PDA

View Full Version : What spell or ability or ability were you FINALLY able to use...and????

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-10-13, 04:16 PM
As a Bard it seems like I have a couple spells which never gst used and my racial trait "mask of the wild", well I finally used it last night and got found and attacked.

Someday I'll try Charm Person out... its been there 5 levels.

Everstar
2017-10-13, 04:42 PM
Web.

I thought I would be at least be able to use this occasionally but I went three levels before a good opportunity presented itself. I was able to throw it up in an alleyway preventing some enemies from easily flanking our party. There were many failed saves in that alley, much to my happiness.

The next time I used Web in a later adventure, the Bard dropped a Wall of Thorns on roughly the same spot and decimated a group of barbarians. I don't think our DM will funnel a large group of enemies down a hallway anytime soon. :smallbiggrin:

Astofel
2017-10-13, 05:30 PM
Not me, but last session I ran the paladin got to make use of a feature we'd almost all forgotten about. Aura of Devotion, which prevents the charmed condition. I had an enemy warlock cast Dominate Person on the sorcerer, forgetting how the paladin's aura worked, and so did the players. It wasn't until the warlock's Gazer familiar used a fear ray that we realised that the Dominate should have failed, since I got the Aura of Devotion and Aura of Courage mixed up.

Someday I'd also like to see a bard make use of Countercharm.

Rebonack
2017-10-13, 05:43 PM
Black Tentacles. Ever since the Ranger and I combod Hunger of Hedar with Spike Growth the DM has been spreading out baddies quite a bit.

DarkKnightJin
2017-10-13, 05:43 PM
I finally got to use Eldritch Blast. On the Paladin/Warlock I had. ...and I roll a fricken 1. With crit fumble rules, I hit the Rogue that was grappling my intended target.. Luckily, I also rolled a 1 on damage, and I didn't have Agonizing Blast.

Sariel Vailo
2017-10-13, 05:58 PM
Faerie fire as a drow paladin of vebgence i forget about it and ijust felt dumb.aasimar fallen ability took days to remember to use it

Clone
2017-10-13, 09:28 PM
My Stone Sorcerer got to use Catapult in the best way last session. During a city riot, my party were trying to not bring attention to ourselves yet got attacked.

My sorcerer subtle spells catapult on a fish being cooked nearby, cracking one of the mob in the face and sending them in a confused tizzy after I shout "You've angered the fish god!".
Using the spell subtly again, the fish began to beat up the mob as I "warned" them of them angering the fish god. So many more uses of the spell in the future.

RickAllison
2017-10-13, 10:06 PM
Haste. In a party of speedsters and people that don't get a lot out of an attack, I always had better options for concentration. Then we happened to go up against an enemy that was incredibly hard to hit because he could see two seconds into the future but the sheer number of options restricted it to just dodging attacks and seeing how enemies would dodge. He was perfectly willing when he saw himself getting extra attacks and AC. He didn't enjoy it so much when I cut concentration on his turn and he was crippled for two turns. I never expected to use Haste as a debuff...

Asmotherion
2017-10-13, 10:47 PM
So, my Sorcerer/Warlock is a Devoted follower of Bahamut due to his Dragonic origin. This means that bringing harm to a good humanoid is a no-go, especially a party member...

...this also means that I have this Fireball sitting for a loooong time because there's always someone in melee by the time I'm about to cast. I finally got to use it by sneaking past the party because I believed the encounter would be too dangerous for them, and I didn't wish to bring them to their doom, so I tryed to settle it myself (in-game justification). When I finally got to use the Fireball, the targets ended up being Demons in disguise, so it did next to no damage to them naturally, and I had to kill them the old-fashion way (Eldritch Blasting) XD.

There's also this Hellish Rebuke that I have never actually found I'd rather spend my reaction on rather than Shield... I don't know, it might just be me, but I'd rathe heighten my chances of not taking damage for a full turn using a spell slot, rather than punishing a single creature that damaged me. When I used it, and rolled a discouraging total of 6, I knew I'd probably keep my reactions/1st level spell slots for Shield

I finally got to kill a goblin with a throwing dagger. It's my first kill in 5e (as a player) with an actual weapon (and not a spell/magically enhanced or magically wielded weapon), and the DM actually gave me an inspiration point for it.

ghost_warlock
2017-10-13, 11:36 PM
My vengeance paladin/hexblade warlock multiclass has been working towards destructive wave for months.

I started a new theurge (tempest) wizard for a high level game and used it in the first session :smallbiggrin:

Avonar
2017-10-14, 05:00 PM
We had more loot than we could carry.

The wizard then remembers the Tenser's Floating Disk that he's never used.

mephnick
2017-10-15, 12:53 PM
Someday I'd also like to see a bard make use of Countercharm.

Me too but it will never happen. It's really a tough ability to use.

furby076
2017-10-15, 09:16 PM
My ancients paladin hasnt had a chance to use misty step. When the dm told me i would have to take off my armor to get through a hole, to then fight black orcs, i decided to misty step. Didnt have a chance to do it either....so like 10 sessions and havent used it yet :(

I finally got to use zone of truth tonight :)

poolio
2017-10-16, 04:18 PM
My ancients paladin hasnt had a chance to use misty step. When the dm told me i would have to take off my armor to get through a hole, to then fight black orcs, i decided to misty step. Didnt have a chance to do it either....so like 10 sessions and havent used it yet :(

I finally got to use zone of truth tonight :)

I broke a game with zone of truth once, an AL game with a couple completely new players, was supposed to be a four hour game, i ended it in like an hour and a half lol

Arkhios
2017-10-16, 04:35 PM
Not me, but a player in the group I DM for finally got to try out Judgment with the Inquisitor Rogue subclass I designed, and got himself killed for that (I'm sorry, I didn't want that to happen).

Anyway, as the designer of said sub-class I was glad to see it worked really nicely and was far from over powered from my opinion.

Trampaige
2017-10-16, 05:22 PM
I took Wall of Fire when I reached warlock 7 on my bladelock/barbarian, expecting to never, ever actually cast it.

First session after the level up... I am 1000 feet up a sheer cliff face in the Underdark, dangling in a rope harness from the Monk, who is wearing gauntlets of ogre strength and slippers of spiderclimb, as we scout ahead of the party (we were trying to figure out how to deal with said thousand-and-god-knows-how-many-feet cliff without blowing all of the wizard's SP for the week on Fly. There were also quite a few beers had by this point, and I acquiesced and said screw it and went with the monk's idea.)

The DM forgot the monk had just taken the observant feat for his level up, and we got ambushed by 9 carrion crawlers, some of which immediately paralyzed the monk. I laughed off their attempts with my ring of free action.

It was at that point that I noticed the monk had specifically engineered the harness to have me 10 feet away from him, joking that he didn't want me to stab him with my polearm.

Which meant that I could perfectly drop a 20' diameter ring of fire around us, anchored sideways to the cliff face. Whoosh, enormous ring of blazing death erupts around us, causing the nearby crawlers to withdraw.

The cleric, who had been mostly on facebook, chimed in and said, 'Can you guys send us some kind of signal to help?'

I said, 'You mean besides the giant, 20'x20' blazing ring of fire, the only light source to be seen for miles?'

The monk makes his save and we start short bowing/eldritch blasting them while the wizard casts fly on our longbow rogue. We killed/ran them off with minimal resources spent.

Edit: Given the DM's ruling that creatures that begin their turn in the fire take no damage for passing through the wall, I'm probably never going to cast it again. Not really sure if that's RAI, but it definitely makes me less excited about using it.

alchahest
2017-10-16, 05:29 PM
level 15 EK, top of initiative, there are two groups of enemies, I stayed about 100 feet away to avoid counterspells and lobbed a fireball... only to be countered by a sorceror with a distant counterspell. I did what any good EK would do and action surged to shoot another one, but everyone saved and it did like 16 damage :(

Dalebert
2017-10-16, 08:48 PM
I used it ineffectively but I'll talk about when I finally used it effectively.

Gust of Wind.

It requires a 10 ft or 5 ft wide corridor though. Kept the 2nd enemy from being able to close with us. First time was in a 10 ft wide corridor but the enemy was too close at the start and kept being able to close. I have Shield Master so I should be able to push things back and have the spell keep them from closing.

sir_argo
2017-10-16, 10:01 PM
For my wizard, Clone and Demiplane. I couldn't wait to get to 13th level. I am now immortal.

For my monk, Shadow Step. Walking is so yesterday.