PDA

View Full Version : Worse than a papercut...

Triaxx
2007-08-15, 08:56 PM
I'm not sure where you might fit this in. It seems strong for a feat, hard to place as an ability, and weird as a spell. So I'll present it here:

Page Jam
After using this ability on an opposing caster roll a d10, to determine spell level, and a d6 to determine length. Any character which casts from a spell book finds themselves unable to cast spells of any level other than that which the d10 roll came up. This effect lasts for the length of the d6.

It was inspired by my slow internet connection, which frequently stops loading a page at 38%, and which I call page jam.

Anyone who can help me figure out where to go with this, or any balance problems would be great.

TheLogman
2007-08-15, 09:15 PM
Base ability of a new prestige class? Perhaps something like a "Chaos Mage"? His abilities rely mostly on luck, and his spells per day twice that of a wizard, but he has to roll dice to decide which spells he gets, instead of preparing them.

SurlySeraph
2007-08-15, 09:16 PM
I'd put it as a spell, but damned if I can decide what level it should be at. Also, by "duration," what do you mean? For d6 rounds? It would also make a good class ability for some kind of anti-caster class.

Triaxx
2007-08-16, 01:53 PM
@TheLogman: I like that, even if I was thinking of it as something for a wizard hunting class. Could be very interesting.

@SurlySeraph: Perhaps have it as a divine spell? Up between levels six and eight?

As to duration, I meant, how long the caster is only able to use spells of that level. As a spell, it would per four caster levels, as an ability, per three class levels for each die. So a spell would be 3-6d6 rounds, and an ability could max at 6d6 rounds. Perhaps starting as d4's, instead of d6's and then jumping half way.

So you'd start by jamming them up for 1-4 rounds, and then progress to 6-36. Perhaps a will save for half.

DracoDei
2007-08-16, 04:53 PM
And what would normally be read as a '10' on the die, gets read as a ZERO just this once? Makes more sense than having a %10 chance of shutting them down completely even for 17+ level opponents.

Does it also affect scroll use? Definitely think it shouldn't affect wands, staves, potions, etc. both as a limiting factor and because it fits the style better.

Triaxx
2007-08-16, 05:19 PM
That's what I had in mind. Either that, or reading as a level higher than they eliminate. So rolling a one eliminates cantrips, and a ten takes level nines. But 10 as 0 works well.

You're right. I'd forgotten scrolls completely. Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but wouldn't Bards and Sorcerors be immune to this as well?