PDA

View Full Version : Fun character plans

Sargentpsychooo
2017-10-13, 03:51 PM
Hi guys, I need ideas for future characters.
I usually prioritize classes that are fun to play and RP.

So my question to you guys is: what class/character is the most fun to play in your opinion? (DND 3.5)

noob
2017-10-13, 03:57 PM
I wish prepared bard did exist.
Sadly it does not.
Still bard is awesome.
(according to 5e players 5e bard is even more awesome)

Nifft
2017-10-13, 04:31 PM
Fire Gnome Illusionist 5 / Child of Night 10 / Shadowcraft Mage 5 (nickname "Balrog" due to all the shadows & fire; buy off the LA +2 as soon as possible)

Loredrake Dragonwrought Kobold Binder 1 / Sorcerer 2 / Anima Mage 10 / Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7 (nickname "The Prismatic Dragon")

Changeling Rogue 3 / Incarnate 2 / Chameleon 10 / Umbral Disciple 5 (steals your nickname and face, does your job better than you did)

Human Druid 20 (nickname "Bear That Ate My Face")

noob
2017-10-13, 05:03 PM
Fire Gnome Illusionist 5 / Child of Night 10 / Shadowcraft Mage 5 (nickname "Balrog" due to all the shadows & fire; buy off the LA +2 as soon as possible)

Loredrake Dragonwrought Kobold Binder 1 / Sorcerer 2 / Anima Mage 10 / Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7 (nickname "The Prismatic Dragon")

Changeling Rogue 3 / Incarnate 2 / Chameleon 10 / Umbral Disciple 5 (steals your nickname and face, does your job better than you did)

Human Druid 20 (nickname "Bear That Ate My Face")

Child of night seems like a class that gets a progressive transformation fluff but once you finished it you are just a guy with some undead traits and shadow.
So while it might be fun to role-play the progression in that prc once you reach the end of that prc you no longer have that novelty factor and you just branch on "superpowered prc number 1452" for compensating the lost caster level.
if you start at level 15 you are better off with shadowcrafter instead of child of night(you get additional bonus to your shadow spells and it transforms you too into a shadow but more outsidery)
That sorcerer build seems like the boring regular path of "I get immunity to ever being in danger" which is not necessarily interesting to play.
Now that chameleon is interesting but the reason why it use umbral disciple is weird.(I mean it gets no chakra opening which is sad for an incarnum user and if you wanted to focus on sneak attack you could just take a bunch of base classes that gives one dice each)

Nifft
2017-10-13, 05:45 PM
Child of night seems like a class that gets a progressive transformation fluff but once you finished it you are just a guy with some undead traits and shadow.
So while it might be fun to role-play the progression in that prc once you reach the end of that prc you no longer have that novelty factor and you just branch on "superpowered prc number 1452" for compensating the lost caster level.
if you start at level 15 you are better off with shadowcrafter instead of child of night(you get additional bonus to your shadow spells and it transforms you too into a shadow but more outsidery)
That sorcerer build seems like the boring regular path of "I get immunity to ever being in danger" which is not necessarily interesting to play.
Now that chameleon is interesting but the reason why it use umbral disciple is weird.(I mean it gets no chakra opening which is sad for an incarnum user and if you wanted to focus on sneak attack you could just take a bunch of base classes that gives one dice each)

... and there you have it.

According to new evidence provided by noob, nothing fun exists, and you should just give up.

Sorry, apparently that's just how it is.

noob
2017-10-13, 05:52 PM
... and there you have it.

According to new evidence provided by noob, nothing fun exists, and you should just give up.

Sorry, apparently that's just how it is.

Well the thing is that it is not the builds themselves that make characters fun.
And I did not say that the factotum was not fun(only that taking levels in an incarnum class that only gives essentia was sad but sad stuff can be fun(there is a thing named dark humor(since your builds have shadow or dark in their classes names roughly 2/5 of the times in the sample I got...))) and I did not comment the druid.
(ps: you forgot irony is in blue)

Goaty14
2017-10-13, 06:16 PM
3 Intelligence Barbarian + Heavy Roleplay = What could possibly go wrong?

Mike Miller
2017-10-13, 06:49 PM
Well the thing is that it is not the builds themselves that make characters fun.
And I did not say that the factotum was not fun(only that taking levels in an incarnum class that only gives essentia was sad but sad stuff can be fun(there is a thing named dark humor(since your builds have shadow or dark in their classes names roughly 2/5 of the times in the sample I got...))) and I did not comment the druid.
(ps: you forgot irony is in blue)

...you didn't use color

Calthropstu
2017-10-13, 07:07 PM
Work together with another player and make beavis and butthead: the amazing int7/wis7 high charisma sorcerer and bard combo. Both focus skill ranks into perform comedy, and act in a d&d game as they do in the show. Use feats to make perform comedy applicable to almost any skill check (annoy and make such absurd situations that guards just facepalm and wave you through instead of a bluff check, make someone simply give you what you need to make you go away instead of a diplimacy check...) and obviously use spells that create fire huhuhuhuh fire.
And all spell casting must be preceded by "Hey guys, watch this..."

Nifft
2017-10-13, 07:09 PM
And I did not say that the factotum was not fun

... that's nice? There's no Factotum in any of my suggestions, though. Seriously, it'd be a lot more useful for you to add some of your own ideas, rather than just doing the forum equivalent of drive-by urination.

Anyway, moving on...

Silverbrow Human Totemist 2 / Egoist 3 / Soul Manifester 10 / Sanctified Mind 5 -- you're melee when melee rules, then you're a mixed-mode gish until metamorphosis becomes available, and then you're back to winning with melee. Viable in a T2 game.

Tibbit Dragonfire Adept 20 -- With one feat (Entangling Exhalation) you're awesome at level 1, and you remain valuable in any T3 game. Best of all, this can be you:

http://i.imgur.com/figguZO.jpg

Elf Warblade 10 / Eternal Blade 10 -- Built-in RP hints, plus you're an exceptionally tough badass and yet also an elf. It's the ultimate contradiction. Good for a T3 game.

(any) Scout 1 / Wizard 5 / Unseen Seer 10 / Fatespinner 4 -- RP your skirmish damage on spells as just knowing how to be in the right place at the right time. Suitable for a T1 game. If you're with a bunch of non-casters, or you want to conserve spell slots, pick up a [Reserve] feat that allows you to make ranged attacks all day -- something like Acidic Splatter or Invisible Needle.

Changeling Wizard 5 (use the racial sub levels) / Escalation Mage 6 / Recaster 5 / ____ 4 (capstone could be Fatespinner 4, Incantatrix 4, Archmage 4... or anything else that advances spellcasting, it's hard to go wrong at that point). You can invert Recaster <-> Escalation Mage, too. The racial sub levels make you a combined Transmuter + Illusionist, and you can swap around the bonus your Familiar gives. Suitable for a T1 game.

3 Intelligence Barbarian + Heavy Roleplay = What could possibly go wrong?

Yes!

Human Barbarian 4 / Fist of the Forest 3 / Frostrager 5 / Bear Warrior 8, break dragons with your fists! (Suitable for T3-T4.) Also be sure to take the Trapkiller ACF from Dungeonscape at level 3 so you can out-Search the party Rogue:

:thog: door not safe, thog smell abjuration

... or are you playing gestalt?

Binder 20 // Warlock 20 is fun in a T3 gestalt game, as is the slightly punchier Binder 20 // Warlock 17 / Hellfire Warlock 3. Any race works well here. You start out as a flexible all-day at-will caster, and then at level 12 you become an Artificer.

Psion 20 // Wildshape Ranger 5 / Master of Many Forms 10 / Warshaper 5 -- flexible & fun, also good with Wizard on the caster side. T1 gestalt.

Druid 20 // Scout 20 -- very strong yet not much more complex than a basic Druid, and Pounce + Skirmish + 5 natural attacks is brutally fun from level 5 all the way up. T1 gestalt.

Dragonwrought Kobold Dragonfire Adept 20 // Sorcerer 20 (or Sorc > PrC). "Fear me! Am True Dragon! Grrrrr!" -- inferiority complex, meet magical fire. You'll get along like a house on -- yep, there it goes. Suitable for T1 gestalt. Feats are tight, especially if you want the wings.