PDA

View Full Version : IC Character Sheet for a Video Game Character

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-10-13, 09:20 PM
I have a character who knows he's in a game and games the system from the inside. Other characters believe he's insane, even though he's actually correct. I want to give him access to his own character sheet as well as the various sourcebooks from 3.0, 3.5, and Pathfinder.

He has a pair of goggles attached to a horned helm (from the MIC), and I want them to do more than just give him darkvision or whatever. I want to give him a HUD (Heads-Up Display) using said goggles -- at least some of this would represented by his ranks in Knowledge (d20 System), but not all of it.

Question is, how do I give him what effectively amounts to a HUD with his character sheet et al in it? I'd also like it to be a little video gamey insofar as he gets access to an inventory and the like. I've already converted a possum pouch/handy haversack/enveloping pit/gloves of storing combo grafted into him (gives him three huge spaces that fit in a belly pouch with the benefits of a handy haversack for item retrieval, all of his items shrunk via the gloves of storing), so he can pull huge items out of his hammerspace at will.

Any ideas?

Also, anything else that helps him be more video gamey would be great. He's a jack of all trades (can fight, skillmonkey, and cast spells from various spell lists like nobody's business), and most of his WBL is tied up into adding magic item properties into various grafts so he can't lose his magical Christmas tree effects. He's high level (low epic), so money is hardly an object (at least, within reason).

Dromuthra
2017-10-13, 11:32 PM
Shame he's already built - the Urban Savant prestige class sounds exactly like what you want. Any way you could ask for a homebrew item to grant the class feature? There's some mild precedent with items granting evasion.

Captain Kablam
2017-10-14, 03:44 AM
Okay, well the question is what would the HUD display? I mean most of it just seems like stuff you can RP and act out and conveys no more added game benefit other than the fact that you are aware of your own health or how many arrows you have left.

Now, you can take inspiration from something like say Halo where you get a sort of radar, or Predator where the goggles can display more than just nightvision, but also thermal vision to see hidden enemies, and so on. And if you want to get even more cheesy, you can say that your helmet's targeting reticle gives you +2 on ranged attacks or something.

noob
2017-10-14, 04:35 AM
I have a character who knows he's in a game and games the system from the inside. Other characters believe he's insane, even though he's actually correct. I want to give him access to his own character sheet as well as the various sourcebooks from 3.0, 3.5, and Pathfinder.

He has a pair of goggles attached to a horned helm (from the MIC), and I want them to do more than just give him darkvision or whatever. I want to give him a HUD (Heads-Up Display) using said goggles -- at least some of this would represented by his ranks in Knowledge (d20 System), but not all of it.

Question is, how do I give him what effectively amounts to a HUD with his character sheet et al in it? I'd also like it to be a little video gamey insofar as he gets access to an inventory and the like. I've already converted a possum pouch/handy haversack/enveloping pit/gloves of storing combo grafted into him (gives him three huge spaces that fit in a belly pouch with the benefits of a handy haversack for item retrieval, all of his items shrunk via the gloves of storing), so he can pull huge items out of his hammerspace at will.

Any ideas?

Also, anything else that helps him be more video gamey would be great. He's a jack of all trades (can fight, skillmonkey, and cast spells from various spell lists like nobody's business), and most of his WBL is tied up into adding magic item properties into various grafts so he can't lose his magical Christmas tree effects. He's high level (low epic), so money is hardly an object (at least, within reason).

Since grafts are not magical items(since it is explicitly written they are not) and are never said to be items so you would need to convince the gm they are items and so that you can make them be masterwork and then enchant them to do your trick.
But since there is no definition of what would be a masterwork graft I have no idea if it is even possible even if they were items.

DMVerdandi
2017-10-14, 08:59 AM
lol, going for isekai genre, huh. "The gamer?"

The spell you are looking for is Greater Status.

What class is he? Factotum?

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-10-14, 10:58 AM
Shame he's already built - the Urban Savant prestige class sounds exactly like what you want. Any way you could ask for a homebrew item to grant the class feature? There's some mild precedent with items granting evasion.I've never actually seen the urban savant before. This looks like a pretty fascinating match for what I want, actually, though I'd have to refluff slightly.

Okay, well the question is what would the HUD display? I mean most of it just seems like stuff you can RP and act out and conveys no more added game benefit other than the fact that you are aware of your own health or how many arrows you have left.That's definitely a go-to option for personal stuff, but I'd also like to see enemy HP, have a minimap available, have a save/reload feature (even if it's just something that only vaguely maps to the idea of the "save/reload" paradigm), get protips (perhaps something like Navi/Zelda/Issun?) and be able to browse the game rules when they come into question.

Now, you can take inspiration from something like say Halo where you get a sort of radar, or Predator where the goggles can display more than just nightvision, but also thermal vision to see hidden enemies, and so on. And if you want to get even more cheesy, you can say that your helmet's targeting reticle gives you +2 on ranged attacks or something.It's a thought, certainly.

Since grafts are not magical items(since it is explicitly written they are not) and are never said to be items so you would need to convince the gm they are items and so that you can make them be masterwork and then enchant them to do your trick.
But since there is no definition of what would be a masterwork graft I have no idea if it is even possible even if they were items.I can think of a few ways. For instance, the illithid skin graft requires that you remove the skin of a humanoid creature. While that skin is removed, it's entirely possible to enhance it as a magic item, even via a roundabout method such as using polymorph any object to turn it into a ball of ectoplasm, enhance it as a psychoactive skin, and then graft it onto yourself. At that point, the Ancestral Relic feat could take it from there.

Alternatively, take the Landlord feat, PAO the skin into an outhouse or something, and apply the feat's monetary upgrades to it in the form of magic item properties.

lol, going for isekai genre, huh. "The gamer?"I've heard the original is lackluster at best, but I've been reading crossover fanfics lately, and I find the idea a fascinating one.

The spell you are looking for is Greater Status.Always on greater status effect on the goggles so they don't do nothing? Good idea.

What class is he? Factotum?Hoo boy.

If you really want to know...

He started out as a gestalt kobold, but he's used various class features, magic items, and feats to expand upon his race pretty significantly. He's also a massively monstrous mashup of various classes to get a little bit (or more often, a LOT) of just about everything.

Hive Minded Phenotypically Male Level 21 Unaligned Refluffed Prismatic Dragonwrought, Loredrake, Arctic Kobold (Animal, Dragon, Elemental, Fey, Giant, Humanoid, Outsider [Air, Cold, Evil, Fire, Good, Native, Human, Kobold, Reptilian, Swarm], Plant)

Gestalt Side #1: Divine Mind 1 / Spell Point, Sadist, Intercessor Vitalist 1 / Chain of Disbelief, Focus Caster, Spell Point, Prescience Diviner, Illusion Master, Combat, Divination\Illusionist\Transmutation, Spell Versatility Wizard 1 (ban Abjuration\Enchantment\Evocation\Necromancy) / Lurk 1 / Spell Point, Psionic Artificer 1 / Personal Space, Nomad Psion 1 / Astral Zealot 1 / Warshaper 1 / Planar Shepherd 1 / Fiend of Possession 1 / Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 1 / Phenotype Impressionist 1 / Illithid Savant 3 / Spell Point Sublime Chord 1 / Legacy Champion 1 / Master Transmogrifist 1 / Ambient Tempest (Psionic Adaptation) 1 / Hulking Hurler 1 / [EPIC ->] / Spell Point Chameleon 1

Gestalt Side #2: Nokizaru Spell Point PF Ninja 1 / Factotum 1 / Dashing Step City Brawler Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1 / Protector PF Psychic Warrior 1 / Binder 1 / Arcane Hunter, Wild Shape, Mystic Ranger 1 / Spell Point, Divine, Fey Bard 1 / Psi, Trickster Psithief (Psionic Spellthief) 1 / Blade Manifester (PF Deadly Fist, Gifted Blade Soulknife) 1 / Spell Point Oracle 1 / Spell Point, Cold Iron Warden, Ravener Hunter, Monster Tactician, Youxia Inquisitor 1 / Totemist 1 / Bane of the Clockwork, Martial, Decisive Strike, Weapon Adept PF Unchained Monk 1 / Spell Point, Urban Companion, Druidic Avenger Druid 1 / Spell Point Healer 1 / Spell Point, Cloistered Cleric of Magic (ie Mystra) 1 (Knowledge\Rune\Good Domains) / Substitute Powers Ardent 1 (Freedom\Magic Mantles) / Crusader 1 / Warblade 1 / Swordsage 1 / [EPIC ->] / Spell Point Dread Necromancer 1

Note that he uses illithid savant to eat a few high level legacy champions to add more effective levels onto illithid savant, then he uses even more effective class levels to expand upon many of the above classes (so even though he's only got one actual level of Io7V, he's got all the abilities of that class).

Yes, it's pretty horrific and isn't really usable outside of TO, usually, but remember: he's got access to the rules and is using them to his advantage.

This is basically a way to keep up while avoiding using epic spellcasting in an epic game.

The Viscount
2017-10-14, 11:38 AM
Knowledge Devotion seems to me a pretty good way of integrating the "protips"

Deathwatch would give a rather more old-fashioned version of approximating enemy's health, more like glowing read when low than a numeric readout.

Healer's Vision similarly approximates a sort of "hit in the weak point for bonus damage" in the style of House of the Dead and similar.

noob
2017-10-14, 12:49 PM
Save and load can be done with a loyal construct on which you cast forced dream and then that you plunge in quintessence then have some way to do that whenever you want he gets pulled out of the quintessence(and record all the info you want into it) and use his forced dream power to restart at the start of his round(which is right before he was plunged in quintessence)

Menzath
2017-10-14, 01:47 PM

So a video game version of red mage from 8bit theater. And without the ability to edit his "sheet".

If anything to "view" his stats as part of his hud... Make it a combo of a modified status spell that only affects yourself or allies, with an illusion that shows said display.