PDA

View Full Version : Divine Intervention help

Degwerks
2017-10-13, 05:53 PM
Does anyone know if there has been Sage Advice or errata on this Cleric ability?

Biggstick
2017-10-13, 06:17 PM
When you use it, unless you're level 20, you have a less then a 1 in 5 chance of it actually succeeding. And then, you can't use it again for 7 days. If it doesn't succeed, you can't try to use it again for a day.

It's a long shot ability that should only be used in the most dire of situations when you don't have much else to try. If a Player wants to try and use it in combat before level 20, odds are it's going to fail.

However, if it does succeed, the DM should probably have the spell-like effect succeed. In my experience, there isn't a DC being asked for so much as an incredible thing being asked for like bringing an ally back to life, or something along those lines.

Slipperychicken
2017-10-13, 06:27 PM
The hard-cap on ability scores in the game is 30, so if it was the god itself casting the spell, I'd consider its DCs to be 24 [i.e. 8+6(proficiency)+10(ability)], its attack bonuses to be +16 (i.e. 10 ability + 6 proficiency), its ability checks would be made at +10.

suplee215
2017-10-13, 06:31 PM
It is worded very vaguely and can suffer from DM's decision, but it cannot cheapen an encounter too often. 19% chance or less unless level 20, a week between uses if it work and a day if it doesn't. No one's battle plan will be "we'll divine intervention the guy and win". Personally I'll probably look at the highest spell that can be cast by the party and do damage 2 or 3 levels above it if damage is being asked for. It also should depend on what is being fought. A demon will probably be smited instantly, another god's worshiper might be partially protected by their god.

JackPhoenix
2017-10-13, 08:28 PM
The hard-cap on ability scores in the game is 30, so if it was the god itself casting the spell, I'd consider its DCs to be 24 [i.e. 8+6(proficiency)+10(ability)], its attack bonuses to be +16 (i.e. 10 ability + 6 proficiency), its ability checks would be made at +10.

Gods are higher than 20th level, though, and proficiency bonus gets up to 9