PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Tempest Cleric stat advice

stuffnsuch
2017-10-14, 01:23 PM
Hi there

I have a level 1 High Elf (+2 DEX, +1 INT) Tempest Cleric who has only had one game so far and I'd like some help with his stats.
By rearranging my original Point Buy I've realised I can get +2 INT at the cost of -1 CON

With point buy I had gone for:
9, 16, 15, 10, 15, 8 which with the first ASI will become 9, 16, 16, 10, 16, 8
but now i'm thinking i should have gone with :
8, 16, 14, 13, 15, 8 which with the first ASI will become 8, 16, 14, 14, 16, 8

Reducing his CON from +3 to +2 affects his HP, saving throw, and obviously, his spell concentration...is it is worth the +2 to all the INT abilities and saving throw?

RP: He was a middling student in an academic High Elf society with an inventive curious spirit who got caught up in an invasion of his town (haven't we all?) He gathered together a small military insurgency and used his engineering skills to harness natural lightning against his enemy...which caught the attention of a god who brought him to the Tempest Domain.
So RP wise there's an argument to made either way

EDIT: Party = me, Rogue, Warlock, Barb but unsure of subclasses as we're level 1

Christian
2017-10-14, 02:02 PM
From a CO point of view, no. That extra point of Con bonus will be much more useful, in general, than two points of Int. A cleric is generally expected to be at least a backup tank, so you're going to take some hits; the hit points and the extra point on Concentration saving throws will come in very handy, and there are almost certainly going to be party members who can cover the Int skill checks better than you can, whether your Int is 10 or 14.

From a RP/flavor point of view, that high-Int array looks a lot more like the character you described. So I'd go with that.

Edit: just saw your edit. With that party composition, it looks like you're likely to be the brains of the operation, so you should probably have some. :) Your skill-monkey is the Rogue, and unless he's delving into a lot of Int skills, your team will need someone who knows stuff about stuff.

stuffnsuch
2017-10-14, 02:16 PM
Sorry, I should've marked my edit at the bottom.

You see the conundrum! And the RP can go either way. I imagine it'll be me'n'barb in melee with the rogue nipping in and out with rapiers and the warlock at range but anyone's strategies should/could change as we level up and settle into our characters and I don't know if I'll be stepping on the Rogue's toes in terms of skills so maybe I should just flip a coin!