PDA

View Full Version : Original System Dynamic Casting System

clash
2017-10-13, 09:43 AM
Hey guys I am trying to come up with the design of a "spell-less" casting system. My system currently uses the spell system from d&d 5e, but I am looking to change that into a more dynamic lightweight system. The idea would be you can gain mastery in certain elements or areas of magic and then you could use it the cast improvised magic on the fly. Any ideas for how to structure this or how it should work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-13, 02:14 PM
The answer is about one hundred percent dependent on what the rest of the system is like. A spellcasting system for a game like Fate is going to be totally different than one that works for something like D&D 3.5.

Also, have you looked at things like Pathfinder's Spheres of Power, Ars Magica, and Mage: The Ascension/Mage: The Awakening? Those are all crunchy systems that are in the same general neighborhood, I think.

clash
2017-10-13, 02:53 PM
Yes sorry, its most similiar to d&d 5e. Edited the original post to add that. I have looked at some of those, but I generally dont like how number crunchy they are. I want a more simple and elegant solution. Something where players can just use magic quickly on the fly without consulting and bunch of rules to calculate it.