PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Build Clarification Help (Paragon Surge)

DwarfInTheFlask
2017-10-15, 01:58 PM
Ok so we all know about Paragon Surge being Nerfed.

But why does Paragon Surge not work with Emergency Attunement?
From what I have read it seems like it should actually work. I was asked this by a friend who saw the combo on a forum and he wanted to possibly bring it into a game but I had to admit I didn't know if its rules legal and our DM is a bit strict on that.

He knows I like to look up rules and how they play so he came to me. But honestly I am not seeing why they shouldn't work other than it undoes a Nerf designed by the designers. So RAW instead of RAI

Paragon Surge's last paragraph says "The first time each day that you cast this spell, you must select a feat and make all the associated choices that come with it. Once that choice is made, it is set for the day and additional castings must make the exact same decisions."

EA says that for a standard action you can alter one of your abjuration or transmutation spells (Paragon Surge is a Transmutation Spell). So that checks out so far. Then it says must currently be effecting you (So you need to cast PS first) and must grant a choice. The spell grants a choice when you cast it. The second time you cast it you are still given a choice. But there is only one option, you MUST make those decisions again. The paragraph specifically calls out making the exact same decisions. Then EA says you change the benefit to a different one of the same list. I.E you change the feat to another feat acceptable for the spell.

So where is the issue? More or less I am looking for either information to explain why it won't work. Or give him some evidence to take to the DM rather than just "Hey this should work, and would be totally cool"

Rynjin
2017-10-15, 03:06 PM
I think the main argument would be that Paragon Surge specifies the choice is "set for the day", which could be meant to preclude any kind of change, ever.

Other than that it looks like it works.

DwarfInTheFlask
2017-10-15, 03:15 PM
Rynjin that is what I thought to. But all spells are SET for the time of casting when you make them normally. EA lets you change it even after a normal spell is set. So if the process is "Cast spell>Make Choice>Choice Becomes Set> Emergency Attunement used> Choice is Changed> New Choice is Set" it would work. Since that is basically how the normal flow of a spell with choices is made too.

Psyren
2017-10-16, 12:28 AM
It depends on how your GM reads "all associated choices." It could go either way.

If your GM rules against you, just take the feat normally.

DwarfInTheFlask
2017-10-16, 01:50 AM
It depends on how your GM reads "all associated choices." It could go either way.

If your GM rules against you, just take the feat normally.

How else can you read All Associated Choices?

Psyren
2017-10-16, 02:11 AM
How else can you read All Associated Choices?

Your GM could rule that (a) the choice of what spell to alter with the feat and (b) how to alter it, are both choices that would be locked in the first time you gain the feat via PS. Or they could rule that just one of these count, or neither.