PDA

View Full Version : Read the entire Book of Vile Darkness, would like emotional balance

PrexotGoldenPi
2017-10-13, 10:31 PM
I just read through the entire Book of Vile Darkness in one sitting as a self-challenge.
Is there like an opposite rulebook about celestials and good things that I could read to restore my personal balance between Good and Evil?

lunaticfringe
2017-10-13, 10:37 PM
The book of exalted deeds

Nifft
2017-10-13, 10:38 PM
There's a Book of Exalted Deeds, but I'm not sure it'll restore balance.

The BoVD is supposed to be used for antagonists, as in acceptable targets for the swords & smites of the PCs.

The emotional balance happens when the swords & smites of the PCs solve the problem by slaying the antagonists, foiling the plans, smashing the evil temple, etc.

ATHATH
2017-10-13, 10:47 PM
Yup. The Book of Exalted Deeds is probably what you're looking for.

Boci
2017-10-14, 12:52 AM
There's a Book of Exalted Deeds, but I'm not sure it'll restore balance.

The BoVD is supposed to be used for antagonists, as in acceptable targets for the swords & smites of the PCs.

The emotional balance happens when the swords & smites of the PCs solve the problem by slaying the antagonists, foiling the plans, smashing the evil temple, etc.

It was also intended for PCs, and a lot of the logic behind it was questionable. I remember it said players with evil characters will sometimes happily have them lose at the end of the game, an attitude I am yet to encounter an example of.

Maybe emotional balance could be restored by reading a good D&D splat book? Possibly even Champion of Ruin.

OldTrees1
2017-10-14, 02:35 AM
I just read through the entire Book of Vile Darkness in one sitting as a self-challenge.
Is there like an opposite rulebook about celestials and good things that I could read to restore my personal balance between Good and Evil?

Depending on your age? No.

There is the Book of Exalted Deeds but in some ways it is the more vile of the two tomes.

So instead here is a song dedicated to the pure and angelic ideals: The Impossible Dream (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfHnzYEHAow). This should help restore balance with regards of some of the BoVD. The rest of the balance is for mature audiences only and thus not something I can post here but it boils down to Consent.

Metahuman1
2017-10-14, 03:09 AM
If you like martials and not just Anime/Wuxia/eastern style warriors being baddass but the higher end of warriors prowess exploits of the likes of Beowulf, Conan The Barbarian/Red Sonja/all the other Robert E. Howard main characters, the Nordic saga's, the more outlandish feats of combat ability of all of Arthurian Lore, Greek/Roman/Celtic feats of warrior badassdom from there assorted myths,

then try reading Tome of Battle. That might help some. =)

Vinyadan
2017-10-14, 03:54 AM
Try the Book of Erotic Fantasies. Make love, not deeds! :P