle Caster.

Benefits
While wearing armor or using a shield with which you are proficient, you can cast arcane spells without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance.

Special
A fighter may select Martial Moonfolk as one of his bonus fighter feats.

Unearthly Grace
You are as graceful as any fey.

Prerequisites
Fey type, Cha 12.

Benefits
You gain the unearthly grace special quality, as a nymph. Add your Charisma modifier as an untyped bonus to all your saving throws and as a deflection bonus to your Armour Class.

Westhart
2017-10-13, 09:32 AM
Well, whenever I get back to my old game this will be one of the characters I introduce now... along with an elf and a pair of Dvati assassin's... if the DM allows the homebrew & all that is...

I would give them a bonus on diplomacy/bluff checks with intelligent undead.

Martial Moonfolk: I would make this light+medium armors along with shields, then they have ti burn another feat to get heavies, (The feat in complete arcane/mage, not sure which)

rferries
2017-10-13, 05:24 PM
Well, whenever I get back to my old game this will be one of the characters I introduce now... along with an elf and a pair of Dvati assassin's... if the DM allows the homebrew & all that is...

I would give them a bonus on diplomacy/bluff checks with intelligent undead.

Martial Moonfolk: I would make this light+medium armors along with shields, then they have ti burn another feat to get heavies, (The feat in complete arcane/mage, not sure which)

Added diplomacy bonus, and rearranged armour stuff - they can now automatically use light armour without ASF, then have to take Battle Caster (thanks for the tip!) before the final Martial Moonfolk ability.

Westhart
2017-10-13, 06:04 PM
Added diplomacy bonus, and rearranged armour stuff - they can now automatically use light armour without ASF, then have to take Battle Caster (thanks for the tip!) before the final Martial Moonfolk ability.

Yes, that was the feat! :smallbiggrin:

These look wonderful, and I would love to play regardless of racial HD.

Aniikinis
2017-10-15, 09:28 AM
I'm not going to lie, I read that normally and almost had a heart attack when I got to the spellcasting. "WHAT?! How high is the L- +1 LA FOR THAT AT LEVEL ON-oh.... Racial Hit Dice.... Gotcha." I then continued to read it and saw it was extremely balanced compared to my freak out. :smallredface:

Westhart
2017-10-15, 09:29 AM
I'm not going to lie, I read that normally and almost had a heart attack when I got to the spellcasting. "WHAT?! How high is the L- +1 LA FOR THAT AT LEVEL ON-oh.... Racial Hit Dice.... Gotcha." I then continued to read it and saw it was extremely balanced compared to my freak out. :smallredface:

Rest assured, your not the only one :smallsmile:

rferries
2017-10-15, 07:36 PM
Yeah, perhaps I should have rearranged the order - or posted it as a monster stat-block.

Westhart
2017-10-16, 07:27 AM
Yeah, perhaps I should have rearranged the order - or posted it as a monster stat-block.

Nah, its good makes sure you read it thoroughly :smallwink:

Greenflame133
2017-10-26, 11:20 AM
I think they are sort of cool and I will allow them in may camping but here are thinks that I would need to know (to properly build them into world)
> what are they ranges for, age, height and weight?
> what role do they play in society/world?

Westhart
2017-10-26, 11:26 AM
I think they are sort of cool and I will allow them in may camping but here are thinks that I would need to know (to properly build them into world)

They are fey... so around the smae as what you would give a nymph etc

Wouldn't that depend on world? :smallconfused: I mean ebberon they might work for the one kingdom (where the bone knight is from) but in another they may be the lords of Tol-darth, masters of the secrest of death, and through this mastery of life...

Greenflame133
2017-10-26, 11:35 AM
They are fey... so around the smae as what you would give a nymph etc

Wouldn't that depend on world? :smallconfused: I mean ebberon they might work for the one kingdom (where the bone knight is from) but in another they may be the lords of Tol-darth, masters of the secrest of death, and through this mastery of life...

elfs don't age as human yet they both are humanoids, that's why I need to know and as nymph helps

yes it dose, yet books often include thing. For example MM page 32 Centaur Sosciaty this help. Something like stereotypes that tend to form around them

rferries
2017-10-29, 09:37 AM

As NothingAbnormal says, you can refluff them for a particular world. If it helps they're loosely based off of Elric (Michael Moorcock classic fantasy antihero) and his culture of decadent sorcerers.

Goaty14
2017-10-29, 10:28 PM
wouldn't this be horribly awesome for a sorcerer? Lose 1 level of casting & you can cast in heavy armor...

Also why do you get skills x9, shouldn't it be x6 or x7?

rferries
2017-10-30, 05:16 AM
wouldn't this be horribly awesome for a sorcerer? Lose 1 level of casting & you can cast in heavy armor...

Also why do you get skills x9, shouldn't it be x6 or x7?

LA hurts sorcerers even more than other casters as they're already a spell level "behind"; I agree this race is powerful but I'm not sure it's worth LA+2. Compare also the Battle Sorcerer variant. Finally, you have to invest your precious feats to get the full benefits, and casting in armour really isn't overpowered (it's just one of those traditions, like wizards not having healing magic), e.g. compare bracers of armour.

6 points per HD +3 at first level = 9

Westhart
2017-10-30, 09:04 AM
I agree with rferries, and wouldn't play (no offense meant, just the power level I play at most the time) it with LA +2. Besides you are losing 2 feats, meanwhile abjurant champion is just kinda rocking out with a solid +13 to AC with no otherr boosts just from greater luminous armor (spell in BoED) and their +5 from class.

It's fine in my opinion (In fact, I think you could probably drop the LA altogether), and now I'm trying to use it in 2 games :smalltongue:. I'll leave feedback on how it played if I get in them :smallsmile:.