PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other How to get cost to make a ring of "Cure Minor Wounds" at will

Nemesis306
2017-10-15, 01:01 AM
I am confused with the rules in the 3.5 DMG on how to arrive at a cost to make a: Ring of "Cure Minor Wounds" at will.
Could I get a final cost for this magic item from anyone?
And even better yet show the calculations on how to make an Ring of "Cure Minor Wounds" at will, magic item?

rferries
2017-10-15, 01:12 AM
If you go here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)and scroll down you can find the calculations for making magic items.

By the rules as written, the ring you describe would cost 1,000 gp.

(0th level spell, so 1/2 the cost of a 1st level spell (spell level 1 x caster level 1 x 2,000 for use-activated))

Note that you have to spend actions to use the ring (it doesn't heal you automatically).

Note also that this type of item is generally frowned upon - in most games healing is limited. Compare a ring of regeneration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#regeneration) - costs 90,000 gp and only gives you 1 hp per hour. Your DM may or may not let you get away with it.

Jormengand
2017-10-15, 07:47 PM
A ring of at-will cure minor wounds would cost 1800*1/2*1=900 GP and requires a standard action each time to use. A ring of continuous cure minor wounds would cost 2000*1/2*1=1000 GP and changes the healing to a continuous effect which repeatedly heals you always and forever (this is somewhat disputed as to how, or whether, such a ring would actually work). In general, however, the pricing is a guideline and few DMs will let you get away with either ring.

rferries
2017-10-15, 10:24 PM
A ring of at-will cure minor wounds would cost 1800*1/2*1=900 GP and requires a standard action each time to use. A ring of continuous cure minor wounds would cost 2000*1/2*1=1000 GP and changes the healing to a continuous effect which repeatedly heals you always and forever (this is somewhat disputed as to how, or whether, such a ring would actually work). In general, however, the pricing is a guideline and few DMs will let you get away with either ring.

I think x1800 is for command-word items, though (basically use-activated but you need a password too).

x2000 is for both use-activated (without a password) and continuous (i.e. permanent version of any non-instantaneous effect), I think.

Jormengand
2017-10-15, 11:01 PM
I think x1800 is for command-word items, though (basically use-activated but you need a password too).

x2000 is for both use-activated (without a password) and continuous (i.e. permanent version of any non-instantaneous effect), I think.

Command word is the standard activation for at-will items. "Use-activated" means "Activated automatically when you use the item". This is why people go on about use-activated true strike (for a cheap +20 to every attack roll) because it allows you to get a true strike whenever you use the weapon. On a ring, use-activated is meaningless. Continuous is a permanent version of any effect (you might ask what healing with a duration and damage with a duration do, which is a very good question (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/iceStorm.htm) with a very bad answer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20463540&postcount=431), but there's nothing explicitly stopping you from making a continuous version of an instantaneous effect (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21590598&postcount=39) apart from, again, the fact that these are explicitly guidelines and not rules. The conclusion of all this is, of course, inevitable (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21563124&postcount=23)).

rferries
2017-10-16, 12:23 AM
Fair enough, but since the item is specifically duplicating cure minor wounds (rather than granting fast healing/regeneration) I'd still rule that you need to take a standard action to activate it, especially at such a low price :D

Jormengand
2017-10-16, 08:55 AM
Fair enough, but since the item is specifically duplicating cure minor wounds (rather than granting fast healing/regeneration) I'd still rule that you need to take a standard action to activate it, especially at such a low price :D

I mean, yes, I too am against 1000 GP immortality rings which heal you to full HP as a state-based action. But honestly 900 GP for all the out of combat healing you'll ever need is a little bit powerful (wands of whatever healing spell you're after will cost almost as much and not last). Items of use-activated true strike and guidance of the avatar and continuous healing or damage are part of the reason how we know that the custom item rules are broken just by looking at them. More sensible uses, such as a sword which is always dripping with poison (that is, use-activated poison), can be priced roughly according to them.

Westhart
2017-10-16, 09:05 AM
I mean, yes, I too am against 1000 GP immortality rings which heal you to full HP as a state-based action. But honestly 900 GP for all the out of combat healing you'll ever need is a little bit powerful (wands of whatever healing spell you're after will cost almost as much and not last). Items of use-activated true strike and guidance of the avatar and continuous healing or damage are part of the reason how we know that the custom item rules are broken just by looking at them. More sensible uses, such as a sword which is always dripping with poison (that is, use-activated poison), can be priced roughly according to them.

How about the ring of time stop :smalltongue:

Jormengand
2017-10-16, 10:58 AM
How about the ring of time stop :smalltongue:

Continuous time stop doesn't work for the same reason persist time stop doesn't - persist time stop changes the actual time you spend from 1 round to 24 hours, not how long you get to act from 1d4 rounds to 24 rounds - so you get to take 1d4 rounds of actions in the next 24 hours. Continous time stop would cause you only to be able to take 1d4 rounds of actions over the length of time you had the item equipped.

At-will time stop, though, would indeed be excessively powerful.

Westhart
2017-10-16, 11:00 AM
Continuous time stop doesn't work for the same reason persist time stop doesn't - persist time stop changes the actual time you spend from 1 round to 24 hours, not how long you get to act from 1d4 rounds to 24 rounds - so you get to take 1d4 rounds of actions in the next 24 hours. Continous time stop would cause you only to be able to take 1d4 rounds of actions over the length of time you had the item equipped.

At-will time stop, though, would indeed be excessively powerful.

Yeah, I meant at will :smalltongue: