PDA

View Full Version : Optimization A query for the cheesiest of lords out there

Sleven
2017-10-15, 05:34 PM
You're playing a Venerable Dragonwrought Riddled Spellhoarding Loredrake Kobold. You have two options:

1) Sorcerer / Erudite / Mind Mage / Cerebremancer

2) Sorcerer / Incantatrix / Dweomerkeeper / (anything else you want)

Third level start, game planned to make it to high levels and spend a good chunk of time there.

Which do you pick and why? What would your choice ingredients be to add a bit of extra spice?

(Note 1: not here to make this a rules discussion about how you think Spellhoarding works with levels of Sorcerer, what the status of a Dragonwrought Kobold is, whether you think Erudite is no longer qualified if they have more PrC levels than class levels, etc. Everything posted is assumed to work with the given options available to each class.)

(Note 2: the Sorcerer / Erudite / Mind Mage / Cerebremancer option will get to 9th level spells and powers (Sorc 18th and Erudite 17th, respectively) by virtue of early entry and a Greater Draconic Rite of Passage, level adjustments are a no-go (so no White Dragonspawn template), but spending flat amounts of exp is fine (though this does not allow for a LA buy off)

EDIT: (Note 3: while I have played a Sorc/tatrix/keeper before, I've never had the opportunity to play a Mind Mage.)

EDIT2: This would be easier if I could make a poll.

Cosi
2017-10-15, 05:51 PM
Whether Erudite is a good plan or not depends on how much cheese you think your DM will let you get away with. If you think tracking down and brainhumping members of every casting class in the game will be a go, it is quite good. If you do it, it is "basically a psion, but worse" and you should avoid it. Given that your DM is letting you play a "Venerable Dragonwrought Riddled Spellhoarding Loredrake", I would assume that a reasonable amount of cheese is on the table, so you could go the Erudite direction.

That said, there's a lot of value to be gained from being a Dweomerkeeper. Notably, limited wish for awaken + polymorph + Supernatural Spell lets you cheese your CHA score up arbitrarily high. Also, in a sufficiently high-op campaign you might get a decent chunk of what you would get from being a Erudite from using WBL breaking to get amounts of Knowstones that are "very large".

thethird
2017-10-16, 10:24 AM
If you are being cheesy you don't want to be the erudite itself. You want to be the psion/wilder with the erudite cohort/thrall.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-10-16, 10:48 AM
Mind Mage with Psiotheurgist and possibly Chameleon Crafting. Both are Dragon #349 feats.

Psiotheurgy stacks your ML and CL for spells and powers of a specific school and matching discipline.
Chameleon Crafting lets you place any spell or power into any kind of created item. For example, you can make power stones of spells, or scrolls of psionic powers. It functions as spell-to-power++, but costs a lot more XP. If you can cheese some cost reduction in there (Magical Artisan, Legendary Artisan), you can get a massively deep spell and power list.