PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Controlling Undead help

GuestEleven
2017-10-15, 10:14 AM
So I'm working on a character meant to control a serious undead horde, but I've come across the problem of Command Undead and the fact that I will only have two levels in Cleric and one in Wizard. The feat Command Undead reads as such:
As a standard action, you can use one of your uses of channel negative energy to enslave undead within 30 feet. Undead receive a Will save to negate the effect. The DC for this Will save is equal to 10 + 1/2 your cleric level + your Charisma modifier. Undead that fail their saves fall under your control, obeying your commands to the best of their ability, as if under the effects of control undead. Intelligent undead receive a new saving throw each day to resist your command. You can control any number of undead, so long as their total Hit Dice do not exceed your cleric level. If you use channel energy in this way, it has no other effect (it does not heal or harm nearby creatures). If an undead creature is under the control of another creature, you must make an opposed Charisma check whenever your orders conflict.
Which is well and fine, pretty weak as is but I may be able to find ways to beef up how many HD of Undead I can control regardless of the low Cleric level. What has threw a wrench in my gears and is making me question what I know is the Dread Lich template. It reads as such:
The dread lich’s caster level for the Command Undead feat is either 15 or 2 + its divine caster level, whichever is greater.
In Command Undead's reading there is no specific reading of caster levels, only Cleric levels. So what I am wondering is if when somethings says for instance 'Cleric level' should it be read as caster level? Or does the CL bump pertain only to the "as if under the effects of control undead" of Command Undead? Thanks in advance for any help.

GilesTheCleric
2017-10-15, 12:38 PM
Cleric level and caster level are distinct and separate. You might check to see if there's any errata, otherwise the Dread Lich will always be relying on its cleric levels for the DC of the feat.

GuestEleven
2017-10-15, 12:55 PM
Cleric level and caster level are distinct and separate. You might check to see if there's any errata, otherwise the Dread Lich will always be relying on its cleric levels for the DC of the feat.

I couldn't find any errata, but by that logic a Wizard that gains Command Undead through Necromancy Arcane School would be able to control no undead unless they took Cleric levels. This is why I think the use of 'cleric' in Command Undead's reading should be considered interchangeable.

GilesTheCleric
2017-10-15, 01:05 PM
I couldn't find any errata, but by that logic a Wizard that gains Command Undead through Necromancy Arcane School would be able to control no undead unless they took Cleric levels. This is why I think the use of 'cleric' in Command Undead's reading should be considered interchangeable.

Welcome to RAW. It doesn't always make sense. Your GM might be willing to houserule it, which is probably the best solution.

GuestEleven
2017-10-15, 01:07 PM
I figured that would be what it came down to, but I thought someone may know so that I could have an official idea.

grarrrg
2017-10-15, 11:55 PM
Channel level is not the same as Caster level, Paladin is a good example for this.
Paladin Channel Energy entry:
"A paladin uses her level as her effective cleric level when channeling positive energy."
Paladin Spellcasting:
"... her caster level is equal to her paladin level – 3."

What is a bit odd is that any class that gains straight up "Channel" (Paladin, Life Oracle) usually has a line about "effective Cleric level", whereas those gain "Channel but only for Command Undead" (Necro-Wizard, Bones Oracle) are lacking this line.
The intent is very likely that they should have an "effective Cleric level" as well, otherwise the ability/feat would be utterly worthless.

As for the original question
"The dread lich’s caster level for the Command Undead feat is either 15 or 2 + its divine caster level, whichever is greater."
Intent is probably somewhere around "The dread lich's effective cleric level for the Command Undead feat is either 15 or 2+ its [already existing effective cleric level], whichever is greater"

Psyren
2017-10-16, 12:14 AM
Dread Lich is third party so you might want to reach out to the authors to see what they intended. It seems to me that they simply misread the feat.