PDA

View Full Version : Eon Sentient weapon and Scabbard Artifact Pair

Llama513
2017-10-13, 01:28 PM
I designed these items to be based around extending ones life and manipulating time in the search for knowledge, but want to make sure that they are balanced, haven't done much work with magic items of this caliber before.

Eon (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Bkp3WHVLW)
Eon's Scabbard (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByZJCequtb)

DarkKnightJin
2017-10-13, 05:40 PM
Seems okay, but limiting Eon to someone with the Sage background is needlessly restrictive. The Int of 13+ should be enough of a restriction.

Also not sure I like the "This thing WILL kill you" stuff. There should be at least a save to try and toss it before it decides to go Last Crusade on your ass.

Llama513
2017-10-14, 01:44 PM
Seems okay, but limiting Eon to someone with the Sage background is needlessly restrictive. The Int of 13+ should be enough of a restriction.

Also not sure I like the "This thing WILL kill you" stuff. There should be at least a save to try and toss it before it decides to go Last Crusade on your ass.
I can remove the sage restriction, The I will kill you thing is if you go a really long time without fulfilling its goal, there is nothing that says you can't get rid of the sword when it starts to turn on you provided you recognize what it is doing, if I made it seem like you couldn't that is my bad and I will try to clear that up

Added text stating that you can deattune and leave the sword if you figure out that the sword has turned on you, I can add a contest if you think there should be one, but I'm not sure that the sword would really care if it was left by someone who was not bringing it knowledge so I don't really see the contest as necessary

Mellack
2017-10-14, 02:48 PM
I think there is a problem with the "learn something new" part. It is literally impossible for it to go weeks without learning anything if the person is living even a normal life. It learns what the weather was each day, it learns whatever village gossip you hear in the local tavern, it learns whatever song you are whistling.

Llama513
2017-10-14, 03:10 PM
I think there is a problem with the "learn something new" part. It is literally impossible for it to go weeks without learning anything if the person is living even a normal life. It learns what the weather was each day, it learns whatever village gossip you hear in the local tavern, it learns whatever song you are whistling.

Specified that the information has to be a story or song from an ancient civilization, rituals, or some other information that will lead to sources of power whether they are arcane, divine, or what does not matter so long as it leads to sources of power

Actually now that I think about it, I should just specify that the learning of mundane facts such as those that you listed do not satisfy its desire for learning, beyond actually teaching it a new song, if that song is of cultural signifigance

Mellack
2017-10-14, 03:37 PM
I would just say that you have a clear discussion with your player on what you are going to be requiring for significant information. Many adventures have the characters piece together bits of local news and gossip to get ready for a dungeon crawl. Also anyone who has ever read Sherlock Holmes knows that no information is too insignificant. Opinions may be different and should be worked out beforehand.

Llama513
2017-10-14, 03:39 PM
I would just say that you have a clear discussion with your player on what you are going to be requiring for significant information. Many adventures have the characters piece together bits of local news and gossip to get ready for a dungeon crawl. Also anyone who has ever read Sherlock Holmes knows that no information is too insignificant. Opinions may be different and should be worked out beforehand.

That is fair, I will make the not that thanks for helping

DarkKnightJin
2017-10-15, 01:30 AM
I would argue that anything that helps the player/party continue on their quest, and therefore gain more power, should be considered 'significant' information.
And of they know it's going to be a couple of weeks before they can move and learn something new, that they should be able to tell the sword that.

Of course, I'd personally try and find some stuff for it to learn in the downtime to keep it happy anyway, but I as a person wouldn't mind staying in the know about possible sources of more power either.

I do like the idea that you can un-attune from the weapon to stay safe, if you know it's foing to be a while before you can get back on the road.

Avonar
2017-10-15, 05:59 PM
I have a lot of issues with the Scabbard. I don't know whether I'd say it's too good or too bad.

The Major Detrimental Properties can be nasty, game-breakingly nasty. Being unable to speak, being vulnerable to damage can break a character's usefulness, while the facial features rotting off is something that I can see a player just not enjoying the idea of.

On the flip side, permanent Foresight? Advantage on everything, everyone has disadvantage against you? Seems waaaaaay too powerful. I don't know how I'd recommend changing it but there are so many ways this could unbalance things.

Sirithhyando
2017-10-16, 07:04 AM
I dont think i'd put the "minimum 13 years" on the stolen time feature. You're playing with time itself, it must be dangerous.
If you die because you used it recklessly, it should be part of the risk.

Love how both item come together.

Llama513
2017-10-16, 07:03 PM
I have a lot of issues with the Scabbard. I don't know whether I'd say it's too good or too bad.

The Major Detrimental Properties can be nasty, game-breakingly nasty. Being unable to speak, being vulnerable to damage can break a character's usefulness, while the facial features rotting off is something that I can see a player just not enjoying the idea of.

On the flip side, permanent Foresight? Advantage on everything, everyone has disadvantage against you? Seems waaaaaay too powerful. I don't know how I'd recommend changing it but there are so many ways this could unbalance things.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't really think that giving a cast of foresight a day would be that much less powerful

Llama513
2017-10-16, 07:04 PM
I dont think i'd put the "minimum 13 years" on the stolen time feature. You're playing with time itself, it must be dangerous.
If you die because you used it recklessly, it should be part of the risk.

Love how both item come together.

I guess that it fair, I was pulling from the potion of longevity for its affect thus the minimum age