PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Cybertech and Constructs interaction

EldritchWeaver
2017-10-13, 08:59 AM
Cybertech (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/cybertech/) introduces implants. Implants have some requirements:

Each piece of cybertech has an implantation value that indicates how invasive the implant is. The total combined implantation values of all cybertech implanted in a single creature can’t exceed either that creature’s Constitution score or Intelligence score—a creature’s Constitution sets the physical limit of what its body can accept in the form of cybernetic implants, while the creature’s Intelligence sets the mental limit of what its brain can control. An implants whose implantation value would cause the total to exceed either of these two scores does not function but still takes up a body slot. In addition, as long as a character has cybernetic implants installed whose combined implantation exceeds his Constitution or Intelligence, he takes a -4 penalty on all saving throws.

A creature with neither a Constitution score nor an Intelligence score cannot receive benefits from cybertech, but a creature with only one of these scores can.

Then looking at the construct type, the following rule is stated:

No Constitution score. Any DCs or other statistics that rely on a Constitution score treat a construct as having a score of 10 (no bonus or penalty).

So I'm confused how this rule is now to work with the cybertech. Before someone points out that constructs are mindless and wouldn't qualify: Firstly, some constructs have an Intelligence score. Secondly, the question still remains if constructs counts as having a Constitution score or not.

The sticking point is if cybertech is considered a statistic. If it is then even mindless constructs can benefit to to some extent. On the other hand, the cybertech rules explicitly call out the situation if someone lacks the Constitution score. I can see the argument that the "Con is treated as 10" part is only relevant if you need a Con score, but don't have one available. As there is a way without a Con score, this would have a higher priority in the rules resolution. What do you think?

Another related question: If you lack one the relevant scores, do you ignore the rule in regards exceeding the score? Or do you fall back to an effective 0 (which would make any implant to fail immediately)? Or do you use the effective 10 from the construct type in case of Constitution (which isn't available for Intelligence)?

khadgar567
2017-10-13, 09:25 AM
I dont know about the RAW answer but RAI would be no you need constitution modifier to implement cyberwere and constructs dont have constitution score so no you cant make cyber armed warforged monk you want

Psyren
2017-10-13, 09:25 AM
The statistic in question here is "number of implants my body can handle," i.e. the implant score. You would treat it as 10 for that purpose, provided you had an Intelligence to make you eligible at all. The reverse would apply if you were mindless but had constitution (e.g. vermin.) And of course, if you lack both, you get nothing [#genewilder].