PDA

View Full Version : Call of Cthulhu 7e One Shot?

Testdummy
2017-10-14, 11:44 PM
Hi all, I'm looking to run a one-shot for friends on Halloween in CoC 7e. I've never played before (though am an experienced GM in several other systems) and am planning on using the quickstart rules available free online. Is the adventure contained there (The Haunting) solid, or are there others you would recommend?

Thanks!

Mordar
2017-10-16, 04:49 PM
Hi all, I'm looking to run a one-shot for friends on Halloween in CoC 7e. I've never played before (though am an experienced GM in several other systems) and am planning on using the quickstart rules available free online. Is the adventure contained there (The Haunting) solid, or are there others you would recommend?

Thanks!

For a Halloween story, yes, I think so. It isn't very "C'thulhu-y" from a mythos perspective, or from what a normal CoC game should be (in terms of the adversary and "type" of spooky)...but it does settle nicely as a system introduction and a investigative spook story.

I recommend it for your purposes.

- M

Magua
2017-10-18, 08:23 AM
I ran "The Derelict" recently and was very fond of it. Much more "Alien" than investigation-y. Depends on you and your player's taste.

"Uncle Timothy's Will" is also a good one, in my opinion.

Beelzebub1111
2017-10-18, 04:42 PM
I ran "The Derelict" recently and was very fond of it. Much more "Alien" than investigation-y. Depends on you and your player's taste.

"Uncle Timothy's Will" is also a good one, in my opinion.

I played The Derelict recently and I will second that it's really great. I ended up being the "lucky" one that could see it.

JamesDodds
2017-10-24, 01:15 PM
...7e? Cthulu?

Sign me up!

some guy
2017-10-25, 09:59 AM
For a Halloween story, yes, I think so. It isn't very "C'thulhu-y" from a mythos perspective, or from what a normal CoC game should be (in terms of the adversary and "type" of spooky)...but it does settle nicely as a system introduction and a investigative spook story.

I recommend it for your purposes.

- M

Seconded.
I've ran it at least four times now. It's very fun to run. Don't be afraid to add some extra signs of haunting. The last time I ran it, when the group entered the house for the second time I had Corbitt remove all the religious items and let the investigators find them in disturbing fashions (a Maria statue with hands before her eyes, while her hands were first folded, all the crosses rammed upside down in the ceiling below the bare bedroom, a bleeding Jesus statue in the cookingpot, that kind of things (all good for a minor sanity check)).

There's also several nice handouts for the Haunting findable on the internet (I think the Yog-Sothoth forum is the best place to look for handouts and tips.
Here is at least one (https://www.scribd.com/doc/50570479/Scenario-Support-the-Haunting-Newspapers-call-of-cthulhu)